Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need obscure laptop part-please help

Options
  • 03-12-2003 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭

I have a HP ZT1120 which is perfect in every way except that the power socket ie the receiver where the AC adapter plugs in, is broken beyond repair.
    I found a service manual on the net and took the machine apart. I desoldered the component and it fell apart in my hands. It is now in five pieces and is beyond repair. It had a dry solder joint in it first so it is burned. I am guessing it then got rough treatment to try and make it connect.
    I have tried HP but they will only sell me a new mobo for around €600. I have also tried a guy who is usually able to find anything and he had no luck.
    If anyone has any suggestions, I am all ears. If I can't do it any other way, I may hard wire the ac adapter to the machine. It's better than nothing but not a very elegant solution.
    Thanks, iwb.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

I presume you have tried Maplins, Radionics and Farnell?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Yep ... try maplin etc ....first try to find your one ... but it may not be available anymore, after that try to find one that has the same pin positions and roughly the same connector size as the broken one ... make sure that it is able to carry a few amps .... maplin etc usually sell the 'male' connector as well so you can rejig your power cable and Roberts your Relative

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭iwb

I tried Radionics and Peats. I kind of knew Peats was a waste of time before I called. Radionics has generic ones but this thing needs to have five pins total as there is a switch built in. I assume it disconnects the battery or changes connections somehow when the ac is plugged in. It is very specific.
    If I can't get the one I need, i'm sure I could work something out but again, it won't be too elegant.
    Thanks for the suggestions. I will try Farnell and Maplin now.

Advertisement