Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Cinema Systems?

Options
  • 03-12-2003 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    Does anybody have any advice on what home cinema system to buy with a budget of €500? I still haven't bought but am still looking for a 32inch tv.
    I also have sky digital, would the surround sound effect be on all the sky channels (movies,music etc) or would I need some thing else?

Thanks
    Brian

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

r u looking for a system with or without a dvd. how many things will u be connecting to it and does ur sky box have a digital output r standard twin phonos?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

We would need to know the answers to SteKelly's questions, plus:

What size room is the system to go into? Are you looking for discreet speakers or will you be ok with 'normal' hi-fi size speakers? How important is playing music through this system to you? Do you have speaker cable ran, or can you run speaker cable easily? How flexible is your €500 budget?

We need to know all this, cos as you probably know, there are thousands of home cinema systems available, and bazillions of seperates combinations you can put together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Gunn4r

I would really like some info on this too

I have like a widescreen tv, few consoles , cable box etc and would love to know how to set up a home cinema (pref with video switching) for a small living room

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Loggie

I am not sure about the outputs on the digibox will have a look later.
    I need a system with a dvd player. The room is approx 22 ft by 15 ft. Playing music is not important to me its mostly for dvd's and tv. I would like to keep the budget at €500. Speakers need to be descrete and wires would have to run along the skirting boards and around door frames (solid wood floor). The only things to be connected to the system would be a tv, digibox, dvd player(which I need) and a video recorder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

A normal Sky digibox will have stereo phono outs while a Sky+ box will also have an optical digital out.

• Advertisement

Well normally I wouldn't recommend all-in-one cinema packages, but based on what you have said, and of my experience with this product I would recommend the Yamaha DVX-S120 at €459 as the package for you. Try calling into Danfay (Yamaha distributors) in Aungier Street for a demo. I've used this kit a couple of times before and have been well impressed with it overall. Component video out is also a major advantage.

If you are going to go for an all-in-one pack, Sony, Yamaha and Philips are the big players, so check out the offers from all three. The others that you will see around like JVC, Panasonic, LG and Pioneer are all pretty good, but for some reason the cinema kits they produce tend not to be as good as the three mentioned above.

or you could go for this beauty half as many watts again as the yamaha and in my opinion looks nicer at the same kind of money including delivery.

mm

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

if ur looking at all in ones have a demo of the sony davs-c5 ull b very impressed. have it demoed with the rears behind u and not as al lot of shops will do and just have them all in and around the tv and just turn the volume up full. out of the sony centre the only 1 ive come accross with it set up properly is o'connell street, its set up with a projector and is the dogs b****x.

Good call, Man, that Pioneer system was one of my favouites. I had thought it had been replaced, but I could be wrong. The controller unit / DVD on the Pioneer is really slick looking in the flesh. The speakers sound twice as good when you use Pioneer's stands with them. The stands are ridiculously heavy for the size of these little speakers, but they do the job and make the system sound sweet.

Advertisement