Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

who said bit torrent was fast?

• 04-12-2003 3:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭

are you kidding? i have a parade if i get 4KB/s! i have shared more MBs than downloaded

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭PcP

Ye gotta let it run for a while before it picks up but it does get fast, and generally the quality of downloads is excellent.
    If your on a 512/128 connection try changing the settings from unlimited to dsl/cable slow, and drop the upload rate to 10kB/s. AFAIK if your upload is being maxed out by others then your requests for pieces will have trouble getting through resulting in slower downloading.
    I usually get 40-50kB once it gets going but it does always start slow.

hth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Thanks mate! gonna test that out!

one more thing, can you please tell me what does AFAIK mean? that's one jargon i don't know :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

i don't know what any of them things mean, well except lol.

glad to see this thread, i thought i was using bit torrent wrong, thanks pcp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭jonhate

AFAIK -
    As Far As I know.

so where did you d/l bit Torrent ,did you google it?

What shít is on bit Torrent??
    music,movies,games???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

yeah you can download it here http://bitconjurer.org/BitTorrent/download.html

and check out here for great downloads <snip> no warez please. </snip>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

tlachta, I'd remove that link if I were you theres a lot of warez on it.
    I set my upload on dialup ISDN and get great downloads provided theres enough seeders and peers sharing the said torrent file.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I'd agree with Ste- there .... you are going to be disappointed if you pick a file with only 1 or 2 seeds (and there are no distributed copies) ... its happened to me a couple of times ... find that hard to locate file and get to 70% downloaded and the seed disconnects :rolleyes: ... basically choose popular downloads for speed and reliability ... suprnova has been having some severe problems with mirrors of the website and trackers ... basically the load is WAYYY too much ... they said the website is getting a million hits a day :eek: .... you might have to wait a little to get the torrent file ... if you cant connect to the tracker then just wait a little while for that as well ....

And the #1 rule: Leave it uploading after you have finished downloading!! (No sob stories that you cant because you only have a small cap from your ISP, if everyone trotted out that excuse there would be no bittorrent :mad:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Bittorrent is crap if your are behind a router or firewall, you need a direct connection to the Internet (or a very well set-up network) for it to really shine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

jonhate - thanks for AFAIK!

i'm using Shadows Bit torrent client, it's awesome!

http://bt.degreez.net/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

I was getting some stuff the day before yesterday and i got a DL speed of 90k combined over all the torrents.Thats with eircom 1mb adsl.''azureus'' bittorrent software is the best imo.bittorent is definatly the way forward it's sooo much better than kazaa and co.suprnova seems to be ok now,they got another new server.:D

CombatCow

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭muffen

Bittorrent is crap if your are behind a router or firewall

1, The router has nothing to do with this.

2, Firewall has nothing to do with your speeds if you only know how to configure it.

What you should have said is: I don't know how to configure my firewall, so I'll make the assumption that if you have a firewall, bittorrent is really slow.

There are like a billion guides on the net on how to configure a firewall for using with bittorrent... If you managed to find boards.ie, I'm sure you can find your way to google.com to search for a guide on how to configure your firewall.

BTW, I cap my upload at 5K if there are lots of seeds, and 10K if there aren't many.
    As said before here, keeping it uncapped slows down your own DL.

Na sorry what I meant is, is that bittorrent has problems if you are connecting to the net through a subnet i.e. there is a gateway giving you internet access; in other words direct connections to the net work best. This is a known issue and is being worked on. 90Kb on 1Mb is not impressive I could get 50-60Kb from Kazaa on 512Kb. I dont really use bittorent that much cause I dont really need it proper P2P networks work fine for me, thats why I never really bothered with it other then testing.

From the Bittorent FAQ:
    I'm behind a firewall/NAT, can I use BitTorrent?

Yes, but you will get better performance if other peers can connect to you. By default, BitTorrent listens on port 6881, trying incrementially higher ports if it's unable to bind, and gives up after 6889 (the port range is configurable). It's up to you to figure out how to poke a hole in your firewall/NAT.

If you dont have access to the Subnet Gateway you will get bad download speeds you must be the admin for the Gateway and map the ports.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Practical

Once you open ports on your router you should get good speeds 90% of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Originally posted by OfflerCrocGod
    90Kb on 1Mb is not impressive I could get 50-60Kb from Kazaa on 512Kb.

iv got 1mb (megabit) line, so 90k on bittorrent is fantastic compared with what i used to get with kazaa(30k-40k).anyway theres no way i ( or any sane person ) would go back to kazaa after using bittorrent.;)

CombatCow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by Practical
    Once you open ports on your router you should get good speeds 90% of the time.

