Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non Quake, virus info needed.

Options
  • 07-12-1999 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry for the non-quake post but:

Elfbowling. Has anyone played this? Well, a girl in work got a mail from the makers (supposedly) saying that the game could cause problems on christmas day. When I tried to reply to find out more, the mail address couldn't be found. Anyone else hear of this supposed bug\virus?

I know, the simplest thing is just to get everyone to delete it, but I would prefer not to have to put up with the complaining.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭Coyler

Got this from a friend of mine.
    "this was detected by the royal bank of scotlands virus shield, so i trust it's judgement!!!!"
    TO ALL
    IF YOU HAVE RECEIVED ANY OF THESE GAMES = FROGAPULT.EXE ELFBOWL.EXE(FROG GAME) & (ELF BOWLING GAME)PLEASE CAN YOU DELETE THEM COMPLETELY OUT OF YOUR SYSTEM AS THEY BOTH HAVE A DELAYED VIRUS ATTACHED TO THEM THAT WILL BE ACTIVATED ON CHRISTMAS DAY AND WILL WIPE OUT YOUR SYSTEM. LET EVERYONE KNOW OF THIS.

Take it or leave it, you decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Do you more details on the Virus. (point to Web page details)

This is how Goodtimes spread, and I don't need that grief, however a few muppets here have been playing those games and as I'm in charge of the machines I'd like to know more before I go around spanking people. smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

LOL, elf bowling is great fun!

You can get it here:
    http://www.geetrish.com/fundls.htm

Let the good times roll!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

As someone who use to work for a financial institution I wouldn't trust virus shield software as far as I could throw a fully racked 42u cabinet.

Oh and I checked symantecs virus and hoax database:

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/vinfodb.htm
    and they haven't heard about it. And I trust them smile.gif
    Sounds like over-enthusiastic IT staff (unlikely wink.gif ) or a local hoax-mongorer.

[Insert cool quote here]
    Play GLminesweeper!
    http://www.iol.ie/~adamj/dl/mineswp.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Darkedge

if you have any virus problems mail em to me and i'll take a peek like.

Will

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

well, it's official, it's a hoax.

I'll post the site address in a while, but it's on the Sophos hoax site under 'what's new' along with a copy of the hoax email.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Jak

There was no listing under priority Data on this one .. but i asked and was told Hoax.

J.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

Folks, is there a way of logging onto NT as a Guest User ?? I didn't want to create a new post for this or someone would ate the head off me, so added it to this OT post. If so, what is the userid and passwd used ????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

you mean like the default guest account ?
    username guest and no password.
    but it's probably disabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

guest account as deranged said.

However they still need something shared out with guest access rights or you can't do it.

Disabling guest access will in most cases stop other machines from being to able to connect period, as they use the guest account to get first contact before logging in with actual username/password.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

about the virus thing - Network Associates say its a hoax http://vil.nai.com/vil/ve10464.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Thought as much.
    And the moral of the story is:
    If your friends send you a warning about a virus and one of the sites mentioned above hasn't got it listed then it's almost certainly a hoax.

And please, don't have nightmares.

[Insert cool quote here]
    Play GLminesweeper!
    http://www.iol.ie/~adamj/dl/mineswp.jpg

ah, but another saying is

'when the 'puters go tits up, the boss won't accept "I was almost sure" as an excuse'.

OK, another virus question.

(actually, out of interest, which would be the 'correct' board for these)

anyway,

1. we can't get rid of the W97class virus (harmless thing that infects the normal.dot template in Word). We change the .dot file, sweep the directory but the ******* keeps popping back up again and again.

2. another possible hoax, a virus called newexplore.zip , I have heard the Ericsson shut down their server because of it (one of the other IT peeps here knows peeps in ericsson). can't find any information on it though, anyone got any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Jak

Not sure about the board - Maybe next time use one of the Techie Boards ..

But for now anyway - I'm not sure about the Newexplore.zip - maybe tis a variant of Wsexplorezip viruses ... in which case ye have problems.

As for the class virus - there are 1 or two variants out there all with different messages or timed for the 14th or whatever - its nasty mostly cause it changes its code every now and then allowing it to avoid detection. And also word thinks its really part of Word .. so it wont show up in the macro tools listing.

If your AV software cant get rid of it change your software .. cause i think manually it'd be a real ***** to catch.

Prioritydata.ie have new drivers to catch it which run with Dr.Solomons.

J.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Steven

You can elf-bowl on your computer too? sunglasses.gif

Advertisement