Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco - Irish products dissapearing

Options
  • 04-12-2003 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭

Is it my imagination or are there less Irish products on the shelves in Tescon than say a year or 2 ago.

Has anyone hard facts to support this? [or otherwise]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,370 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It's hard to say as too much of it has standard Tesco packaging.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I've no hard facts at all. As a rough guide to your own shopping, don't they still have those little symbols on the receipt for goods produced south and north of the border?

(of course "produced" might fall into the same pot as bananas being an Irish manufactured good for tax returns:D)

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭FinoBlad

I dont think I'm imagining it coz I regularly read the labels.
    Does any agency monitor this or research it?

Someone told me there was a report in the media a few months ago criticizing some of the supermarkets for their lack of Irish produce. Does anyone know where I can find this report?

Originally posted by sceptre
    I've no hard facts at all. As a rough guide to your own shopping, don't they still have those little symbols on the receipt for goods produced south and north of the border?
    Checking receipt ... yes, but it doesn't explain what the symbols are anymore. But Tesco sugar and Tesco eggs are Irish.

do people not care anymore about buying Irish?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by FinoBlad
    do people not care anymore about buying Irish?
    Not as much, people here prefer either (a) quality brands (b) value for money to point of origin. Call it snobbery.

I think people that remember when unemployment was a bigger problem are more inclined to buy Irish. Are there any buy Irish resources on the net?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I go for value for money nearly every time, go for quality sometimes, in both cases this nearly always rules out Irish products .... that coupled with the fact that there have been several threads (and a website of two) that point out that the same product that is expensive here is cheap in other countries (e.g. Boru vodka in South Africa costing €3.30 and costing €18 in Tesco in Ireland - as of Summer this year anyway ... see this post ) .... I just feel that a lot of the time I am getting gouged if I buy Irish :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

To a certain extent, I do agree that we should buy Irish. However, if they are of inferior quality or stupidly priced, there is not a hope I will buy them. I am sick and tired of paying over the odds for everything and in the majority of cases, it is Irish run/owned business and their products that are screwing us over.

There is constant criticism of Tesco for various different things. Yet when compared to the like of Superquinn and Dunnes, they are nearly always cheaper. The difference being they are not Irish I think.

Originally posted by BigEejit
    I go for value for money nearly every time, go for quality sometimes, in both cases this nearly always rules out Irish products
    Yes. Tesco custard creams nice, Tesco digestives taste like fish oil.
    Originally posted by BigEejit
    Boru vodka in South Africa costing €3.30 and costing €18 in Tesco in Ireland
    But how much is other vodka in SA? The tax and income positions are completely different. You can have a night out in SA (not that many do) for €5. Many salaries are a tenth of what they are here. Income taxes are higher and government services are either minimal (no health insurance? join the end of the queue around the block) or attract high charges (all motorways are tolled).

• Advertisement
Advertisement