Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

copying MY DVD colection......how?

Options
  • 04-12-2003 3:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭

Hi!!
    I bought a DVD(- and +)RW.
    Anybody Knows who i go about copying MY DVD colection?
    I have lots of dvd's and need to be able to have an extra set as i do alot of traveling and like watching dvd's?
    whch programs should i use?
    and on what medium?

thanks,
    Omar

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

www.afterdawn.com is your new friend

download this http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvd_shrink.cfm

use it to copy dvd to the drive

burn new disk with nero dvd then select dvd video

and by dragging and dropping the dvd files into video_ts in nero

burn enjoy

oh as for + and - one plays on like 90% of players and the other on like 85%, i use minus without a problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭jonhate

www.dvdrhelp.com
    >VERY HANDY

But more for what your looking http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdripping

The program tlachta gave you a link to is classic...if you have dvd-9 films (you probably have loads) its a must...Also very easy to use and very small :D

The above guide well tell you step by step what to do...

If you come by cheap dvd+/-r meida i'd be well interested ;)

HAVE FUN!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

yup DVDShrink is the bidness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭BigO

one last Q

i guess i can rip any region dvd disk cause my dvd reader is region free, but can i burn these ok on my R2 dvd writer?

plus once i go thru the whole rip and burn process, can I use that backup i burnt to make straight 1:1 dvd copies in nero? (say i lost the original, im serious ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭SteM

Originally posted by BigO
    one last Q

i guess i can rip any region dvd disk cause my dvd reader is region free, but can i burn these ok on my R2 dvd writer?

plus once i go thru the whole rip and burn process, can I use that backup i burnt to make straight 1:1 dvd copies in nero? (say i lost the original, im serious ;))

I don't it's possible to make 1:1 copies is it? Most retail DVDs seem come on Dual Layer discs which mean that there can be over 9 gigs of information on the DVD. Blank DVDs only hold 4.something gigs. That's why you use DVD Shrink in the process.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭BigO

sorry

i mean is after io do the shrink thing is it possible to use the shrinked DVD for doing 1:1?

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭muffen

dvdXcopy does 1 to 1 DVD copying. It's a pretty good app.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Ro-76

Try CloneDVD and AnyDVD. There's a guide on dvdrhelp.com. I don't actually have a DVD drive yet, so I have only produced image files to use as virtual DVDs with Daemon tools, but it works the same with a real DVD-R drive.

Basically AnyDVD removes the protection on-the-fly, so CloneDVD thinks it's copying an un-encrypted disc. It will also shrink the title to fit on a DVD-R, and will keep the menus if you want.

Ro

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

BigO: i mean is after io do the shrink thing is it possible to use the shrinked DVD for doing 1:1?

Yes. Keep in mind, if you want to copy from one DVD reader to a DVD writer, you should have them on seperate IDE cables, or else don't copy on the fly (take a good bit longer)..

Originally posted by Ro-76
    Try CloneDVD and AnyDVD. There's a guide on dvdrhelp.com. I don't actually have a DVD drive yet, so I have only produced image files to use as virtual DVDs with Daemon tools, but it works the same with a real DVD-R drive.

Basically AnyDVD removes the protection on-the-fly, so CloneDVD thinks it's copying an un-encrypted disc. It will also shrink the title to fit on a DVD-R, and will keep the menus if you want.

Ro

But does keeping the menus/extras not mean that the movie has to be compressed more meaning that you loose some quality? Don't think I fancy that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

You'd be hard-pushed to notice, TBH.. Certainly I find it difficult enough to notice on a 28" wide-screen..

It may be more obvious on larger screens..
    The latest version of DVDShrink (v3 beta 5) is very end-user frriendy..

You just point and click..

If however, the extras really aren't worth it, then you might as well cut them.
    As well as the foreign-language sound-tracks..

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Ro-76

Originally posted by SteM
    But does keeping the menus/extras not mean that the movie has to be compressed more meaning that you loose some quality? Don't think I fancy that.

I depends on how much you keep. Keeping the menus, but not the extras results in about a 1% change in the compression. Keeping all the extras will make a significant difference, depending on how much else there is.

I just think it's nice to have the menus on the backup dvd - makes it seem more like an original.

Ro

If there's little difference in quality then I may have to pick up a burner. The multi-format ones have come down an a lot it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 biffa001

I just think it's nice to have the menus on the backup dvd - makes it seem more like an original.

I use DVDShrink as it seemed to be the easiest to use. I can stick in a dvd, a few mouse clicks and then have me tea while it does it's thing.

This is what I usualy do when backing up a film.

Full Disc - I will uncheck the boxes against the options I don't want (subtitles, foreign language sound tracks, the un-needed AC3 or DTS track, I usually keep DTS,) and then compress the menu's as much as possible to save space. Then I will compress the extras as much as I can to give me space. I then select each compression option for the main film until the thing will fit on a disc. If I have gone past say compression level 5 or 6 and can't get more space by compression the extras more I will then choose the below option

Re-Author option.
    Just select the film on it's own (no menus or extras) trim unwanted subitltes and languages and shrink to fit. Even a long film like Pirates of caribbean can fit on one disc this way compressed only to Level 4 I think it was. Looks great on a 32" TV.

With a bit of fidling you can get most if not all films on 1 disc and still looking good. It's just with some long ones you need to decide if you can live without the menus and options. You can also ditch the DTS and keep AC3 sound if you want to save a lot of space too. There's also the option of trimming the main film to loose the credits or unwanted bits at the start of the film (sometimes trailers are included in the main film file) and this can just give you enough space to save you upping the compression level on the film.

Have fun...!

:rolleyes: :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

I use 321 Studios' DVD-X-Copy: http://www.321studios.com/

I've tried most of the programs out there, and this one is head and shoulders above the competition, and couldn't be simpler to use.

Just put in your DVD, select the parts of the movie you want, if it turns out to be bigger than 1 DVD-R, you can choose to compress it down to the size of one disc, or keep the original quality and store it on two DVD-R's. It keeps all the menus, subtitles, languages etc. And the compression will always use all of the available space on a DVD-R.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

I use AnyDVD, DVD2One (very small fast transcoder - usually takes around 15mins on amy 2700XP AMD 512Gb PC) and CopyToDVD with a Pioneer 105 and a DVD ROM. The advantage of using the above programs is that I can to DVD to DVD backups with a few mouse clicks. I find www.bigpockets.co.uk good value for DVDs and cases but their shipping is a bit expensive so better to bulk buy and/or order some stuff for your mates at the same time and split the shipping cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

I use AnyDVD, DVD2One and CopyToDVD with a Pioneer 105 and a DVD ROM. The advantage of using the above programs is that I can to DVD to DVD backups with a few mouse clicks. I find www.bigpockets.co.uk good value for DVDs and cases but their shipping is a bit expensive so better to bulk buy and/or order some stuff for your mates at the same time and split the shipping cost.

Advertisement