Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

p800 ogg file problems

• 03-12-2003 12:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭

Im having a bit of an issue with my p800. Ive a 64mb duo memory stick to go with it and was thinking about using it to play some mp3's or ogg files.

Ok so far, copied one over onto the memory stick, no problems. I then found a free ogg music player that would be much better to use than the onboard audio player coupled with mp3's....but I cant for the life of me copy an .ogg file onto the memory stick.

Error message
    "Not allowed to copy '<filename>.ogg' to device 'My p800'".

Ive tried copying to both the memory stick and the phones memory but with the same result.

I assume there is some form of file extension check done by the device drivers which decides whether a file with a certain extension can be copied or not (as renaming the ogg file to a .mp3 allows it to be copied - but leaves me with no way to change the name of the file once its on there as you cannot change the file extension through windows explorer for files already on the device).

(It appears to be an 'allow extension' type list as several attempts to copy files with made up extensions fail.)

Ive also tried downloading p800 explorer but it will not let me rename any of the files on the device, so the ogg player will not pick up the files to play.

If anyone has any ideas Id appreciate it :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

Right well ive found a temporary work around to renaming files on the device.

http://se-p800-software.penreader.com/PC_File_Manager/articles/Download_area_for_PC_File_Manager.html

Theres got to be a free way to do this though, I dont mind paying for software that I find really usefull but just to rename a file on the device, mneh.

I think ill just get a sony memory stick reader for the pc and do it that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Sony OS' seem to have weird limitations like this...when I had my sony clie it wouldn't recognise mp3s which were encoded at better than 128k, they just wouldn't show when the memory stick was explored. Maybe they can limit file names so you can only play ATRAC and mp3 files?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

Well It looks like its just the driver software that mounts the phones file system (and controls copying to and from) that is only allowing files with certain file extensions to be copied over.

Its playing my ogg files perfectly well now ive renamed them using the above file manager software, purely because the new software displays (and lets me edit) the file extensions, unlike the windows explorer plugin software that comes with the phones drivers.

Weird and a bit annoying, but not a showstopper at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by Snaga

Weird and a bit annoying, but not a showstopper at least.

That's sony for ya. I bet you can't use your phone under l00nix or OS X either :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

try copying them to the documents folder instead - should work then

but do yourself a favour and get a USB Memory Stick capable reader / writer - the transfer speeds via the P800 mounted through Explorer isn't great - you'll transfer them to a card using a decent reader / writer in no time

BrianG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

Originally posted by eth0_
    I bet you can't use your phone under l00nix or OS X either :(

works pretty well under OS X now (after a few iSync/iCal and Bluetooth updates) - can install application (.sis) files over bluetooth and it integrates pretty well with iSync for use with iCal and Address book - use a USB MS Card reader/writer to do big file transferrs to the MS Duo

also got the Mac connecting over GPRS and HSCSD using the Bluetooth link so it works pretty well as a modem with the laptop

now to get it working with the Salling Clicker to control iTunes, Powerpoint/Keynote, iPhoto... like you can with the regular BT enabled Ericsson/Sony Ericsson handsets and BT enabled PalmOS handselds...

BrianG

Advertisement