Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tech Book scam.

Options
  • 03-12-2003 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

Only noticed by accident.

Looking through Amazon for a book I came across one which was $100+ and a review of an annoyed person. Basically the book was 6 pages long and it appears he was the only one who bought it.

However for a laugh I did a search for the company "Faulkner Information Services" in Amazon. they have tons of these books on various subjects selling for $90+ a pop with an average of 7 pages and mostly full of crap you could pull from google.

Quite amazing they can get away with it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

I particulary like this one. The review is great and it's quite a big publication. Make sure your printer is not low on pages if you're going to print it! Cheap at double the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

Considering there are millions of books on Amazon, it's sales ranking of 12,941 is pretty damn amazing :eek:
    Those guys must be making a killing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Another amazingly bad one is Rdf Specifications by Dan Brickley, except that I know Dan and he didn't write that (or rather he wrote a spec for the W3C and these chancers published it in this book).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Almost the same as the infamous "Native Snakes of Hawaii" book for libraries. It was a very expensive illustrated book. A lot of libraries bought it but the pages were blank. Apparently there are no native snakes on Hawaii. The e-book business is filled with scams like this because of the low cost of entry. A traditional tech book would cost at least €25K to publish even for a limited run. For Amazon, all you have to do is bundle the PDF to Amazon's digital content aggregator [1].

Regards...jmcc
    [1] The process is really called content aggregation apparently.

Advertisement