Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

o2 conducting a video service trial

Options
  • 02-12-2003 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭

I just got a call from o2, they were asking me if I wanted to take part in trials of their new video service.

Basically what the woman on the phone said is that my name was selected at random and they were running trials where they would give you free access to news/sport headlines in video format (real one AFAIK) over GPRS for six weeks and after the six weeks they would contact me again for feedback.

I obliged because it's free and there's nothing to lose, She said that she would send me out details and stuff in the post. As soon as I get the package in the post, I'll let everyone hear know what my first impressions.

Did anybody else hear about this or has anyone else been phoned by o2 about this trial.

By the way, I was probably chosen because I have a nokia 3650 and they have real player installed when you get them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

they ran a trial it in the UK earlier in the year saying they would be using the Nokia 7650 / 3650 and XDA - afaik it is using MPEG-4 (3GPP) rather than an actual 'Real Video' stream though

they have since launched the service in the UK details here, would have been great for any rugby fans during the world cup

there is more background on the service here:
    http://www.o2.co.uk/video

BrianG

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Yeah I saw some stuff on this. Basically its using some savage compression techniques developed by BT to allow 3G services to be used on currrent GPRS phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Originally posted by DubWireless
    they ran a trial it in the UK earlier in the year saying they would be using the Nokia 7650 / 3650 and XDA - afaik it is using MPEG-4 (3GPP) rather than an actual 'Real Video' stream though

they have since launched the service in the UK details here, would have been great for any rugby fans during the world cup

there is more background on the service here:
    http://www.o2.co.uk/video

BrianG

Thanks for the details Brian, I appreciate it.I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Originally posted by JesusThatsGreat
    Basically its using some savage compression techniques developed by BT...

their pilot was run with a company called Emblaze who have a background in mobile video tech - not 100% what they are encoding with though - they have a Mobile Operator platform offering MPEG4 (3GPP), MS Video and H.264
    Originally posted by JesusThatsGreat
    ... allow 3G services to be used on currrent GPRS phones.

ah now :) - this service enables video streaming over 2.5G - phrases such as "3G like services over current 2.5G" is used by operators / marketing / sales / analysts who want to throw the term 3G in whenever they can... as their previous timetables / presentations / business plans / reports had us all walking around with 3G handsets doing amaing things at this stage (or even some time ago!)

it is basic video over 2.5G nothing more nothing less - good to see people working at the solution producing codecs and working on better ones which will make video even better when 3G does arrive - but it isn't a 3G service - being video on demand over 2.5G it is a 2.5G service :) - video on demand over 3G will be a 3G service...

BrianG

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

*cough*Ericsson*cough* have had serveral video streaming systems installed recently.
    If you had a p800/n3650 you could have watched the RWC on your phone (and you lived in the right place).

The quality isn't quite TV - but its better than just standing @ a bus stop

• Advertisement

Originally posted by DubWireless
    ah now :) - this service enables video streaming over 2.5G - phrases such as "3G like services over current 2.5G" is used by operators / marketing / sales / analysts who want to throw the term 3G in whenever they can... as their previous timetables / presentations / business plans / reports had us all walking around with 3G handsets doing amaing things at this stage (or even some time ago!)

it is basic video over 2.5G nothing more nothing less - good to see people working at the solution producing codecs and working on better ones which will make video even better when 3G does arrive - but it isn't a 3G service - being video on demand over 2.5G it is a 2.5G service :) - video on demand over 3G will be a 3G service...

BrianG

Ah sure thats what I get for reading something on a BT graduate site nearly a year ago... And by 3G like service, you know what I mean.

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    And by 3G like service, you know what I mean.

sure - just need to nip these marketing type phrases in the bud as often as possible ;)

if i took a flight to the US on 'budget airlines' i'd be getting a 'concorde like service' - in that i'd be flying in a plane to the US - but the experience would be very different...

when people watch what is a basic quality video stream over 2.5G and get told this it is what a 3G service will be like... they could easily be disillusioned (probably not a good idea to do that to them again after the whole internet on your handset hype when WAP was launched)

BrianG

To be honest, from what I read up on it, BT were using this as a way of justifying the delay in network rolling out 3G networks. Leveraging existing infrastructure was the term they used i think :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Just got a letter from TNS mrbi on behalf of o2, I'll type out the more important points on the letter here.
    Dear David,

Thank you very much for agreeing....
    This letter contains all you need to know about the trial, including instructions on how to install the video-streaming service on your nokia 3650 phone.

Your agreement to participate in this trial means you will be amongst the first people Ireland to try mobile phone video-streaming. Your usage of the service will be totally free for the duration of the trial. All that we ask is that, when we call you in mid-January, you take 10 minutes out of your day to answer some questions on your experiences with the service....

A pretty comprehensive FAQ follows, I have heavily paraphrased it, and omitted questions I didn't find to be particularly relevant.
    What Video Content will be available?
    Sky News, CNN, BBC and EMI, ranging from continuous Live News to Music and Comedy clips

How will I get the video streaming application?
    An MMS message will be sent to you on Friday December 5th

How much will it cost?
    Free, Usage is unlimited.

Will the clips be stored on my phone?
    No.

Can my Friends use the application?
    We would encourage you to show the application for friends. However, usage of the service is confined to people with the nokia 3650 handsets. O2 have made changes to your account to ensure that you are not charged for the clips. Thus, if a different SIM is used in your handset, that account will be charged.

How long will the trial run?
    6 Weeks.

The real letter was a lot more professional than that, but I shortened it up for time-saving purposes. The letter claims that the service will only work on the 3650 but I presume it will work on all phones with real media installed. I'll post more info when I get the MMS from o2 on friday along with my first impressions.

Advertisement