Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simple networking problem on Windows 98

Options
  • 02-12-2003 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭

This has been doing my head in all day, and any advice would be much appreciated.

The scenario is: I bought an E-tech broadband modem/router and 2 network cards today to run my 2 PCs, one XP, the other 98. Got the XP machine up and running first without a hitch, straight onto the net first attempt. But then I came to my old faithful Windows 98 machine.....

Firstly, I'm not sure that the network card is installed properly. Initially it was detected by Plug and Play, and after 98 asked me for the driver on the floppy, it then asked me to select the model from a list, which was empty. The only options were 'Have disk' and 'Cancel'. So I hit 'have disk', point windows to the file and same again! Asks me to select the model from an empty list.

Eventually I had to select one of the system drivers, in this case a Realtek 8129 Fast Ethernet Adaptor. (I realise this could be my first mistake, but can't see a way around it). The network card then showed up in the hardware profile as working correctly.

Next, I go into Network settings to make sure the TCP/IP is binded with the Realtek adapter. However, when I close the network settings window, 98 asks me for the Windows CD ROM (which I have long since lost, but I usually get the drivers I want from a reliable source on the net on the XP machine and slap em onto a floppy). It does this every time I exit the network settings window. Something not right there.

The long and short of it is that I know the network card is physically working, cos the light is on at the router and at the network card itself. But Windows just wont talk to it no matter what I do, and no matter what internet guides I follow!!

Can anyone help? Or am I a hopeless case? Or both?

Many Thanks,

Rob

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Lukin Black

I'm not a networking head, but whenever I have tcp problems, I always install netbeui/netbios and it works fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭kmb

Hi,i also had problems with a straight connection with xp and win98se.Can you see your network card under system in control panel?Is there a exclamation mark next to it or is it saying working ok?Did you use xp network setup using a floppy to transfer networking files to win98?My mistake was i had left pc cillian firewall on and they couldnt work together,could this be your problem?
    Also usually the network card has named chips on them like realtek where u can go to their site and download drivers.regds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

A pretty good indicator is to have the workstation ping itself (127.0.0.1)
    If you can't ping yourself - see if you can nab some more recent drivers from the manufacturers website (google long enough and you'll find it).

Also at the point where you have to select a driver from the empty box... there should be a radio button that switches between "Show compatible drivers" and "Show all drivers" (or something to that effect)... it's pretty simple but not to be overlooked :p

You could always put XP on the 98 machine if the worst comes to the worst (specs permitting).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

Thanks for the replies guys.

I don't have netbeui/netbios installed on 98, some tutorial somehwhere told me to take them out for this scenario cos we are only using TCP/IP.

Some good points kmb. Initially I could see the card under system in control panel. However since then I've been messing about with drivers and reinstalling etc and it has gone. I've been keeping an eye out but no joy. Even after a plug and play install. Also i tried your suggestion of using the XP network install floppy, but that didn't work - after the system rebooted, it just said a dll file was missing or corrupted. After I reinstalled the dodgy dll, the network disk still complained about it.

Made sure the firewall was off, in fact it has not been booting up properly since all this started today, lol. Finally got the correct network card drivers and amazingly enough, still not working. The drivers seem to have no effect. I can't determine where they are being installed.

Basically I think at this stage that things have got too messed up to salvage. When I tried to ping the workstation (good idea!) ping.exe had gone missing! So had tracert, net.exe etc. I might just have to go down the XP road after all. The PC is specced ok for it. What a pain in the arse!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I am having pretty much the same problem. I have Win98 and Win2k Pro on one Box and XP Pro on the other. XP and Win2k can connect together ok, no problems at all. Just when i start that box in 98 nothing happens. XP cant even see it even though 98 says its got a workign network :rolleyes:

98 is the poo of the pants. Ill try again later. Havent touched it in months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

Originally posted by robbie1876
    Basically I think at this stage that things have got too messed up to salvage. When I tried to ping the workstation (good idea!) ping.exe had gone missing! So had tracert, net.exe etc. I might just have to go down the XP road after all. The PC is specced ok for it. What a pain in the arse!

Try and remove and re-install "Communications" from your 98 install.

Add/Remove Programs - Windows Setup - untick Communications - click ok. Say no to rebooting. Open Networks, remove any protocols that are there, leave your network card. Click ok. Say no to rebooting. Add/Remove Programs - Windows Setup - Communications. Tick DUN and any other items you might need (you don't need vpn etc). Click OK, Click OK again. Say no to rebooting. Check networks to make sure all the protocols are installed. When you're happy it's ok reboot the machine.

If that doesn't work it's a regfix.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

Well, upgraded this morning to XP pro without a problem. Detected the network card 1st time. Online within about 3 mins of setup completing. Yippeee!!

Took the 'if you have a problem, ignore it' approach and it worked out for me.

Thanks for all the good advice though guys, much appreciated.
    98 is the poo of the pants.

Agreed.

Advertisement