Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transport and Traffic SPC

Options
  • 02-12-2003 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭

As I have mentioned before, I am a member of the Dublin City Council Transport and Traffic Strategic Planning Committee. There is a meeting on Thursday to discuss (a) HGV management post-Dublin Port Tunnel (b) review of congestion charging in London (c) road (not parking) enforcement.

Any thing anyone wants to raise (yes, I will raise Pearse Street Garda Station)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Dangerous traffic lights on the N3 roundabouts, the smaller (castleknock and blanchardstown) roundabouts cause traffic buildup on the blind side of the roundabout. Any traffic travelling inbound towards the city centre has to avoid stationary traffic waiting at a red light to turn right.

A better (and significantly safer sequence) would be a green light straight on and turning right to avoid ANY build up on the blind side of the roundabout.

Also we need ALL intersections to the roundabout to have lights, it is absurd to have 4 out 5 junctions with lights. This just encourages those on the uncontrolled junction to block traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

They are outside the city council area (not sure about the Ashtown one though).

outside the city council area

Doh!

Ok, widening (removing/replacing the railing portion) Phoenix Park gates at all points to allow for an exit and an entrance gate.

Very cheap solution to trafffic build-up at enterance/exits to the park. Would take ten minutes off most people's commute through the park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Andrew Duffy

Phoenix Park - no way. The gates are protected, and you shouldn't commute through a public park anyway (I did for a while, admittedly). If everybody obeyed the rules of the road and gave way to traffic entering the park it would be fair - you'd get in quickly and queue to get out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭an_taoiseach

Victor,

Thanks for asking

Not sure if the following is what you mean but.........

(1)

Traffic lights at Nassau St / Kildare St are positioned so that if there are coaches parked on the left ( normal set down for TCD tour ) and double decker buses on right ( en route to Kildare St ) then it is not possible to see the traffic light that controls straight ahead. While regulars know to look out for this, tourists ( up from the country ;) ) sail through not even knowing that there are a set of lights. Suggest either enforce no parking on TCD side for a long distance before the lights or install an overhead light in the centre of the road

(2)

I believe that there is a real problem with a the visibility of a lot of the white lining around town when its is wet and dark. I believe that this problem is due to low spec white line and / or poor application of same. Once again this creates a safety issue for tourist type drivers

An T

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Victor I find it amazing that the port tunnel is not high enough. Can you tell us about that and why?? :confused::confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

Why does Dublin City Council ignore statutory specifications when designing, constructing and maintaining cycle lanes and cycle tracks?

Has disciplinary or breach of contract action been taken against anyone responsible for the above?

It's all very well enforcing road traffic regulations against road-users, but local authorities should obey the law too.

Originally posted by greenman
    Victor I find it amazing that the port tunnel is not high enough. Can you tell us about that and why??
    It is perfectly high enough for all vehicles, except about 2% of trucks, accommodating those trucks was not foreseen (they didn't exist then AFAIK). Hence the discussion on tomorrow about HGV management.

Regarding the Phoenix Park it is owned by the OPW, not the city council. There is an issue with the wild deer that sometimes wander across the road, so some traffic control is necessary. What would be much better would be if express busses from Blanchardstown / Castleknock could use it.

Will look at Nassau Street and mention it.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Cameraman

OK - how two of my own personal bugbears (not sure if these are what you have in mind, but) :

(1) Enforcement of Traffic Stop Lights - Red usually seems to mean - "Only 3 more cars. Bicycles, please ignore"

(2) Limit cycling on footpaths, and the wrong way on roads to the hours between 3 and 4am. :D Enforce the law the rest of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Hi Victor,
    I appreciate your answer but why could they not accommodate all the trucks?? [
    accommodating those trucks was not foreseen (they didn't exist then AFAIK)
    those trailers have been around for years mainly in the UK!!! They seem to be making the same mistake in Limerick!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Advertisement

I appreciate your answer but why could they not accommodate all the trucks??
    No problem. Because it would cost more money.... and how about accommodating 6m trucks ...... I'm not saying it was ideal to pick 4.65m as a limit, but that is waht was picked.
    those trailers have been around for years mainly in the UK!!!
    Apparently only the UK and Spain allow them, everyone else wants them smaller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭an_taoiseach

"Apparently only the UK and Spain allow them, everyone else wants them smaller."

Yup,

IIRC Geoconsult had a very large finger in the original design pie

They are based in Austria

So that all fits in

Anyway Dublin needs to be lowered a peg or three

There is no reason why the whole country should revolve around it

there are other ports around the country

The big trucks can go there

'shure isnt Charlie McC leading on this

Settling the country ( even beyond the pale )

It will be like Cromwell all over again

Carlow give to Enterprise & Employment

WestMeath given to Education

etc.

