Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Houllier's worst Signing?

• 03-12-2003 5:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Who has been Houllier's worst signing? 84 votes

Cheyrou
    0% 0 votes
    Diouf
    2% 2 votes
    Diao
    19% 16 votes
    Biscan
    8% 7 votes
    Baros
    8% 7 votes
    Heskey
    1% 1 vote
    Diomede
    22% 19 votes
    Barmby
    27% 23 votes
    Camara
    3% 3 votes
    Vignal
    7% 6 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Bruno Cheyrou I'd say...How can Baros be on that list???

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Haha this poll puts a few things into perspective..

I cant even remember watching half of them play, how well they played or even how much they cost...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

actually think its one not there - Ziege, followed closely by Barmby and Diomede

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Diomede by a mile.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

wheres the whole option for the whole team?:) only messing was babb signed by Houllier?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

I would imagine that the reason that Baros is on the list is that the list was made by somebody who has no idea about LFC or perhaps football in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

I voted for heskey. For what was expected he has not delivered!!!
    Granted he's got some great goals but I just don't think he can cut it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Originally posted by Thanx 4 The Fish
    I would imagine that the reason that Baros is on the list is that the list was made by somebody who has no idea about LFC or perhaps football in general.

I would normally say the same thing... But he has a bit of a point. There is some well dodgy buys in there... Baros and Heskey should not be there though. They have not been bad buys, the rest have though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

No matter what way you look at it almost all Houillier's signings have ranged from bad to average! He's the problem.

Liverpool had their best priemership run when Houllier had his heart trouble and Phil Thompson was in charge! When houllier came back in March/April Liverpool fell away!
    That was their best chance to win the league in recent years! Although I could never stand thompson i have to admit the players responded to him!

thats my 2 cents anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭James R

Another bad signing which I think Houllier made (probably with Roy Evans) was Sean Dundee!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Shaque attack

diomede by miles, none of the others compare... except maybe cheyrou.
    baros one of houlliers worst signings? wtf have you ever seen him play?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Jean Micheal Ferri. And Roy Evans signed Dundee, it had nothing to do with Ged.
    No matter what way you look at it almost all Houillier's signings have ranged from bad to average! He's the problem.

What a steaming pile of horse****. Sami Hyppia, Stephane Henchoz, Dietmar Hamann, Pongolle, Milan Baros, Gary McAllister, Steve Finnan and Harry Kewell (who was the best signing made by ANY Premiership club this year) are/were all class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Considering he's been playing in the reserves for the past 4 years and still getting something like 30k a week, it has to be Diomede.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

baros is going to be an absolute legend for pool in the coming years . he's only 23 and from what ive seen he does as much as owen and is easier to link up with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Delboy79

Anyone of the Above apart from Baros( will be a anfield legend) , Vignal (better at LB than Traore) and Diouf (maybe he will do something sometime apart from been a yellow card magnet).....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

Diomede or Camara for me. They were brought in as first team players and never shone. I don't agree with Cheryou been knocked so much. He's only played 31 games since he arrived. Thats not even a full season. Obviously he was dreadful last year but then again so was Smicer, Diouf and Diao. Yet these players took last year to settle into the team and now Smicer and Diuof are important players and Diao has shown how he has settled especially in the Merseyside derby where he had a brilliant game. Now Cheryou on the other hand didn't really get a chance last year due to injury and the same this year. He has only played one game this season AFAIK and he played badly but he showed what he can do in both pre season campaigns in last two season's so I'm gona give him another while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭stevemac

was he bought by houllier? thought he was there before

yeah, dundee was signed the day before houllier i think. There is aslo that dutch striker, erik meijer is it?. Ferri is a typical houllier signing. Average player Bought to replace a good player(ince) and then staying the reserves for his year or 2 there.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Interesting point about Smicer..

A few LFC players have been asked in interviews about who the 'best' player at LFC is, and they all say that Vladi Smicer is the most gifted controller and technical footballer at the club, from what they see of him in training!

