Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Se T610 Or Nokia 6610

Options
  • 03-12-2003 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭

Howeya

Just a poll to shut a mate up.

Would you pick a SE T610 or a Nokia 6610?

Thanks

SE T610 or Nokia 6610 5 votes

Nokia 6610
    0% 0 votes
    SE T610
    100% 5 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

id pick the 6610 every time.... made a mistake i think buying the T610... so shut up..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

definatley the T610 get's my vote - because it has features the 6610 can't offer me: bluetooth connectivity mainly, the fact it works with the Mac laptop really well, plus the built-in email client is handy

unless he is absolutely smitten with the Nokia brand/system - then it could be a problem to switch - people can get a bit freaked out with such a new interface compared to a Nokia - but given a bit of time it can work out fine (if not better in a few places!) - T9 can be the biggest pain to adjust for some...

BrianG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭Faltermyer

I have my T610 about a week&half now and im pretty happy with it overall.

Yes, there is some lag in writting an SMS, but that really depends on how fast you type.
    I had a Nokia 8210 for near 4years before this, so i was well used to the Nokia interface, but im pretty much used to the SE one already. I actually think that the SE T9 is better than the Nokia one in many ways.

Afaik, the newer firmware reduces the lag, as well as adding some other features to the phone. Im just waiting on a chance to get out to Sigma to get it done.

In general Value For Money terms, the T610 offers an awful lot more.

Im currently trying to buy a 6610 over Ebay for a friend of mine who is insisting on Nokia and its only working out about €30-40 cheaper for a brand new 6610 than I could get him a T610!

As for battery life - it is a full Multimedia phone with an awul lot of features, so theres only so much you can expect.

At the moment, though only on the 3rd or 4th charge Im getting about 2&1/2-3days out of it. Thats with a good bit of SMS, MMS, GPRS, reasonable amount of calls, use of calender reminders, and also using the camera a few times. So im pretty pleased with that. Though it seems to be lasting longer on each charge - first charge only lasted a day&1/2.

Originally posted by DubWireless
    plus the built-in email client is handy
    Im having a little trouble getting this to work.

Im trying to use it to access my o2.ie email a/c, which I can do fine via WAP over GPRS.

But It tells me it cant find the server?
    Im using O2's - smtp.o2.ie and pop3.o2.ie .

Do I need to be able to use the outgoing server of my network provider to do this possibly? I have to do that with my NTL Broadband so thought maybe it could be used for that?

If I do, im not sure that sort of access is supported by the Mail Server... will have to check that out.

Anything else you know of that could cause problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭-Wheeler-

I looked at the 6610 before I bought my T610. Not only was the 6610 a hell of a lot dearer (god knows why:rolleyes: ) but the T610 also greatly outweighs the 6610 in terms of features/specs. I agree that texting can be quite slow and laggy, but overall the T610 is a great little gadget :) .

For €129 or lower depending on tariff (vodafone), the T610 is a great bargain. I think Carphone Warehouse are doing a even better deal on the T610 at the moment.

I got mine about 10 days ago from Vodafone for €104 (upgrade).....and I'm a happy camper.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭v10

T610. No question.

The T610 has everything the 6610 has ...

plus :

Camera
    Email Client
    Higher quality Polyphonic
    Higher resolution screen
    Bluetooth

plus no need for additional software to upload/download your tones & images to a pc.

plus it's up to €100 cheaper ... now only €99 on vodafone on low tariff upgrade.

Don't give it another seconds thought .

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Third Echelon bought one during the week there and I think its a lovely wee phone. I really like the interface (although optimised like hell by vodafone) and to be honest, the lag in the sms editor is minimal.

He is pretty unhappy with it and wants to swap to a 6610. I personally think he is fecking mad. I have had the 7210 for ages now and it has the same features and OS as the 6610. I think its a piece of crap. Ah I think the day of nokia selling handsets at the premium is coming to an end soon :D

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I've owned both phones (I had a 6610 before my T610), and I'd pick the T610 every time. The only downside of the T610 is battery life, but who cares?

- Dave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Have to say I can't decide either. I don't like nokia in general but the battery life and fast sms is the saving grace of my 6310i. How do you sync the 610 to the PC. Is it bluetooth only synch?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Nope.. you can use IrDA or an SE cable (bought separately).....

- Dave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

If, like me you're a Mac user then it has to be the T610, the iSync program on Panther works like a dream. Bluetooth is my comms of choice, very simple to setup and quicker than infrared plus the mac supports it seamlessly without hassle !

Aside from the Mac issue it's a lovely phone to use, very neat. I dont like Vodafone Irelands customisation though, the icons are absolutely CRAP !!! It's a colour screen FFS.

I bought a vodafone UK one a couple of weeks ago on boards.ie and the colour icons were superb.

Anyone know how to change them ?????

Tinky

Just out of curiosity Did you ask Vodafone about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I think you'd have to find someone to flash it with the original SE firmware instead of the Voda firmware to get rid of all the vodafone customisations.

