Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overenthusiastic Eircom Reps

• 04-12-2003 2:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭

Called Eircom the other day to check my line for broadband. This time it passed.

2 days later called IOL they told me to get my Eircom customer number in order to sign up. Great, didn't get a bill in the new house yet, so called Eircom, who gave me my number, and then casually mentioned that I had already ordered broadband with them ! No I didn't. So onto their broadband dept. Sure enough, apparently I had ordered broadband a couple of days earlier !!!!!! The cheek. These guys are so desperate for their commissions they will literally try anything.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Sarn

The same thing happened to a friend of mine. They got a phonecall from Eircom telling them about broadband. Said it sounded interesting. Next thing a modem was sent out to them. Meanwhile they'd decided to check IOL as it was cheaper etc. only to be told that Eircom had essentially claimed their line for broadband. Got sorted in the end. Gobsh$tes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

And now one week after I cancelled, I have been sent the Eircom starter pack along with my connection details, modem etc......

Muppets. I am not sending them back this bulky package at my own expense either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If you don't say "Sign me up", and they sign you up, one of two things can happen - You'll decide to say 'feck it', I was gonna order it anyway, so now that it's done already, that's handy. Then Mr. Salesguy gets the commission that one of colleagues would have 'pilfered' had you rang in a second time to order.
    Or you'll decide you don't want it, cancel the order, send back the modem, and he gets no commission.
    Either way, he has nothing to lose by signing you up. Cancellations are not held against the reps.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

Originally posted by Quigs Snr
    And now one week after I cancelled, I have been sent the Eircom starter pack along with my connection details, modem etc......

Muppets. I am not sending them back this bulky package at my own expense either.

wanna send it to me at your expense? just tell them you never got it?

that way i get a nice ethernet modem? :)

Daniel

Thanks for your kind offer Daniel, but I must decline :)

Rang them earlier, they said that the cancellation had been processed (with a note that it had never been ordered), so there was no problem there.

The guy didn't know what to do about the fact that I had the modem, he said he'd take a note and someone would probably ring me to arrange retrieval. I'm glad he used that choice of word because there is no chance in hell I am sending it back. They can call round to collect their junk at a time convienient to me if they want it.

• Advertisement

And it gets worse.

As I feared. Despite ringing to cancel the order that never was and having them note that there never was an order on the account, and then doing it all again when they sent me the modem, I still do not have my broadband from IOL.

Called IOL, well it went to Eircom and the current IOL status is 'Not allowing to book appointment'. So basically Eircom are telling IOL to get lost, I'm their customer. Have called Eircom and been passed around the place. Final resting place (so far) was an 'expert' in the broadband department who desperatly tried to keep my business with warnings that I would not be able to keep my web address if I went with IOL ????? I saved him the trouble of embarrsing himself further by telling him I was a web developer and to save it for the morons. Nonetheless apparently the modem which they would call to make arrangements to have picked up, needs to be sent back to Dublin (freepost) before they will release my account.

Thanks for telling me guys. Seriously their incompetence is breathtaking, I doff my hat to them, I honestly thought that they couldn't get any worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Called IOL, well it went to Eircom and the current IOL status is 'Not allowing to book appointment'. So basically Eircom are telling IOL to get lost,

I was told by IOL that if you do a line check with Eircom they block all other DSL resellers for 2 weeks. However for me it took IOL 8 weeks to have me unblocked.

.....Nonetheless apparently the modem which they would call to make arrangements to have picked up, needs to be sent back to Dublin (freepost) before they will release my account.

Ring Comreg first thing Monday morning. Tell them Eircom are squating on your line and you are not able to get dsl because of this. Get on to Dermot Aherns office too.

I'd also email complaints@esat.com and say that you want them to push Eircom to unlock your line or you'll take your business elsewhere.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

needs to be sent back to Dublin (freepost) before they will release my account.

Thanks for telling me guys. Seriously their incompetence is breathtaking, I doff my hat to them, I honestly thought that they couldn't get any worse.

Freepost? No confirmation of shipping then, and none on arrival. Did you send it? Did they receive it? No one can tell....

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

That's just unbelievable... I've never heard of such dodgy dealing. That's really and truly awful.

I can see where the nickname Eircon comes from.

*sighs*

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

In a year when I move and I finally get my own 512K line (no longer shared with 6 people) if Eircom pull this **** with me I'll have a solicator onto them so quick it'll make there bloody heads spin.

I've had dealings with EirCON bollixing up my install/billing address last summer and it took them 4 months to sort it out, complete joke as they installed the line into my apartment when it was built, yet they did'ent know where it was.

I learned my lesson after that mess.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

4 months to sort it out

What!! You must have been going mental! I'd lose the head. I never knew this bullsh*t was going on. I'll know where i won't be taking my business when broadband arrives here (if ever), and where are they going with their terrible prices.

Is there actually any reason why you'd want to go for Eircom rather than Iol, or UTV Quicksilver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Originally posted by sci0x
    Is there actually any reason why you'd want to go for Eircom rather than Iol, or UTV Quicksilver.

there as bad as each other

its all about the ping

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Originally posted by sci0x

Only reason I'd go with eircom is because the provide the actual physical line, after that its a Esat Business package!
    :D

Advertisement