And Dublin Bypassed ;)

It'll be Great:D

An T

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

As cameraman said, red light enforcement and bus lane/bus only road enforcement. How about fixed cameras instead of occasional Guards for both of these, they are common in lots of other countries. Great source of revenue, should make Charlie McGreedy happy.

The gates are protected
    I only want them to open, not bulldozed.
    deer wander across the road, so some traffic control is necessary

Cattle grids shouldn't be too 'deer'....:eek:
    you shouldn't commute through a public park anyway

Where is that written?? It actually demonstrates how great the traffic would be if we could get all the commercial traffic off the road during peak hours
    it is owned by the OPW, not the city council

Thereby underlining the basic problem with Dublin, too many damn cooks. So the city council coundn't even make a proposal to the OPW? The Mayor? The Pope?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭vinnyfitz

Victor
    Firstly I think its great you are on the committee and asking for our views here.

My suggestion is that we could be more useful to you if the papers being discussed at the committee could be published by the Council on line in advance. Then maybe you could point us to them and we could help by giving you feedback based on specific experience.
    Also, after the meetings the minutes should be published on-line by the Council so that you could just stick a link to them and we could read if interested.

On issues - congestion charging is intimately linked to the availability of park and ride in the other Dublin authorities. There was a budget incentive for this announced yesterday but the City Council needs to research now whether this will be enough to incentivise facility developers and ultimately car users? For example I think here are only 1200 P&R places planned or existing in Dublin South for example - not nearly enough.

Sorry what is "road enforcement"? I might have comments on this also if I understood it better?

Originally posted by vinnyfitz
    My suggestion is that we could be more useful to you if the papers being discussed at the committee could be published by the Council on line in advance. Then maybe you could point us to them and we could help by giving you feedback based on specific experience. Also, after the meetings the minutes should be published on-line by the Council so that you could just stick a link to them and we could read if interested.
    Blood - stone - public servants. :) My contact was astounded that I dare ask for them to be published.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

Hi Victor
    I know this is after the fact, but perhaps some items for the next meeting.

The countdown at some pedestrian lights are good; when can we expect more? I know budgets will dictate this. Also why do they only count down from 30 seconds? People think they're broken if they're not counting down.

Dawson Street / Nassau Street junction. Why is this still a 2 stage pedestrian crossing? It's only 2 lanes of traffic and there's usually a delay here. Couldn't the traffic lights be moved 2-3 metres up Dawson St. and allow a wider pedestrian crossing.

One pet hate of mine; College Green. I'm a quick walker but trying to get across from one side of the street to another is next to impossible without a run. The sequencing of lights is @r$e. Couldn't the triangle from TCD main entrance to cigar shop on Grafton St to BOI be one big pedestrian crossing. This would allow people to cross from Trinity to northside of Dame St in one go. Or Grafton St to continue to Westmoreland St. So what if a car is kept back an extra 20 or 30 feet. Big delay? I think not.

Does the Corpo _ever_ revise light sequencing???

Oh, Oh, another one!!!! Liffey St / Abbey street junction. There is a stupidly narrow 5 foot temporary pedestrian bridge that is offset to the way people want to go. Typical route Ha'penny Bridge to Henry Street. Forcing all pedestrian traffic on this yoke is fcuking daft. Anyone every looked at fluid dynamics? A thing like this slows traffic down and when you get 2 people travelling in opposite directions. What a mess!! Makes me want to avoid town like the plague. Getting around city centre on foot is becoming a pain in the @r$e now.

Meeting is at 3:30pm.
    Sorry what is "road enforcement"?
    Traffic enforcement as opposed to parking enforcement.
    Originally posted by a_ominous
    Does the Corpo _ever_ revise light sequencing???
    Yes, e.g. Dame Street / South Great Georges Street now has a single longer pedestrian rotation which is working out better.
    Originally posted by MadsL
    Cattle grids shouldn't be too 'deer'....:eek:
    15km or road - mostly both sides - should cost a bit

Can the DTO use digital cameras to spot e.g. illegal right turns.

I am constantly amazed by the number of cars that (for example) still turn right at the bottom of George's St into Dame st and left at the bottom of Dawson St into Nassau st (both these are bus lanes only.) Another e.g. is the illegal right hand turn at the bottom of Lennox St onto Richmond Hill.

Why can't Keegan mount cameras and signage and warn people they will be photographed and fined if they break this sort of law?
    The cops can't spend their lives hanging around these junctions. Is legislation required or could it be done with by-laws?

So I went along today, sod all done.

The HGV traffic management will go to public consultation later in the month for return in January.

