Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Operation Freeflow

• 03-12-2003 11:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what other people's impressions of this year's Operation Freeflow.
    I live out to the west of the city, and so far each day this week the traffic has been worse that ever :mad:
    The traffic is backed up on N4 from past Spa Hotel to M50, about 4 miles. Then again on the Chapelizod bypass for another 2-3 miles. Adding that fcuking bus lane (when was the last time I saw a bus on that road????) to narrow the road and no right turn near Heuston Station. Great timing lads.

My commute is taking longer, so what the feck are the cops up to? They do have radios, don't they? There

Looking forward to being in town this weekend. Not!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

yeah it took me longer to get to Terenure from the Templeogue road then ever before - 35 minutes.
    People driving down the buslane and then jamming themselves into the other lane.
    Taxi drivers (none of which had a fare-paying customer) doing the same.
    And the Gardai standing down at Terenure doing......NOTHING!
    They seem to think that traffic flows better due to their very presence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I find that people drive worse when the cops are about. They get all conscious of what they are doing, drive slower, accelerate slower and are way too careful around traffic lights...

I would hate to see what traffic would be like if the cops were not out however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The traffic is much heavier because people are idiots.

Operation freeflow at least seems to be keeping the heavier traffic moving, which is, eh, the point.

Traffic was super heavy today, but all queues seemed to be moving much better than normal.

Operation Freeflow isn't there to reduce the volume of traffic (nothing can do that), it's there to ease congestion (ie, idiots doing stupid things, and causing queues to stop or crawl), and as far as I can see, is doing a pretty good job of it.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Genghis

I have found that the trip down the North quays in the morning is considerably worse since Operation Freeflow came in to operation. I get a bus from Heuston to the city centre at about 0800/0805 and what would normally take 15 max has been 20 minutes plus all this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Genghis

I have found that the trip down the North quays in the morning is considerably worse since Operation Freeflow came in to operation. I get a bus from Heuston to the city centre at about 0800/0805 and what would normally take 15 max has been 20 minutes plus all this week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

Yesterday, when I cycled home,some idiot south-bound woman had stopped in the box junction at the customs house and caused a 3km tailback of north-bound drivers. Once I had squeezed past her and her absurdly gross car, the only traffic on the road from there to Fairview was bicycles. It was brilliant.

She should have been sent around the block so that 3km of traffic could go home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,511 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Odd the way people are judging it on day 3 of a 37 day project.

If you have a specific problem inside the Dublin City Council area phone Traffic Control on 1800 29 39 49 (put it in your mobile now). Outisde the Dublin City Council area phone AA Jambusters 1850 542 542

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

from Victor
    Odd the way people are judging it on day 3 of a 37 day project.

Were the gardai not aware that they were going to be on traffic duty this year?
    This is year 6 or 7 I think of Operation Freeflow. They've had plenty of practice, so it should be better.

Don't think I'll be able to make the phone call while stuck in traffic. Might get pulled in for <country gard voice>driving a veh-hickle without care and attention </country gard voice> ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

DAY 4 - have tried another route - same differance..

Advertisement