Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

o2 X1

Options
  • 02-12-2003 9:50pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Im on the verge of buying this phone, but i want to get some things cleared up first:
    is it available on upgrade? and how much? (carphone warehouses mag has it on upgrade at €199, but instore they say its not available yet)
    how good is it? (i know what i can and cant do, what i want to know is how reliable is it? whats the battery life like, will it die on my or break easily etc)
    how easy is it to text on?

Id appreciate any help here, as it is €200 im spending and dont want a phone that will go to pot in afew weeks, as i said, i know what it can do and thats grand by me, but theres a difference to how its meant to work and how it works

Flogen

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Just to let ya know, the Ngage is launching on RTG for 300 soon and the T610 is gonna be 239.. The T610 is a little beauty as you have no doubt noticed everyone say.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

the ngage doesnt really excite me, but the t610 looks pretty impressive, and yes, i have noticed ALOT of praise for it.

will it just be RTG or will it be on Speakeasy too?
    Im not a big fan of vodafone, for what i mainly use my phone for i think they are the worst of the 3 networks, their bill prices are probably the best but i dont think their pay as you go prices are as competitive as o2 or ever meteor

/edit just thinking there, have ericsson improved much since they became sony ericsson? im sure by the good reports the t610 is getting they have, but i remember i had a t10(or something like that) and it was a woeful and unreliable phone. easily the worst piece of junk ever seen imo, id prefer one of the old motorola bricks to it.... so horrible!
    Flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭chopster

I myself was looking at these two phones myself firstly the x1 then the t610 , both have had so so reviews after further trawling thru google saying x1 hasn't great reception , sticky keys , blah blah blah .

A review of the t610 can be found here http://www.mobileburn.com/review.jsp?Id=391

So i'm back to square one . I'm leaning towards the sharp GX20 where all reviews seem to be favourable especially the camera side of things , plus the ability to record up to 20 secs of video ......must see that in action myself actually .

even if the t610 had really great reviews, its still quite dear at the moment, unless you go bill, which i wouldnt.
    problem with the sharp is the same as before, its vodafone only....

anyone heard much about the motorola v300??? i cant even get a price for it anywhere.

Flogen

Ive just spent alot of today ringing around places looking for this phone, but no-where seems to have it, does anyone know where i can buy it (within Dublin)?

o2 stores are saying theyl get it in soon, but carphone warehouse claim there has been a manufacturing problem and they wont get it til January... one guy even went so far to say he doesnt think itl ever come back in (but he was a gobsh*te)

so what should i believe, and where should i go?

Flogen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

he doesnt think itl ever come back in (but he was a gobsh*te)

Given the reviews, I don't think it would be missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

Originally posted by chopster
    A review of the t610 can be found here http://www.mobileburn.com/review.jsp?Id=391

i wasn't impressed with that particular review of the handset - especially the 'first version' which initially slated the phone - but after 3 revisions it's crept back on several fronts - you have to take into acount this is a US based review of the handset with no firmware revision details given

the reception of the handset isn't bad - he's reviewing it in the US where their GSM/GPRS infratructure isn't a good as ours - and when travelling there with it my signal would drop from time to time - here (in Dublin) don't have any problem

the display readability in bright direct sun light - hmm if only we had that problem in Ireland eh! ;) - to be honest it hasn't been an issue for me here since I got it a few months ago - even in the middle of the Nevada desert i just oriented until i could see it - the other handset I had with me had a transflective display and it even had difficulty in that kind of intense sun light so needed to me orientate it for ease of reading

if the display is critical - then why not wait for the Z600? - it's got a differnet display to the T610 and would be a much more feature rich handset than the Sharp

BrianG

Originally posted by flogen

anyone heard much about the motorola v300??? i cant even get a price for it anywhere.

Flogen

The V300 was launched last week on Vodafone as the V525. The only difference is that this model is quad band.. Very limited supply.

Originally posted by DubWireless

if the display is critical - then why not wait for the Z600? - it's got a differnet display to the T610 and would be a much more feature rich handset than the Sharp

This handset should be launching next week I think.... ;);)

Ye might be in for a surprise very soon in the new year too ;);)

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    This handset should be launching next week I think.... ;);)

good news - although not being a big flip phone (clam shell) fan myself it doesn't perk my interest as much - but it has a lot of fans :)

Ye might be in for a surprise very soon in the new year too ;);)

a new sharp release? - they can make great handsets - it's the operator spec constraints that mess them up :(

• Advertisement

anyone with the x1 phone, can you help me with this q:

if you have a number saved in your phonebook on the x1 and you get a call from that number does the screen show you the name from the phonebook or the number of the caller?
    so lets say you have 1234 in your phone as Frank
    when you get a call from 1234, does 'Frank' come up, or just '1234'?

Flogen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭steviem

It will initially come up with the number and then change to the name of the caller.

thats great, thanks very much for that!

Flogen

thanks to everyone for their help, got my x1 yesterday and it works a treat, no problems what-so-ever (touch wood).

and the handiest thing of all is that i could put my old simcard in (which i didnt think i could have done) so now i dont have to change my number!

