Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cheap network attached storage

Options
  • 04-12-2003 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for some of the above, a nice cheap NAS solution that I can introduce into my network at home to take some of the strain off my almost full laptop hard drive. While browsing tigerdirect.com I came across the followingXimeta NetDisk 160GB. Not bad for around the $300 mark. As you can imagine, I don't want to go spending a few k's on some fancy pants NAS unit that has RAID this and triple redundant that or whatever. Neither do I want to have a PC with a few hard drives in it running 24/7.

If anyone knows where I could get something like this in Ireland, give me a shout. Otherwise I'll just end up getting it off tigerdirect or getting a friend to visit CompUSA. Thanks :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

hmmm good review. Ok so it seems calling the netdisk a NAS product is clearly wrong. Most of the problems that were pointed out in the review wouldnt cause me a problem, like the one user at a time write problem.

I'll keep looking but keep the netdisk in the back of my mind...

Thanks for the link bricks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭bazooka

Hi Rymus...

You should have a look at this:

http://www.lacie.com/uk/products/product.htm?id=10073

We have installed a few of these now and they are fantastic...simple, excellent internal backup and best of all CHEAP!

If you would like pricing...let me know..

Bazooka

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Go on then bazooka, put us out of our misery :) How much for the 80 & 160 GB models for a start?

The 80GB is €650 Inc VAT

and the 160GB is €920 Inc VAT...

but you can add external hard firewire hard disks until the cows come home to either models, giving you unlimited storage...

• Advertisement

uhh 920 quid? Thanks but no thanks

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Windows XP Embedded
    Shared between up to 10 users at the same time (Windows, Mac, Linux and Unix_)
    Expandable through FireWire and USB ports

There must be a Unix version - save you at least €100 on the M$ license and it would share to >> 10 persons. - How about a silent PC - or a long network cable so you can't hear it...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/003/snapserver/snapserver-1.html

a possible alternative.
    Would be nicer if there was a second 3.5"bay and the controller could take a slave device, plop in a 120gig drive for more space :)

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭zenith

We've been using the cheap-ass snap servers for a while now, and they work real good.

www.snapappliance.com

However, a mini-itx (fanless) might be a better job fer ya, quiet and all.

http://www.mini-itx.com/store/default.asp?c=15#p134

zenith...can i ask you where you are buying these snap servers in ireland?

• Advertisement

CMS Peripherals sell them. No prices though. Highly dubious

i will check pricing with CMS (i have an account) and let you all know what they cost...they look to be much more expensive than the lacie from what i can see around the internet...

Ark Enterprise. The 4000 is £291stg.

as i thought...the snap is extremely expensive...

Pricing is as follows: (trade pricing that is...)

1100 (80GB) €524 + VAT
    1100 (160GB) €760 + VAT
    2200 (320GB) €1370 + VAT

So they actually come in more expensive than the LACIE, and with the lacie you get windows xp embedded so it makes antivirus, and backup much easier...

Pricing is as follows: (trade pricing that is...)
    1100 (80GB) €524 + VAT
    1100 (160GB) €760 + VAT
    2200 (320GB) €1370 + VAT

So they actually come in more expensive than the LACIE

Look again :) Are they not the same price ...

Snap 1100 (80GB) = €649.76 (inc. VAT)
    Lacie 80GB = €650 (inc. VAT)

Snap 1100 (160GB) = €919.60 (inc. VAT)
    Lacie 160GB = €920 (inc. VAT)

Anyone care to spec out a bare bones system for the sake of a price comparison

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Originally posted by bazooka
    So they actually come in more expensive than the LACIE, and with the lacie you get windows xp embedded so it makes antivirus, and backup much easier...
    XP - means you may need to patch frequently ? and limits on number of connections ...

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I assembled a quote for a tiny-wee Mini-ITX server box. For €410 (including VAT and delivery) you get a Chyang Fun MiniCube case, Via Epia 5000 mobo (533MHz C3 - fanless), 128M PC133 RAM and a 120GB Seagate Barracuda. Half an hour putting it together and a wee whiley installing your favourite Linux distro, and you've got a nice wee server - all but silent, too.

Another €30-odd will get you a 160GB HD. For an extra fiver, you get an 800MHz processor, but it's fan-cooled so wouldn't be as quiet (still pretty quiet, tho).

http://mini-itx.com/store/

Magic. I'd rather do without the bells and whistles of TV-out and audio ports but it could double up as a HTPC.

Nice bit of work.

No client licencing issues with the snap: as many users as you like.

Other than that, I'd go for the mini-itx.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

No client licencing issues with Linux on the Mini-ITX either ;)

• Advertisement

i think im going to go down the mini-itx road. I bought more netgear kit the other day including a PS101 mini print server that failed to work. Now I cant return it :mad:

Mini-itx i could use as a file and print server.

On that note, if anyone wants to buy a Netgear PS101, pm me ;) It'll be going in the for sale board in the next couple of days.

Advertisement