Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with windows XP Pro. Critical error that reboots PC

Options
  • 04-12-2003 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭

Yea, I am having a prob with the pc I am on now. It shuts down every so often and reboots its self. I get a error msg that comes up saying that so and so function has been shut down unexpectidly and the PC will need to reboot. and I dont have a chance to do anything. I get a 60 sec timer and it reboots for me.

==============
    NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM

remote procedure call (RPC) shut down unexpectidly.
    =================

If someone could help out it would be great cause it just keeps doing this. If its just a file that needs to be replaced or something.. dunno.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

I used to love getting calls from people who would say things like
    "so and so function has been shut down"
    the so and so is the most important bit ;)

Anyway, probably it's the RPC service which is failing which probably means you're infected with the blaster virus.
    update your AV and use windows update to patch the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Dara Robinson

so its the blaster?? ffs. I'll check that and get back to u. I only have so much time when i get online so I can only type so much, hence the "I will update this when msg comes up" messege i wrote.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

try this to prevent it shutting down while you download the patch from Microsoft.
    go to start, settings, control panel, Administrative tool and services.
    Scroll down to remote procedure call and double click it.
    Go to recovery and set each of 1st, 2nd, 3rd to Restart the service.
    If that doesn't work set them to take no action.
    That should (hopefully) prevent the system from shutting down the system while you get the patch

link to patch

thanks guys, working on it now. been busy all day with work... well SWG is work, no? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

There is an easier way to abort the shutdown sequence:

OPen a cmd prompt

type in shutdown -a

This will abort the shutdown wheil you are downloading patch 824146 from Windows Update.

Make aure to update your AV software immediatly....and get a Blaster removal tool to remove the virus.

• Advertisement

got it sortid lads, thanx. And I am confertably back playing SWG, thanx :)

Advertisement