Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

wireless card as an access point

• 02-12-2003 8:15pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭

just wondering is it possible to get a wireless card for an pc running windows and then cofigure ir to be an access point! Any drivers or tools out there to do the trick?

think there is definatley something out there for linux but windows is the platform im looking at
    (want to configure a firewall on the pc so that all devices connected to the wireless access point are allready firewall protected:D )

i know what most of ye are going to say
    get an external wireless access point like this

http://www.linksys.com/Products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=35&prid=508

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

IPCop Can do this.

If you wait until version 1.4 comes out (3 weeks?), it will have wifi support built in.

It a piece of piss to setup, and control is via web interface.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭daveharlowe

Originally posted by jank
    just wondering is it possible to get a wireless card for an pc running windows and then cofigure ir to be an access point! Any drivers or tools out there to do the trick?

Hi,

You could try using the me2000 images here : http://www.me2000.net/

I use them to set up wireless nodes so as to allow a network to be built over wide areas using regular consumer radio cards, such as the Dell Truemobile 1150 PCMCIA client card.

Here is what it looks like (no GUI interface, but there is a text based interface) via an ssh session :

regards,
    Dave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

There is an article in the register today that mentions software that does exactly what you want (cost = $30) (the name of the article is "The end of the Wireless access point?") ... I'm sure that there must be freeware that does the same thing .....

w00t 1000th post :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

In Linux you can get a Prism II to act as an AP
    In BSD it's the Lucent card that can be made into an AP
    I've heard of a windows hack to do this too to a lucent - but why bother ?

In Windows ZoomAir did not make AP's but they had a program to do that. - Two problems - the sw cost $60 and if the client drivers were any indicator then it'd be very buggy.

AP's are cheap anyway.

Smartbridges make USB and Ethernet units that can act as an AP or a Client (in addition to thier usual clients)

You say windows and firewall as if you could fit both on the same PC !
    Ping WinFire -t while the windows "firewall" starts up - if you are not using the built in firewall in XP / 2K you WILL get replies since the NIC driver loads before the Firewall app, also even when bluescreened the NIC will still reply to pings even though the firewall app has crashed... So you can be attacked during startup or maybe by a variant of the ping of death (how many more holes ???)

In fairness though my Win98 Router (hack job) (Orinoco Client) didn't care when M$Blaster was doing the rounds a while back..

Advertisement