It's not so much opening ports, more like forwarding them to a specified IP (machine running BT).
    Normally if someone tris to connect to your WAN IP unrequested on a specified port they'll be blocked and ignored; ie running a game server and people can't connect.
    To get around this you forward the specified ports to whatever machine is running the app/server and any unrequested incoming connections will be automatically forwardedonto that server, tgiving the impression that that machine is sitting on the internet (within that port range for the IP your ISP furnished you with) for all and sundry to connect to her whever they please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Ronaldo7

Alright Lads,

Im downloading @ 10kbps and uploading at 15kbps...fair? I think not...im only about 3mb ahead of what ive uploaded so far...NOT FAIR!!!

I have Zone Alarm Pro. Newest one. How do i get around this? Oh ye, im on iol broadband 512kb download/128kb upload.

Im downloading @ 10kbps and uploading at 15kbps...fair? I think not...im only about 3mb ahead of what ive uploaded so far...NOT FAIR!!!

Ehh... if everyone saw it your way, and everyone wanted to DL more than they uploaded, the entire bittorrent network would be useless and slow.
    I have Zone Alarm Pro. Newest one. How do i get around this?

OfflerCrocGod's post below tells you what ports to open, read the zonealarm FAQ (or get something easier to use, like NIS) on how to open ports in the firewall.

I dont get it. Im not behind a router. And my firewall doesnt interfere with the speeds. I take it off and i still get the same thing.

And i am not going to keep accepting my uploads being more than what im downloading. thats just gay.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭PcP

Originally posted by Ronaldo7
    Alright Lads,

I have Zone Alarm Pro. Newest one. How do i get around this? Oh ye, im on iol broadband 512kb download/128kb upload.
    Originally posted by PcP
    If your on a 512/128 connection try changing the settings from unlimited to dsl/cable slow, and drop the upload rate to 10kB/s. AFAIK if your upload is being maxed out by others then your requests for pieces will have trouble getting through resulting in slower downloading.

RTFT :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

Bit Torrent is slow cause people use hax'd clients and progs like netlimiter, try downloading from a 3dgamers torrent where said people arent about and tell me its slow.

And i am not going to keep accepting my uploads being more than what im downloading. thats just gay.

Who do you think you're downloading everything from? Big companies? Hacked servers?

Obviously, you are downloading from other people, other people like yourself (well, not exactly like yourself, because if everyone was like you this entire things wouldn't work at all).

What's gay about uploading more than you DL? IMHO, you should keep it at the lowest at a 1:1 ratio...
    Bit Torrent is slow cause people use hax'd clients and progs like netlimiter

How does netlimiter or hacked clients affect the network? In shadow's bittorrent client you can already set the UL speed, so what difference does netlimiter make? And what is there to hack in the client.. just the setting so you don't upload? In shadow's client, you can set the UL to 3K if you want to, so I see no reason to hack any client.

What I don't understand is WHY people don't want to upload. Everyone wants to download as fast as they can, but no-ones willing to share... as someone so elegantly put it, that's just gay.

Yes clients are hacked but there was a version that let you close off upload but that was stopped why ? to stop leechers.

I'm on a capped service. I download during the day and the download finishes I leave it to upload till I get home.

As was said already (a lot) this client would not exist without sharing. Neither would any P2P for that matter.

If you don't share who will ?

Ronaldo7 is pissed off because he is giving more than he is taking boo hoo ... go back to kazaa, compare with what you are getting with bittorrent, you'll find kazaa is shíte, full of borked apps, movies and tunes and crawling with **AA just itching to send a letter to your ISP ...

By the way, you always download faster the more you have already downloaded with bittorrent (well, with large files anyway) ... so, at the start its painful and you feel like you are getting nowhere (uploading much more than you have downloaded or download at 1kb/s), but leave it alone and come back in 5 hours (or more) and see how you are getting on....

Its all about patience grasshoppa

Its just annoying because im trying to download something i dont have ok? and it says download @ 5.07kbps and uploading @ 12kbps.

What im uploading, i have no idea. Im using the shadows program aswell. Ive even extended my port range to 8000 to try get a better dl rate but im getting nowhere.

Did you try reducing your upload rate a little (down to 8 - 10KB/s ) ...you might be saturating your upload path (as has been previously pointed out) ...give that a shot for a while

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

What im uploading, i have no idea.

you are uploading chunks of the file you have already downloaded.

Originally posted by BigEejit
    Did you try reducing your upload rate a little (down to 8 - 10KB/s ) ...you might be saturating your upload path (as has been previously pointed out) ...give that a shot for a while

How do i reduce my upload rate?

I dont even know how to get into bit torrent setting in bit torrent itself or the shadows program. The main option the shadows one gives me is "max peers" or port number.

• Advertisement

I use shad0w's client too.
    When it starts to download you'll notice downnear the bottom of the window it'll have a drop down menu allowing you to change the type of connection you have along with two sliders allowing you to change the speed and number of people you upload to.

Not rocket science imo.

Advertisement