Mad.. eh?

gifted but very soft

no good in england

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I think he is a great player, if you have ever seen him play an international match you agree, he often out proforms players like Nedved, Baros and Rosicky against top class teams (Holland match a few months ago for example).
    BUT, i don't think he fits into the liverpool set up amazingly well, I don't know why, but he desnt seem to have the same confidence about him, he doenst get on the ball and run at people as much either, it's like watching two differaint players, he is thier version of Gary Breen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Originally posted by smiaras
    Has Cheyrou even started this season?

ask Cudicini :D

he's brutal in the transfer market, brutal in the boardroom, brutal in the bootroom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

Originally posted by uberwolf
    ask Cudicini :D

he's brutal in the transfer market, brutal in the boardroom, brutal in the bootroom.

I read that last bit wrong at first, thought you said "brutal in the bedroom" ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

At £10m Diouf was very poor signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Based on purely the cost of the player and the return from him it has to be Diouf. But there have been others that are not on that list I would pencil in. Mind you, Evans made a few blunders himself. (Kvarme for one). In my opinion its not just the bad signings he's made but the people we could have had or did have and let them go. Litmanen, Anelka, Stephen Wright. Bring back King Kenny and the title.

do ye think that houllier isn't the best interacting with the players.
    he's had spats with fowler, ince, dudek, babbel and isn't getting great performance's from many of the players. He seems to ignore other players, partridge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

Diomede for defo... apart from the picture of him signing for Liverpool, I dont think I ever seen him wearing the Liverpool jersey...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

Originally posted by Lex Luthor
    Based on purely the cost of the player and the return from him it has to be Diouf. But there have been others that are not on that list I would pencil in. Mind you, Evans made a few blunders himself. (Kvarme for one). In my opinion its not just the bad signings he's made but the people we could have had or did have and let them go. Litmanen, Anelka, Stephen Wright. Bring back King Kenny and the title.

Not to mention fowler. He'd be three times the player he is now if was still with Liverpool. When he was at the top of his game he was far superior to Owen at the top of his game. Very crap decision to sell him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭JippoKelly

Originally posted by stevemac
    do ye think that houllier isn't the best interacting with the players.
    he's had spats with fowler, ince, dudek, babbel and isn't getting great performance's from many of the players. He seems to ignore other players, partridge.

He fell out with Litmanen and Hamann as well. He's pretty much fallen out with any player who might even so much as question any of his decisions. That's what Litmanen did - and he was gotten rid of as a result (even though he was arguably the only creative player in the team).

And Hamann's relationship with Houllier has been fractured at best since the CL defeat to Leverkusen a few years back. Hamann apparently questioned why he was taken off (rightly so too) and since then he hasn't been in Gerard's good books.

Houllier is practically a dictator at Liverpool. Players question his judgment at their peril. That's why outspoken players of real talent such as Fowler, Litmanen, Babbel and even Anelka have been ostricised by Houllier while 'Yes' men like Heskey are so highly valued by him.

Anyway to get back on topic - Ferri or Diomede are probably the worst signings he's made. Although Igor is getting closer to that title with every starring performance. He's a crap midfielder, nevermind centre-half. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Diomede, how in the name of Helen Evelyn Lisa Louis is vignal in there? The poor ****er has been bloody loaned most of his career at liverpool. He offereed a lot when he did play and in order to become aclimatised to the English game has been farmed out to France and Spain.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭JippoKelly

Anyone remember Vignal in the Champions League match against Spartak Moscow away last season (I think it was last season anyway;))?

The poor guy came on as a sub but played so badly he was substitued himself after another 20 minutes or so.

I think that match probably signalled the end of his first team Liverpool career. Pity though, he had shown promise before then.

yeah, he was brutal that day

• Advertisement

Fowler had been off his game for years...although I was sad to see him go, his record since leaving proved it was good business sense to seel him. 12m was a lot for a player that was not scoring and he was priced basically on his past reputation. Not too mant teams would touch him now.

