Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Java Hell In Gmit @ Castlebar

Options
  • 03-12-2003 9:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

Ok just a question to other students out there who have just started Java this term . What are ye able to do? We have a **** Lecturer and most of the class can just about make a Jframe and set the background colour thats it!!!
    We haven't a clue what we are at ....
    Any pointers...
    and if anyone sugeests java.sun.com I will hunt you down and beat you with your own shoe.
    I need something for the really basic beginners. It needs to be praticly english. I'm mean I don't even know what a class is??
    HELP!!!! On behalf of all the PPL in BOS's Class in Castlebar.

:confused::confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Abandon all hope ye who enter here :)

Buy a Java fopr dummies book between ye, photocopy it in th estaff photocopying office and distribute.

Or else take it to the SU and then year head and if that does not help the Katie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭PopTart

Way ahead of you ... we made a complaint about a month ago and nothing happened so we just put in a letter of complaint to the head of dept

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Looks like the JFD book is your only hope so..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭davros

I have heard a lot of very good things about the book "Thinking in Java" as a place for beginners to start on Java.

You can buy it or download the entire thing for free here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

just about make a Jframe and set the background colour thats it!!!

WTF ???

That lecturer need a good kick up the hole.

He should be teaching you the concepts of Object Oriented programming (and perhaps a few design patterns) and using Java as the language to show you how to implement these OO techniques.

A JFrame ???

WTF !!???!!

Idiot - the majority of Java code runs on servers, not as a crappy little GUI.

You should ask the lecturer what value that has !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I would also recommend Thinking in Java as posted above.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

Definately shouldn't be messing with Java GUI stuff. It's a waste of time really.

I've been doing java for 3 years and we learn GUI stuff on our own time if we really want to. Everything other than GUI stuff is the way to go in java.

A few courses seem to be doing this. Maybe it's meant to be a waster module or something.

I've heard of it being done in Post Leaving Cert Courses, another thread mentioned a Computers/Engineering course and now you've mentioned it in GMIT.

What actually is the title of your degree?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Bruce Eckel is a programming god.

Pay homage at his tabernacle.... preferably by ritualistic sacrificing of the small children/animals in the wee hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭CH

how about reading the tutorials on java.sun.com

it kicks off with...
    Your First Cup of Java: Detailed instructions to help you run your first program: UNIX, Microsoft Windows, Mac
    if you can't handle these... give up now and leave!
    We have a **** Lecturer
    you're in BIG school now. lecturers aren't there to hold your hand!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭boo-boo

this is an excellent java site
    http://www.javaranch.com/
    (if a bit cheesey)

good stuff here too
    http://www.ibiblio.org/java/

& for my money this is the best java book - well worth the cash

http://www.ii.uib.no/~khalid/pgjc/jcbook/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

The Bruce Eckel book is great but mightn't be the best if you're having troulbe with Java in the first place. I was using it to teach myself Java and found some of it going above me (bear in mind I wasn't learning Java with any direction in mind though).

If you've already got the basics from college the book may very well come into its own.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

lol we have a similar problem, we ddi C in first year (why i don't know) then, in second year we had a lousy lecturer who continued in java where we stopped in C. Im repeating third year now and am still crap at java, i hate it so much its not user friendly (and yes i tried net beans and LCreator and JBuilder).

sigh C# is soooo much easier

ps that lecturer from second year changed her teaching methods after our group and is now supposed to be very good

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Dr Pepper

Idiot - the majority of Java code runs on servers, not as a crappy little GUI.

In my experience, GUI's are an essential tool in Java. Any program you want your average Joe (customer) to use these days has got to have simple buttons, menus and output display. Hard-core 'nerds' seem to dis all things graphic. Why?

We learned GUIs first, Java structure thoery later which is not ideal either! Friends of mine have been doing Java in college for years and still have not touched GUIs. Surely a nice friendly GUI would make it easier to see the application of programming in a more real, physical way that people are used to.

I suppose it just depends on what type of program you want to write. Anyway, what was the question again? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I feel your pain.

Try getting him interested in something, he's a better lecturer when he gets into it. Ask him how to do something really cool but difficult, then make him backtrack to explain the basic components. He really does know his stuff, he just can't get it across very well - you might need to teach him to teach you.

Your other lecturers are your friends. Use them to teach you stuff and for advice. Pick the most nerdy of them for the best help :)

Al.

Advertisement