Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help!! Samsung Gprs Settings!!!

• 03-12-2003 11:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Does ANYONE own a Samsung V200 Phone? I can't use GPRS or MMS because I bought it abroad. I am with vodafone but they told me-they didn't have sttings for it-Samsung don't have them.

I have tried everything-surely there is one person in this country who has a Samsung V200 on an 087 sim card and it works-I have tried everything: WHAT ARE YOUR SETTINGS??!! Please and thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Have a look at the operator settings sticky and you should be able to configure then handset with those. If not, post up what settings you have managed to input so far and we can have a look to see where you are going wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Dor999

The operator don't have any settings for the phone-I was hoping someone in Ireland operated this phone on Vodafone-and therefore had the settings to give me!! I have tried everything-UK etc Nothing works-thanks for reply though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭Faltermyer

The software on the phone more than likely does not support OTA(Over The Air) sending of settings profiles, hence why the network says they dont have settings for it.

Truth is - They DO have settings for it, they are the same as any other phone, they just dont have a pre-defined profile they can send you. I.E. they are lazy!
    GPRS/MMS settings are the exact same for all phones, they may have slightly different names in each phone, but the actual values entered are the exact same.

Get into a Vodafone store and try to find someone who knows something other than what price the phones are and the should be able to do it for you.

Ive set GPRS/MMS up on many phones which dont support OTA, with no problems, takes a little time but they are all doable.

Unfortunately, I dont work for Vodafone(thankfully) or use their network, so I dont personally know their settings.

All the settings you need should be in the thread in this forum.

If your really stuck, then go to the WAP/Services menu/section of your phone, go to a Connection Profile and write in a post here all the options it asks you for... ill try get some time when im in work later and look through the Vodafone settings above and match them up to your phone.

Below are the generic settings for any GPRS WAP and MMS device. The menu labels on the Samsung will be slightly different but you should be able to enter then if you actually try.... Call Vodafone and tell then that you want to be set up as a Nokia 6610 and this will provision you correctly on the network for the services that your handset is capable off..

WAP GPRS settings (Default profile)

Settings name – WAP GPRS
    Homepage – http://wap.e-merge.ie/
    Session mode – Permanent
    Connection Security – Off
    Data bearer – GPRS
    Bearer Settings
    GPRS access point – wap.vodafone.ie
    IP address – 10.24.59.100
    Authentication type – Normal
    Login type – Automatic
    Username – dublin
    Password – dublin

WAP Home Settings

Settings name – WAP Home
    Homepage – http://wap.e-merge.ie/
    Session mode – Permanent
    Connection Security – Off
    Data bearer – GSM data
    Bearer Settings
    Dialup number - +353872292222
    IP address – 10.24.59.100
    Data call type – ISDN
    Data call speed – 9600
    Login type – Automatic
    Username – dublin
    Password – dublin

MMS GPRS settings (Default profile)

Settings name – MMS GPRS
    Homepage – http;//www.vodafone.ie/mms
    Session mode – Permanent
    Data bearer – GPRS
    Bearer Settings
    GPRS access point – mms.vodafone.net
    IP address – 10.24.59.200
    Username – dublin
    Password – dublin

Truth is - They DO have settings for it, they are the same as any other phone, they just dont have a pre-defined profile they can send you. I.E. they are lazy! GPRS/MMS settings are the exact same for all phones, they may have slightly different names in each phone, but the actual values entered are the exact same.

The truth is they do not have specific settings for the handset. The handset has not been passed on the network, nor has it even been tested. Thus there is not a prepared document containing instructions on how to configure the handet. Secondly, while it is true that all handsets are capable of accessing a gprs network, they do not all operate in the manner expected, thus get rejected by networks. This is mostly to do with MMS services recently with devices such as the P800 needing a number of firmware revisions before it was eventually passed. A similar case was with the T610 but this was to do with a hissing sound during calls..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭Faltermyer

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    The truth is they do not have specific settings for the handset.

The handset has not been passed on the network, nor has it even been tested. Thus there is not a prepared document containing instructions on how to configure the handet.

they do not all operate in the manner expected, thus get rejected by networks.
    I did not say that they have Specific settings for the phone, but that they should know the generic settings, which should work on it.

While it helps, there should not have to be a Prepared Document for them to set up the phone or at least try to set up the phone.

1. They should have a generic profile to provision a customer for all GPRS/MMS services if their handset is not a listed/tested one.

2. The customer care guys should be able to talk you through the setup, or at least make a good attempt to get you set up. It wouldnt take a genius to think of calling you back on another phone, getting you to go through the options on your phone and making an educated guess at what settings go where.

I know of a few people who have moved to Meteor with Sharp GX10s, Panasonic GD87's and other phones and have been set up in this way.

• Advertisement

I certainly agree that alot of things need to be changed on that front. The problem is still with the CSR, most of the them are your average joe and have very little experience or knowledge of handsets. They are simply not able to talk someone through the configuration of any randon handset because they do not know anything about it. Most of them have probably never used a Samsung handset before. Its not ideal, nor I am saying its right, but you gotta be realistic..

Advertisement