Two useful sites:

www.myt610.net
    www.esato.com

Lots of info reagards features, tips&tricks, problems, flashing, unlocking etc.
    First site also haslots of wallpapers, ringtones, themes, screensavers,all of which are free - you simply download them. Then right click the file and choose "Send Via IR". Simple!

As jesus has said i was a bit unhappy with it.. mainly because of the laggy texting.. i had the nokia 8310 before that which was super fast when it came to texting.. i just find it frustrating.. i think the interface is very good on the T610 and it has some nice features.. overall its a good phone but i think im just too used to nokia at this stage.. for my needs i find nokia perfect.. good texting and it makes calls... plus it looks nice as well (6610 that is).. still in 2 minds but only time will tell..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

T610 has to be my choice!

And lag in the menu/t9 isn't an issue anymore with the newest firmware. I've had trouble with my unit though, and its currently on holiday with Fonefix, who tell me they're probably gonna get Sony UK to replace it because the problem keeps coming back. But everyone else I know who has a T610 have had no problems with their unit. Just me :-(

Oh yeah and the new firmware takes better pictures, allows you to save more than double the amount of photos you could before, and plays more java games. Nice!

I'm using an old Nokia 6210 until I get back my t610, I hate the bloody thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

is it just me or does the T610 look rather **** tbh?

Originally posted by Kaimera
    is it just me or does the T610 look rather **** tbh?
    In pictures yes, but in reality, no, certainly not.

I was put off by some of the first pictures I saw of it, but I looked around some more and found better pictures. In the flesh its a pretty decent looking phone.

@Wheresmybeaver- how does the new firmware double the image capacity? Compression? Did they simple update the Firmware or did they flash it fully? Mine is Orange branded firmware, which though its nowhere near as invasive as Vodafone firmware, I would like rid of. Im assuming Sigma wont have a problem flashing it if its already unlocked?

Ive been meaning to get out to Sigma/Fonefix since getting mine, but havent had time, might try tomorrow morning before college.

Ive read that elsewhere too that the newest firmware gets rid of the lag, that should be good, because its about the only thing I can fault with the phone so far, that and pictures at night are not great, but then, pictures at night on most standalone digital cameras for sub €250 are not great anyway!

Im so happy with my T610 that Ive already gotten accessories - car charger and desktop charger/stand and the MP3 player for it is in the post at the moment!(see thread in this forum "T610 MP3 Player").

Im getting it insured this week too... just incase!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I wish I could find somewhere locally to flash my t610 with the latest firmware, I don't like the idea of sending it off in the post :/

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭DukeDredd

Anyone know if the T610 through vodafone in the carphone warehouse is vodafone branded and also customised by them? I heard that they buy their phones directly from the manufacturer so none of that sort of thing happens to their phones.

• Advertisement

as far as i know it is.. i doubt that you could get it unbranded there...

Update - Sigma/Fonefix updated my software this morning(took bloody 40minutes cos something went wrong the first time!).

It DOES NOT remove the Orange menu's. I did ask for a full flash, which is what I was told they did,... though I have read on Esato.com that all branded handsets are recognisable to the software that updates the Firmware and it will always replace same menu's...

On the other hand, I still have all my photos and phone numbers so im a little dubious as to whether a full flash was done..

Menu and texting are much less laggy now. Screen is clearer(even though it was great before).
    Also got my MP3 player for it this morning, which kicks ass for the money. Only fault i can find with it is that you cant use other features in the phone when its playing - i.e. texting or games. That and that the included 32mb card is a wee bit small. Have a 256mb card ordered though which should solve that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

To get rid of the orange/vodafone branding use this

http://www.gsm-software.com/unlocksonyericsson.html

You'll need a cable, but they sell that as well....

I did it, it worked (from home, work firewall prevented
    it from there). There are still some pre-defined images
    that I cannot delete, but overall its a huge improvement.
    I've also seen a workaround that deletes the predefined
    images by filling the phone, but it didnt work for me.
    Could be to do with the firmware version I suppose...

As for the poll, I cant say as I've never used a Nokia,
    but a person in my house has changed from a 7210
    to the T610 and reckons its much better.

Anyone know if the T610 through vodafone in the carphone warehouse is vodafone branded and also customised by them? I heard that they buy their phones directly from the manufacturer so none of that sort of thing happens to their phones.

Unfortunately it's heavily customised, even down to the bloody joystick up direction connecting to Vodafone live ! They've also replaced the gorgeous full colour icons with crap 3 colour indistinguishable rubbish ones.

Locking the keypad is made difficult because they have changed the function of the normal keypad lock key on the top right !

I've decided to order the cable and flash my one in the new year.

Tinky

Vodafone (IRL) seem to able to take anything and screw it up.

Very true !

Another thing comes to mind ! When using the camera function the Sony website says the stick can be used to brighten or darken the picture, this doesn't work on the Vodafone (IRL) models !!!

Tinky

Advertisement