Congestion charging is still a long way away – at least the far side of the local elections ; )

I wasn’t able to raise safety and enforcement as it had been left out of the agenda (despite it being in the minutes).
    Can the DTO use digital cameras to spot e.g. illegal right turns.
    The Dublin Transport Organsisation (strategy, theory, funding) is separate to the City Council's Office of the Director of Traffic (implementation and monitoring).
    I am constantly amazed by the number of cars that (for example) still turn right at the bottom of George's St into Dame st and left at the bottom of Dawson St into Nassau st (both these are bus lanes only.) Another e.g. is the illegal right hand turn at the bottom of Lennox St onto Richmond Hill.
    To a degree this is begrudgery on all our behalf's, yes those turns are illegal, but the purpose is to reduce the amount of traffic, not safety. It's not like driving the wrong way down a one way street or on the wrong carriageway of a dual carriageway. However, I do accept, it does have a marginal safety impact insofar as people don’t expect vehicle to make those turns.
    Why can't Keegan mount cameras and signage and warn people they will be photographed and fined if they break this sort of law? The cops can't spend their lives hanging around these junctions. Is legislation required or could it be done with by-laws?
    Well Keegan is in hospital, but I imagine it would be possible - however like the speeding cameras, I suspect they would need a change in the law.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Victor
    Congestion charging is still a long way away – at least the far side of the local elections ; )

http://www.thepost.ie/web/DocumentView/did-580188715-pageUrl--2FThe-Newspaper-2FSundays-Paper-2FNews.asp
    PDs: no congestion charges for Dublin
    23/11/03 00:00

By Niamh Connolly
    The Progressive Democrats have ruled out congestion charges for Dublin following a visit by members of the Oireachtas Transport Committee to examine bus privatisation and congestion charges in London.

The party's transport spokesman, SenatorTom Morrissey, said this weekend that "any talk of congestion charges should be forgotten".

"It is important that the Oireachtas Transport Committee relays a clear message to all of the agencies in Dublin - the Director of Traffic, the DTO and the Department of Transport - that the London experience can never be repeated here," said Morrissey.

"The city does not have the critical mass. For it to work, the charges would have to start as far out as the M50. Only 1 per cent of London is actually covered by the congestion charge, but London has a much higher density of population than Dublin. Traffic solutions are essentially about density, and we do not have the density."

The cost of implementing congestion charges in Dublin would be prohibitively expensive compared to the revenue yielded. Priority should be given to improving public transport provision and QBCs as an alter native to congestion charges, Morrissey said.

"The congestion charge system, with the number of cameras needed to be effective, is very expensive to get up and running and to maintain. In London, that cost will be recouped over time, but in Dublin, we simply do not have enough motorists within a concentrated zone. The cost would be crippling," he said.

Cattle grids shouldn't be too 'deer'....
    Victor - why would you need "15km or road - mostly both sides - should cost a bit"

I'm just talking about opening the gates to allow two way traffic in/out of the park...?? Rather than the stupid 'give way to incoming traffic' system.

I'm just talking about opening the gates to allow two way traffic in/out of the park...?? Rather than the stupid 'give way to incoming traffic' system.
    I thought you wanted cattle grids to keep the deer off the road. I see what you mean now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Andrew Duffy

In what way is traffic on a minor road giving way to traffic on a major road a stupid system? And how would you propose opening the gates without demolishing the gateposts? They are opened fully every morning at seven already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

I do not think the park should be used for commuting.

Another e.g. is the illegal right hand turn at the bottom of Lennox St onto Richmond Hill.
    I passed this today (it's actually South Richmond Street Richmind Hill is between Camden St. and Aungier St. and isn't in fact a hill). Two cops had stopped someone for whatever reason (I overhead "tax and insurance") and had the flashing blue lights on in the car, when some muppet in his flash metallic silver Merc comes around the corner from Lennox Street, blocks the inbound lane and gets pulled over..... :rolleyes: I suspect he won't be making that turn again for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Can anyone explain the rationale behind not allowing vehicles travelling along pearse st. to go straight ahead at the junction with Tara St.? How does this improve road use or improve congestion?

Antoin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Originally posted by antoinolachtnai
    Can anyone explain the rationale behind not allowing vehicles travelling along pearse st. to go straight ahead at the junction with Tara St.? How does this improve road use or improve congestion?

Antoin.

It helps stop northbound traffic congesting College Street while queuing to access Westmoreland St. Leaving College Street clearer for southbound traffic from O'Connell St / D'olier Street.

It is part of the innner orbital route, going onto College Street would be going insidee the orbital. It also encourages traffic to use Gardiner Street, not O'Connell Street and makes the whoke College Street / Green / Westmoreland Street area more pedestrian friendly.

Who genuinely needs to go from Pearse Street to College Street?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Victor
    Who genuinely needs to go from Pearse Street to College Street?

Well - those approaching the south city centre from the South East e.g. Dun Laoghaire.
    If you now want to approach any of the city centre car parks - Trinity St, Clarendon St, Temple Bar, - you have to engage in a congestion inducing loop down Tara back up D'Olier, Colege etc to do this.
    I understand the pedestrian issue but this road closure strikes me as the wrong solution...

Advertisement