Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Where do I stand?

Options
  • 03-12-2003 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭

I traded in my Golf last Febuary against a 00 Audi A4. I bought it from a Volkswagen dealer in the Galway area. In total she cost €23,500. When I was looking at the car I noticed there was no log book. I mentioned this to the dealer and he said that the car was bought from the Garage and that all the servicing was carried out at the garage. He said he would contact the previous owner and forward on the log book.

It's now December and no log book has been forwarded on. I rang this week to chase it up as the car is due a service and the local guy who is servicing her for me needs to know what was done last.

I spoke to a different dealer and he checked on the system and told me the car was bought from the garage but that no service had been carried out at their garage. He spoke to the dealer I bought it from and told me that they had recieved the log book from the past owner but that it had gone missing. They assured me it would be found and would be forwarded onto me (again).

As far as I'm concerned when I bought the car I was told it had a full service history with the garage (and my girlfriend heard it as well). If they cannot provide evidence the car has been fully serviced are they obliged to take the car back?

A car for that price without a service history is worth shít.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

At least they should sort you out with some refund. Ask them nicely and if this doesn't work bring them to Small Claims Court

i got one of these cars without the papers and will never do it again. we ended up in some mess as first owner was trying to claim rights to the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

Small Claims Court doesn't apply here: the claim has to be for goods/services under 1269 Euro.

I think this is a good example of "Caveat Emptor" let the buyer beware. The salesman doesn't have to fulfill the promise. He'd be unwise to welch on this, as it might affect future sales. Just tell him you're unhappy and you'll let all your friends know about his 'service'.

Can you find out who had the car before and contact them directly? I have details of previous owner of my car.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Originally posted by a_ominous
    I think this is a good example of "Caveat Emptor" let the buyer beware.

hit the nail right on the head there. it's sad, but true. people in the market for buying cars need to be aware of what they're buying and what they're getting themselves into...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Originally posted by project-mayhem
    hit the nail right on the head there. it's sad, but true. people in the market for buying cars need to be aware of what they're buying and what they're getting themselves into...

Not according to my solicitor who I spoke to yesterday. He says the car was sold to me and has not lived up to the quality implied by the seller. There is a good chance he will have to give me the difference the car is worth with & without a service history or give me my money back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭an_taoiseach

Daveg

Your solr is correct

C.E. would apply if it had been a private sale

But as this seems to have been a sale made by a motor trader there is a heap of consumer protection law to fall back on

An T

• Advertisement
Advertisement