Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MS Word Help - How to pin down graphics

Options
  • 03-12-2003 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭

Time to swear at Microsoft again.

This particular problem has bugged me for years but there has to be a better way.

I am writing a document in MS word with graphics interspaced in text. I am using picture format for the images because Word tells me that is the quickest and most space efficient format.

The problem is that it seems almost impossible to pin an image down on the page. Every time I add lines of text or delete lines of text the picture jumps around - in a very unpredictable way. This is hugely frustrating.

Does any one know how to overcome this frustration so that pictures appear where you want them to and do not jump around in the text?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Lukin Black

I've never bothered to find out if you can make this the default option, but what you're looking for is:

Right Click on Picture > Format Picture > Layout (Tab) > Advanced (Button) > Uncheck 'Move Object with Text'

Edit: This would have been so much easier if I'd done it ages ago :)

When you have the picture layout the way you want it, right-click the picture again and click "Set AutoShape Defaults". Yes, it does appear to be that simple!

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mad Mike

Thanks for the tip - I will try this out. This will save me a bunch of time if it works.

Just to clarify - You suggest inserting the picture, then unclicking "move object wit text" then moving the picture to where you want it and then finally clicking Set autoshape defaults - Have I got that right?

BTW what does Set Autoshape Defaults do?

That's it. And it sets the layout as the default for pictures in the future. Or at least it should in theory :)

Thanks again

Yippee another MS Office annoyance bites the dust. Sometimes you have to wonder if the guys at Microsoft ever actually use their own products. I guess they are all so used to them that the settings and adjustments are second nature and they forget about schmucks like me who can never remember how to turn off these unhelpful features.

Originally posted by Mad Mike
    Thanks again

Yippee another MS Office annoyance bites the dust. Sometimes you have to wonder if the guys at Microsoft ever actually use their own products. I guess they are all so used to them that the settings and adjustments are second nature and they forget about schmucks like me who can never remember how to turn off these unhelpful features.

Au contraire, I think they may get through the day wondering how many poor schmucks they've peeved off today!

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Lukin Black
    Au contraire, I think they may get through the day wondering how many poor schmucks they've peeved off today!

You cycnic.

I wonder if any microsoft people actually contribute to Boards. I'd love to hear an insiders opinion on all these attempts at user friendliness that backfire yet never seem to get designed out (the ridiculous paper clip, smart menus, autocomplete, wandering graphics, the lack of sticky drawing tools ... the list goes on)

For completeness I am including a link to the following very helpful page:

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/DrwGrphcs/DrawLayer.htm

By reading a few of the MVPS articles I have finally gotten a (limited) grasp of how graphics move about the page.

My quick fix answer which seems to work most of the time is always use in line graphics and never use floating graphics.

Advertisement