Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A bit o' help, please

Options
  • 04-12-2003 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭

im getting a computer after chgristmas (house reject, its going back to college with moi in january).

basically, its ancient and id like to upgrade it as i want to play the folowing on it:

il2 sturmovik
    sim city (but which one, your thoughts please)
    combat flight simulator
    starcraft/warcraft (have the latter already, works fine)

methinks the pc has 6gb hard disk and 128 ram.

to what spec should i get an upgrade?
    how much will it cost?
    as ye can see im kinda into flight sims (esp combat) and strategy games.any other ideas about what i should get? are there any good deals in the shops atm?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Bit more information then that may be needed. Type of PC. CPU speed etc. Also whats your budget when it comes to upgrading?

this may get more [useful] replies in possibly Tech or HWTweak/Mod.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

thats a good point- more info is good.

i also note that youre mod of battlefield 1942.this intrigues me. what are the requirements for it?

speed, i seem to recall, is either 133/266mhz (im in college now, far, far away from home so i dont have all details to hand)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

Maybe you should consider Buying a new PC. Theres loads of good deals out there, you could probably pick up a 2.8Ghz, 80GB hard drive, 512 DDRam and a Geforce FX5600 256MB /w a 15in Flat screen moniter for around E1800-2000. And with that Spec you will be able to play any game and any games to come in the future. But as mentioned depends on the budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

You'll get one cheaper than that. I normally build me own, but my cousin got the following from PCWorld:

Advent, AMD Athlon XP 3000
    512MB DDR400 RAM
    120GB HD
    GF5 FX5600 256MB (even though the box said GF5 FX5200 on it !)
    DVD Burner (Pioneer A06, sweet)
    Normal DVD drive
    15" TFT Flat Panel
    Groovy case, keyboard etc.........
    Modem

etc................

For 1300

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

hmm , you could probly pick one up second hand for much less than 1000E that would easily play those games , its probably not worth your while upgrading though as you would need to buy new everythings except case :p pretty much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

fiddlesticks. i was rather hoping ye wouldnt be saying this like that.

Advertisement