Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Alex Ferguson's worst signing?

• 03-12-2003 6:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭

He's not perfect you know :p

Taggart's worst signing? 84 votes

Erik Nevland
    0% 0 votes
    Quinton Fortune
    1% 1 vote
    Jordi Cruyff
    1% 1 vote
    Mark Bosnich
    5% 5 votes
    Massimo Taibi
    13% 11 votes
    Rio Ferdinand
    36% 31 votes
    Juan Sebastian Veron
    13% 11 votes
    Laurent 'bus pass' Blanc
    19% 16 votes
    Ricardo
    8% 7 votes
    Diego Forlan
    1% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Interesting thread topic there JTG ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Taibi!
    Whatever else is wrong with the team you have to have a good goalie! He was a disaster!

A lot of ppl voting for Rio! I would'nt think he's that bad?? But they did pay way too much for him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

William Prunier? I think he was only ever there on either loan or trial. He was shockingly poor though.

Anyway, I think it has to be Ferdinand. To pay that kind of money for an average defender, who had a good world cup was madness. His former teammate Jonathan Woodgate is a much better player to my mind and went for a fraction of the fee Ferdinand cost, showing just how overpriced he was. Veron is a similar case, but at least they got some of that money back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I would say Veron... The payed a stupid amount of money and done feck all... At least Ferdinand gets a regular game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Poborsky was and is a decent player, he never really fit in anywhere at Manchester United though. As for Prunier, never even heard of him :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    I would say Veron... The payed a stupid amount of money and done feck all... At least Ferdinand gets a regular game.
    if only united kept veron for this season!!! with beckham gone he would of had more first team football and imo this would of been his season to really shine!!! (i'm soo going to get shot down on this:) ) as for ye voting for Taibi it wasnt his fault, he was wearing the wrong boots:rolleyes: )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭James R

Prunier was only on loan

Also if i'm not mistaken I think Taibi was only on loan too? Nevland wasn't a bad player but it wasn't easy to get into a strikeforce with Sheringham, Cole, Yorke and Solskjaer around.

Ricardo, while maybe not a bad player, was a pointless signing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭cr1spy

Has to be Laurent Blanc. I have never seen a defender play quite as bad as him. The season we sold Jaap Stam and signed him was a disaster, and I lay most of the blame at his slow, shuffling feet.
    He was the slowest player Ive ever seen! Now and again he had a few nice touches, and I'm sure he was quality a few years back. But in all fairness he was given a whole season to prove himself and that he proved was that was cráp. He got more time then Taibi ever did anyway.
    A sad end to fine career, me thinks. Should have quit while he was ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Shaque attack

has to be veron he couldn't pass, defend, run or give a **** and united payed €26m for him

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 201 ✭✭Rodney Trotter

The price is relevant only if it prevented the club signing someone else, I don't think there is any case to prove that.
    Fergie is at OT 17 years.

[EDIT]TwoShedsJackson[/EDIT] has left out at least 10 candidates who were a hell of a lot worse than those on his list.
    He should have qualified his poll with
    "As I am just a spotty young lad and cannot remember when Fergie joined OT, what was the worst signing of the past 4 years?"

[EDIT]Final warning Rodney, once more and you are out for a week.[/EDIT]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Shaque attack

Originally posted by Rodney Trotter
    The price is relevant only if it prevented the club signing someone else, I don't think there is any case to prove that.
    they might have been able to afford Kewell if they had that €26m

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Jesus alot of ABU's on here if Rio has that many votes, it has to be taibi though with Veron being the bigest waste of money at least we got more than 50% back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by RasTa
    Jesus alot of ABU's on here if Rio has that many votes
    It doesn't say who was the worst player Ferguson signed, it says what was his worst signing. Therefore a lot of people would agree that Ferdinand, or any centre half, is not worth anywhere near 30 million and if he had've waited a while he could have got him for less than 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Aliminator

Where's Barthez?
    he's had his ups (few), and rock bottoms..(many)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 201 ✭✭Rodney Trotter

Out for a week? two_sh*****************Ha , ha. I'm shaking!

As for affording Kewell? What is that about? Utd have £40m in the bank from selling blondie and baldy. Kewell showed a complete and utter lack of ambition and chose a club to suit him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by Aliminator
    Where's Barthez?
    he's had his ups (few), and rock bottoms..(many)
    I thougt Bartez played well for United and was defintely not the worst signing. Ferguson just stupidly played Roy Carroll instead of him at the end of last season, probably another Ferguson row.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

my question is wheres poborsky?
    Playing amazingly well for Sparta Prague in champions league, after winning serie a with lazio a season or two ago (I think it was that season he was there)..

But that does not matter does it :)

BTW - do we have to have a daily "man u bashing" thread? Its getting boring

Originally posted by tHE vAGGABOND

BTW - do we have to have a daily "man u bashing" thread? Its getting boring

Nope - put it up as a counter to the 'Houllier's worst signing' thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

There are a lot worse signings than there are here. Seems to me these all only recent years.

Remember Ralph Milne, Neil Webb & Mike Phelan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭rocco

Bosnich he never hardly paid and he was a top earner a complete waste

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Veron. No doubt. £28.1 million for a guy that lost plenty of games for us, and won very few. Waste of space. I feel stupid for standing up for him over the past two years. Even Chelsea are winning without him in the team.

I don't see what people see wrong with us signing Ferdinand. We have the joint best defensive record this season in the premiership, and the best defensive record last year. He may not be up to standard in Europe yet but he's only young, he'll get there.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Originally posted by rocco
    Bosnich he never hardly paid and he was a top earner a complete waste
    Got him for free. And he done a years service for us (in which he didn't do half bad). I can't see what anyone has wrong with him either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Neil Webb

Pre fergie but In fairness to webb he was ok until he got tha bad knee injury, he was never the same after that.

