Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For the last time: Q3A or UT ?!?!?!?

Options
  • 05-12-1999 4:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭

So which has the greater following at the minute ?

Some says its 80/20 to UT, some say thats ****e!

What will it be ?

I'm UT

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

ut all the way

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭juNkie

UT

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Chaos

quake2/muppets = ut
    tongue.gif

www.gibworld.com/chaos
    Ps 0wns U

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

UT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

To be honest I think UT has more ppl but it looks like a bit of a "tribes" following to me.

aka. They make a lot of noise but in the end they all return to quake.

Q3a all the way baby.

El

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Q3A is the only way to go and ye all know it! smile.gif

Jimmy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭2040

G'way with your UT .Quake was the original multiplayer first-person and Q3 is ....well.....WAY BETTER
    Q3 for me
    [crappy pun taken out]

-=20-40=-

[This message has been edited by 2040 (edited 05-12-1999).]

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

At the moment its UT all the way fro me. Q3a is just too slow and with all the Mutators in UT (Fatboy, Sniper Arena, Instagib) I feel the game has more to offer. I played the Q3a demo in Nethouse the other night and I wasn't impressed at all, it just didn't feel right.

Anyway none of these games are a patch on Quakeworld anyway tongue.gif

Gandalf.

www.gibworld.com/gandalf gandalf@gibworld.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

UT is the choice of a new generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Jak

I'll wait till i play the full Q3A before i judge this one. But i must say UT definitley has the edge for variety of play at the moment ... even if the bots seem a bit challenged.

Personally i reckon the first one to come up with a decent CA option of play with RJ's instead of those fkin Jpads ... wins.

J.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭SHADOW

IT's gota be Q3 for me.....
    Fair enough UT has more game options
    But Q3 has a better feel about it...that's if u can get past the fu<king footsteps
    smile.gif

Neil

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

UT is certainly my addiction of the moment.

but if somthing else comes along (not into this whole game-loyalty crap) smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Spoonman

Why cant ppl just play both, one for fun and one for um... fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

Games have long since stopped being fun..........pfffff.....
    just ask those serious heads over at EM.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

hey were we ever serious about anything? smile.gif

we just like to win (a lot).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

both, and q2, and a bit of qw everynow and then, and some TFC on the side smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭DeV

Um the bots are a bit "special" in UT.
    Hurt them enough and they turn around and run for health.... easy money.

Physics feel weird but I like the sniper rifle...

Like gand I say none of them have a patch on QW.

Having played and finished Deathnatch on UT in 3.5 hours on "experienced" (there are higer settings) I think the level design blows. Very pretty but bugger all thought for internet team/ffa play (quads and armour and health and strong weapons all in close proximity...). I like the ship though...

The redeemer is the BFG, thats all there is to it, and its not hard to get. Thankfully its on few levels.

Its a good game alright, I like it and its fun but there is something weird about it.
    It feels like Halflife a bit (any of those other q2-or-later games...)

Frames suffer but feel better at high res then q3. That "min frames" is a load of toss. It barely works as far as I can see.

DeV.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Well I'm with the "why can't we play both" fraternity but at the moment UT is consuming my life. Check the time I'm posting ffs. An allnighter. Long time since I did that. UT has so much variety and more can (and will) be added by fans. As to the level design. I really find it hard to say so early on. I'm surprised you can make a pronouncement on that Dev without playing a lot more on the net against human players - good and bad.
    Finally for someone with my interests I am glad to have the editor included. It's been confirmed that Q3A will NOT include the editor so that'll be another download at some stage.
    At the end of the day I'll be buying Q3A too. And I expect to enjoy it but at the same time I've harped on about it's closeness to Q2 as opposed to QW and that's always going to be a problem for me. I'll still be playing CA of course but I'll probably always yearn for UT to add that little but more spice.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

UT, very impressed. BTW it does have a CA, although only pickup not the 1v1 type.

Select last man standing and one of the mutators.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

UT has some good points like Instagib but q3a seems more fun when played.

I'm with Q3.

• Advertisement

Gawd, why don't ID just re-release QW then to keep the q1eers happy!?!?? Seems like nothing else will fu<king satisfy yis.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

god,
    why dont you just play the game you like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

Because *****ing is more fun.

El

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Misc comments:

hmmm UTs bots seem to have more cop. In that they pick the right weapon for the location (eg Flak cannon for corridors)

Q3's graphics engine is better, no question of it. It looks better, is more curvy and the lightings better.

Ut's netcode seems better but it's always a hard one to judge.

And I'll of course be playing both to death.

[Insert cool quote here]
    Play GLminesweeper!
    http://www.iol.ie/~adamj/dl/mineswp.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Dev, how can you slag the UT bots when you have them 4 settings from the top or something.

Put them on godlike and learning and tell me there 'easy money' then smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Vorosha

I've played the UT demo some and the Q3 demo lots. I found UT to be sorta uncomfortable, mainly because I wasn't used to it. I'm going to play whichever one is most popular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Spaceman

Ya'd wanna have a lot of time on yer hands to be good at both. I hope one of them will die so we can ALL PLAY TOGETHER!! biggrin.gif

p.s. Hard to beat brand Loyality

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Lemmy

I dont think ut or q3 match quake1.Sure....the graphics are better but thats about it.So much more skill invoved in q1.I dont know ....maybe i just fear change.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

thats deadly,
    another post telling us that someone still preferes quake to every other game in the universe.

WE DONT CARE.

thats great. you still love the game. brilliant. why dont you go and play it then.
    no-one cares who plays quake or quake 2 or doom or anything else.
    play what you like.
    im sick of hearing who hates this game or that game coz its not like quiakeworld, or it doesnt have this weapon or whatever.

tis all getting very boring really.
    i mean very boring.

• Advertisement

Well said Eamo, someone always has to weigh in with a 'oohhh but QW is the best game ever, no-one can ever beat QW, no sir there can never be a better game than QW' post. Who gives a flying fu<k at a rolling donut??

If you think QW is still the best online game going then go and fu<king play it.

Advertisement