Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Media Player Buffering

Options
  • 03-12-2003 11:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭

All of a sudden, when streaming video using WMP, the video isn't buffered at all. WMP just attempts to play the downloading file straight away without any buffering. It used to buffer but it's just stopped recently. In options I have "Use default buffering" ticked. Anyone have any idea what might be wrong ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

Hi PhoenixRising, what version of WMP are you using?

This may be an obvious question, but when you say it's not buffereing anymore, does that mean it's not working?

WMP 9 should have a lower buffer rate than previous versions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

Sorry its WMP 9. I've been using it for ages now and it used to buffer video fine, but now it makes no attempt to buffer and simply tries to play the video straight away resulting in lots of prolonged pausing and stuttering. The only way around it now is for me to manually pause it to let it buffer a bit and then press play again.

PhoenixRising, can you verify that on the Network Tab (under Options) you have the following checkboxes checked:
    Multicast
    UDP
    TCD
    HTTP

and under Streaming proxy settings

Protocol: HTTP
    Proxy: Browser

Under the Performance Tab, activate the following radio buttons:
    Detect connection speed (recommended)
    Use default buffering (recommended)

Yep, just checked and I have that exact configuration. I'm downloading mpeg's, they can be streamed can't they ? I think I might just try a reinstall. By the way I'm using a broadband connection and my d/l speeds are ~55kB/sec so I should be able to stream video quite easily.

Ah - the files need to be streamed from a streaming server for this to work.

Otherwise, WMP will download the file, and attempt to play it as it's downloading.

For example, if you go to www.windowsmedia.com and click a video link there, http://partner.mymovies.net/windowsmedia/default.asp?url=/film/fid856/trailers/trid1145/wm/bb.asx&filmid=856 for example, it should stream correctly to your machine.

What you're doing will cause that jerky effect unless the downbload rate is faster than the play rate.

HTH.

• Advertisement

Ah that's it. I was obviously downloading from a non-streaming server. That link you gave me is working fine.

Many thanks Colm.

Advertisement