Flogen

Originally posted by DubWireless
    a new sharp release? - they can make great handsets - it's the operator spec constraints that mess them up :(

nope, cant say but you will be delighted :) i think anyway

nope, cant say but you will be delighted :) i think anyway

great :) always partial to delightful surprises :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

"thanks to everyone for their help, got my x1 yesterday and it works a treat, no problems what-so-ever (touch wood)"

Good stuff! I'm getting one for the Fianceé for XMAS.
    I assume your paying €200 because of the Camera? Is it a colour screen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭ethanf

is the camera quality any good??

i think its a slick phone in general, and the camera did sway me to pay the extra few euro. (besides, ive heard bad things about the lower-end siemens, which was the next lowest choice). the sound is great (my old phone had really low ringtones, you could hardly hear them), the minigolf game is kinda addictive, but not very, and yes it is a colour screen, and it has a led one for when you close it too, handy for checking the time!

the quality is excellent for the price of it, the zoom is really good and it doesnt get very pixelated even on the highest zoom. theres even a decent motion thingey too.

Ive heard about people having alot of problems with the phones, but mine is grand. i think i got a second batch of it anyway(as everywhere sold out of the first) so theres a better chance of it being ok then as the first batches of everything tend to be amazingly bugged.
    for the price of it id certainly reccomend it, nice looking, works well and a good price!!

Flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Where did you get it Flogen? I've been trying to get one for weeks. I have my name down in the Bray O2 shop and they reckon they'll have them 'some time this week' which is funny cause thats what they said last week and the week before! :rolleyes:

Yer man O'Conner in the Log on section in the Herald reccomended the GX20 over it. Yeah way ta go fella, compare it with a phone that costs 80 quid more and is only available on billpay! He didn't do his research either (what a surprise) cause he reckoned it was a rebadged Samsung! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

i got it from www.o2.ie, it was €10 cheaper (wowzer) and i got it three days after i ordered it, so it was very handy (no need to have to ring a shop every day to see if they had it and then sprint in to get it in time)

i recommend the site, very very handy

Flogen

I've tried for weeks and the few times I've actually gotten the shop page to load, there was no X1 but most of the time I got an Error page, "sorry for inconvenience blah blah blah....." I've just tried now and the O2 website wont even load never mind the shop page :rolleyes:

And I called in to O2 Bray again today and was talking to a different guy and he says they wont have any more in till January or February!! :rolleyes:

i had a load problem once or twice too, but the x1 should be there (unless the site is now out and they took it off)

carphone warehouse always told me jan, but the o2 shops said theyd have them before christmas, i assumed (and still do) that o2 shops are bound to get the stock before anywhere else as it is an o2 phone, and theyre not going to give any away if they dont have many (they seemed to be giving non-o2 phone retailers such as Carphone or DID or Power City a story that the manufactorer had underestimated the demand, while o2 shops said they were expecting more in soon)

Flogen

Actually got into the online shop tonight..............and no X1 :rolleyes:

A trio of nokias, an n-gage, a panny gx50 and a seimens mx60 :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 X1Girl

Hiya...

I've got an O2 X1 - upgraded to it for free on an 02 Online contract in November but had to wait til yesterday for it to actually arrive.

I'm pretty happy with it. The camera isn't up to much, but I wont use it much anyway. I'm having a few teething troubles as it has an OK button AND a green button and there seems to be no consistent way of deciding which one to press. The flashing pink lights are very funky when it rings, and the tones are great and loud, if a little odd (farmyard noises anyone?!).

I can't work out how to group my contacts into the caller groups and I can't connect to wap yet. Also, haven't found anyone else on O2 whose phone can accept my MMS and there are no templates like there were on the sony ericcsson I had before.

It hasn't gone wrong yet so I think I must have one from the updated batch!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

Anyone have any experience with both the O2 X1 and Nokia 3200. Is the latter worth €70 more?

yeah, the ok and green button are abit confusing, but you start to figure it out after abit (not that you should have to!)

by caller groups do you mean friends/family etc? if so then go into your phonebook and edit on the name, scroll down and youll see (under 'work') an icon that you select and hit left or right to pick...hope that helps!
    also i sent a mms to a sharp gx10(not sure if it was the newer one) and it sent grand.....

Flogen

Thanks Flogen - I can't get SMS messages with photos attached to send, let alone anyone to receive them! I think it's that O2 haven't sent my settings through yet, despite me asking for them days ago!

Caller groups - yes, I mean to assign someone as a Friend or Business, so that they can have a different ringtone. I can't do it as you describe though -

I go to the list of people in the phone book, and pick, e.g Amy
    I click the green button on Amy and get the list of options, from which I select Edit with the OK button...
    Then I just get Amy's name and number to edit and not any of the group options.

I get all the options when I add a new contact however - is it a bug or am I being thick?

Thanks!

:confused:

ok, so when your in that part, the 'edit' section, are you presented with something like this:
    First Name <or else the name you have entered....eg Amy>
    Last Name <or same as above>
    Home No <has picture of a house>
    Mob No. <has picture of something that looks like a slanted washing machine>
    Work No. <building pics>
    Contacts <has an object with three smaller objects underneath it... like a 'network' picture>
    the last is the one your looking..... just go to it and press ok then hit left or right to pick the one..... private, family, friends etc.

Flogen

• Advertisement

I've solved it... had to copy everything from SIM to phone and then I could edit in the way you described...

I just now have 2 copies of every number!

Advertisement