Its such a shame he has wasted so much money on foreign imports that had supposedly a lot of potential but haven't delivered. Most of his buys were bought as future potential. He shoudl have done what Wenger did and paid the money on bringing proven european class to Anfield like he did with Litmanen (a few more like him and we were moving right) and brought some youngsters through like Otsemobor, Wright, Partridge. What the hell are they having an academy for when they don't use it.

The board must have had blinkers on when they gave GH power to make a lot of those decisions. Just cos he brought SG through, doesn't make him a genius. I would have liked to have seen John Welsh get a look in this year. I think Partridge will be off and Otsemobor also if they don't get a look in soon and that would be a real shame. If you look at the team the only players that are busting their gut week in are the local lads like SG and Carra. They need a few more local lads in there to bring back that fighting spirtit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭wiped

Well I've never seen Diomede play so I guess he is the absolute worst ... but of who I've actually seen play in a Red shirt - I go for Daoi ... ****in terrible .. he has brought nothing to the club 'cept to be a nate for that other bag-o-sh!te - Douif ..... Houlier must go ....... NOW

To be fair to Diouf he's not been played in his correct position. I honestly think that if he was up front, we would see a lot more out of him. Heskey has had one good season and he's been rubbish since and plays up front all the time. Diouf is played out of position every time. He's not a wide player. Simple as that. OK he hasn't really given us much to shout about, but before Henry moved to Arsenal, he was played as a wide person and was just about to be loaned out to Udinese cos he wasn't cutting it. Wenger took him, played him through the middle and now they have a player everybody wants. Diouf could make it up front, you only have to see it in his way of play and he would be a tricky player up front. It's all really down to GH playing players out of their positions. He was under pressure to give us more width this year and instead of going for an wide right midfielder, he opted to use Diouf and it hasn't worked out.
    I agree he hasn't worked out and he was an expensive buy and a bad buy when you consider what we have up front in Owen, Baros, Pongolle, but I think he was bought as a front man and GH was pressured into playing him because of his price so he stuck him out wide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭ChumpStain

I voted Diouf because of the price they paid and the return(or lack of) they've got off him over the last couple of years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

This thread reminds of the following article. That man has spent millions, with some well dodgy signings. I mean Biscan..... FFS !

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/feature?id=264163&cc=5739

• Advertisement

Christ , when they're listed like that it makes it all the worse ... someone should print that down and send it to the Liverpool board .... sign it "my resignation : Gerard Houlier"

Baros & Barmby shouldn't be there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

I reckon it was his own contract. He shouldn't have signed that at all.

Originally posted by Lex Luthor
    Baros & Barmby shouldn't be there.

The article doesn't slate Baros (and rightly so...) , it just covers all of Houliers signings and when listed like that it's fairly easy to see he has had very limited successful signings but an awful lot of sh!te ones .... au revoir Mr. Houlier ...

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭[DF]Lenny

What about that other French assistant coach guy who's name escapes me...the guy who likes psychoanalyzing players..or the big oaf up front who scored 2 goals in some carling cup game.. Eric Meijer thats the guy. Their was another French midfielder Roche or something played 2 sub appearances (was one of GH 1st signings) defensive midfielder he was total crap also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

Considering the fee paid, influence in the team, consistent performance and footballing talent it has to be Emile Heskey. Although Diouf, in my opinion, isn't far behind the big man.

£21m for the pair of them :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

I reckon Biscan by a mile, close to 8 mil and he was supposed to be the next Desailly type, bull Liverpool look a lot stronger without him...

john

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

ah johnor what are ya talkin bout it has to be barmby.he is totl and utter rubbish!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Mighty_Mouse

There all ****e in fairness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

barmby

I disagree... barmby had a great season Liverpool won the treble.. after that he got injured and GH never picked him much after that...

• Advertisement
Advertisement