Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking for something a little different ...

• 03-12-2003 10:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I hope you's have some idea what I'm after... I'm looking for something different to listen to. Something that has an atmospheric feeling to it. Something that I can mellow out to at the end of a days work... its hard to describe.. music that you can listen to, close your eyes and see yourself in a different world

This sound has something about it that I like, atmosphere, eerie feeling, apocalyptic, gives goose pimples but yet it’s sort of relaxing. That’s something like what I'm after

any ideas what/who makes this kind of sounds?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Well Aphex Twin has some songs like that i think.

Try his remix of "NiN - At the heart of it all". Its kind of apocolyptic and thats what i like about it anyway. Different tastes for different people though. You'd really have to look for what you like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭spahndirge

you can't really go wrong with "at the heart of it all", excellent track.

here's some recommendations.........

amon tobin - deo
    amon tobin - easy muffin
    requiem for a dream soundtrack
    nine inch nails - closer cd single 1 (remember the opening title music for se7en?)

two other bands i'm not sure if you have checked out but they might be what your looking for...

autechre, very strange and dysfunctional electronic act
    sigur ros, totally atmospheric based, sounds a bit like bjork on sedatives

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Blimey Ando thats not much to go on! Are you looking to buy or download from the net?

Try this for size -

Hi-Fi stream www.electronicscene.com/tracks/1608/6736/1/1/1/FutureMusicCorp_-_Twilights_Last_Gleaming.m3u

Download - www.electronicscene.com/tracks/1608/6736/1/1/0/FutureMusicCorp_-_Twilights_Last_Gleaming.mp3

More where that came from....

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭kano476

dj shadow cant get more atmospheric than that. try midnight in a perfect world or stem/long stem. also another good artist for that kind of music is quantic - time is the enemy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭ando

yeah mike, that sound is quite good

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Personally I wouldn't go with Amon Tobin or Shadow.. way to hectic.. theres only one cure for this... and thats Lifeforms by Future Sound Of London... that and a pair of headphones WILL transform you elsewhere... that or Funki Porcini - Fast Asleep and the accompanying DVD! .. bliss.

elsewhere:
    B12 - Time Tourist
    Amorphous Androgynous - Tales Of Ephidrena (earlier FSOL)
    Brian Eno - Ambient I: Music For Airports

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

not sure if this would be up your street...
    I have been listening to a group called "Bent", it's got some different, mellow tunes.
    Worth checking out. They have been around for a while and have a couple of albums

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by ando
    yeah mike, that sound is quite good

Glad you (quite) liked it! :)

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

why has nobody mentioned Tangerine Dream - Zeit yet? superb album

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 lectro

Hiya

Sounds like you need the Sigur Ros album (). My fave album of the last couple of years.

Other chilled out stuff that I can recommend;

Brian Eno - Apollo and Athmospheres
    Cocteau Twins - Victorialand
    Sigur Ros - Agaetis byrjun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I heard a cool tune by Quantic. It's called "Time is the Enemy". Nice and mellow

KR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭BeatFreak

I hate to praise the cúnt but Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works II always managed to send me to that "other place". Or any of Brian Eno's work especially Music for Airports, as mentioned :)

[EDIT] Dur, almost forgot the most important one - Susumu Yakota, in particular Image which is a collection of his older works. In a word stunning.... [/EDIT]

Originally posted by Beat Freak
    I hate to praise the cúnt but Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works II always managed to send me to that "other place"

erm

why exactly do you hate to praise oul richard?

Because I made the mistake of talking to him once or twice, and surprise surprise turns out he's a total arsehole. Its a personal thing really but I never found his work particlarly interesting with the exception of Selected Ambient Works and possibly his Polygone Window alias both of which are not really an amazing innovation, just well put together. I was always more of a Squarepusha head tbh.

i quite like them both, a mate of mine is very good mates with richard actually and ive heard hes a top bloke:confused:

hes playin here soon actually

Well I certainly wont be going to that, he's not exactly the crowd pleaser... Mind you he played some blistering speedcore at the end of his set at sonar last year, which I enjoyed... And on the subject of his personality, I've met him twice and both times he had his head firmly placed right up his... erm well you know the rest.

ah i dont want a crowdpleaser in him, i want a completely ****ed up abstract set, with no regard to peoples opinions on him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

http://www.lowqui.com/music/lowqui/DJBlameLowQuiLifeFM131203.m3u

there you go :twothumbs:

big file but well well worth it, its dj blame and mc lowqui on life fm last week its deadly theres loads of unreleased stuff on it and lowqui's awesome on the mic once he gets going the tunes are pretty good too nice dark rolling stuff blame runs 720 recordings and used to be signed to ltj bukems good looking recordings he mixed logical progression two although this is a few notches more lively than that... check it out!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Limey

Looking for something different, make sure you try each of the following, each beautiful in their own unique way, no cheese to be heard here -

Ulrich Schnauss - In A Strangely Isolated Place [City Centre Offices]
    Multiplex - Pinghaus Frequencies [Toytronic]
    Apparat - Duplex [****kapult]
    Dettinger - Oasis[Kompakt]
    Ulf Lohmann - Because Before [Kompakt]
    Icebreaker International & Manual - Into Forever [Handshake]

If you like these, there is plenty where they came from, they just don't get the attention in the ****e music mags.

Enjoy:)

Advertisement