IMO Uniteds worst signing to date

Garry Birtles

Transfer fee: £1.25m
    Today his fee is worth: £3.2m
    Today he would cost: £23.8m

Yes, there was a time when United got it wrong. Very wrong, and Garry Birtles was the pick of the bunch. Yet in 1980 few people raised an eyebrow at the transfer when Dave Sexton gave Brian Clough so much for a player who in a couple of seasons at Forest had shown himself to be the epitome of the modern centre-forward: strong, mobile and deadly. But his loss of form at Old Trafford was shocking and mysterious - one match report described his performance as 'bordering on the statuesque'. He took almost an entire year (from 22 October, 1980 until 19 September, 1981) to break an embarrassing duck and finally score his first United goal. A predictable cut-price sale back to the City Ground ended a long nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

Sir Alec has said before that his worst signing ever was Ralph Milne.
    I voted for Rio, just coz.

Let's get this one back here seeing as the Houllier one's been bumped :)

I still say Fortune is unfit to wear a United shirt.

Originally posted by smiaras
    Hmmm wonder what all those who voted Rio will be saying now?

EDIT/ BTW he never even saw Forlan playing before signing him

Are you trying to defend Fergie there?? Spending 7.5 million on a player you've never seen playing is pretty damn stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Every once in a while I see a little bit of a spark in Forlan, I think it was in the Fulham game last time.

I think he'll develop into a decent squad/super sub player

Alex wont sell him cause he wont even get 5 for him

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭JippoKelly

It's got to be Ralph Milne. Ferguson held out so much hope for him when he brought him down form Scotland. And he flopped. Even more so than Diego Scoreman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

what about Neil webb or paul parker

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭gudpony

why is fortune on dat list. he was a good signing.

Originally posted by gudpony
    why is fortune on dat list. he was a good signing.

He's on that list beacuse he's shit.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

it has to be veron not because he was the worst player or did the worst but simply because of the money they paid for him compared to how well he did.gotta be the worst signing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Humphrey

Juan Veron.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭watman

Turning down Zidane and getting Poborsky and Cryuff instead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Humphrey

Good one watman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

fergusons worst signing? his last contract

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

what ****in idiot said paul parker? he was a member of the greatest defence in Man U history, Paul Parker, Gary Pallister, Steve Bruce, Denis Irwin. Season 92 - 93, ya gimp

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭The Phenom

I don't know Porborsky was s*it. So was Blanc though remember when they bought him we lost to Bolton Liverpool Arsenal Newcastle and Chelsea and every fecking ABU went crazy saying how the first letters spelt out Blanc indicating that it was all his fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭The Phenom

Originally posted by Draupnir
    what ****in idiot said paul parker? he was a member of the greatest defence in Man U history, Paul Parker, Gary Pallister, Steve Bruce, Denis Irwin. Season 92 - 93, ya gimp

Dude no need to resort to petty insults.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Creon

it's gotta be the one and only Massimo Taibi. he was absolute muck, although in fairness perhaps he can play the "having trouble settling in to first team football in engalnd" card, but he still doesn't cut it

As for Rio, i was very tempted to vote for him, especially considering the money paid for him and his now sbsent spell, but he is a good quality defender(not great and wouldn't get into the arsenal defence but nonetheless he's good).

Paul Parker more than pulled his weight in the united team when he was around,

What about the best player ferguson ever signed?
    Either of the two irish lads get my vote, that's Keane or Irwin, both were great value for money,especially Irwin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

Djemba Djemba tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

hmm.. tough 1. Djemba Djemba, Taibi, Forlan.... the list goes on, but if i had to choose, Forlan, i just hate the sight of him. Rio was **** at the start of his man u career but look how much they're suffering without him, must mean he's good but, not great. As for his greatest signing it has to be Roy Keane without doubt, they miss that cutting edge without him.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭NightStrike

Give Djemba Djemba time. He has shown signs of being good in between injuries/internationals and its only his first season in a foreign country and hes young. Don't think Rio was a good vote. It wasn't his biggest waste of money it was the player he got that did nothing for him really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

Veron @ 28m would be my pick, tho 30m for mr rio 'lucy in the sky with diamonds' ferdinand seems a dire buy right about now, bet he doesn't last long at utd once his ban is up :)

thats 58m on 2 poor buys, oh dear, sack the jock and end the nightmare please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 doozerjack

It has to be Veron, if value for money is the measuring stick.
    For talent and productivity, Poborsky, or else a baldy-headed French defender who's name is temporarily slipping my mind - Prunier?!

The best buy is harder, coz in fairness, he's snapped up some of the best bargains in living memory - Cantona, Irwin, Schmeichel, Ole, Keane, . . . I think Howard could become one too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

I cant help but smile whenever United bring him on or when he starts :)

you just know he's gonna miss at least one easy chance in the game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 doozerjack

Just noticed the Kewell being mentioned in this thread, re if the 26m paid for Veron had been available. Granted he's a talented player, but as far as I remember, Ferguson was quoted as saying he was a "very odd young man" having spoken to him. I'd say he was being diplomatic. He's regarded as a self-serving premadonna in Australia, and I reckon they're onto something. Cant see him hanging around long if he gets a good offer from the continent, where he claimed he wanted to play when pushing for a move from Leeds. I think he would have been bad news in the long run.

• Advertisement
Advertisement