Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Utilising RAM

Options
  • 03-12-2003 2:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

HI,
    I’ve got a gig of RAM on my machine but cant seem to get xp to Utilising it fully, I’ve only ever used 400 mb. IM using 3D Max so taking up a gig should be no problem; is their some setting I’m not aware of? Any advise/slagging much welcomed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Change the Swap partiotion size to 0Mb, right click on your Computer icon and go to Properties then go to the last tab(cant remember its name now, I'm in Linux); after that go to the Performance button (I think there are only 3, try the others), in there you should have an option for changing the size of swap. Put it to 0Mb, reboot, after rebooting make sure its still at 0Mb( windows sometimes changes it back ). See how much RAM is used now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 l337

it is advanced/performance options/virtual memory best if you set it to something small like 10mb... i remember trying 0mb in an older windows and having trouble... some of the windows os' cant address more than 512mb ram.. i know win 95, 98 and me cant.. so if you are using xp home you may have a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭lazygit

there is a registey fix for windows 2000/ XP to force it to use all available memory before using the Swap file...

cant remember what the fix is.. but you could use Tweak XP i think that comes with it!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

On the off chance - some servers have an OS Install mode where they only report 256MB to the OS so the setup don't crash mid way....

I'd say WinXP can handle more then 512Mb quiet easily, you cant compare XP to 98:rolleyes:.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

It is highly recommended NOT to set your pagefile to less than your amount of RAM +1 Mb

i.e. if I've got 256MB RAM, my pagefile should not be less than 256+1Mb = 257Mb.

A general rule for pagefile size is YourAmountOfPhysicalRam*2 (or 2.5)

=> on my 256 Mb RAM Machine, my pagefile would be in teh region of 512-640Mb.

just an FYI...

That's valid if you have a small amount of RAM but 1Gb is fine you may aswell use it fully, lets take your example you have 640Mb max swap on your 256Mb machine add that up 640+256=896Mb. In other words the dude with 1Gb of RAM has more memory then you even without Swap, when you have that amount of RAM you dont need Swap.

Advertisement