Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

reading hotmail in netscape

Options
  • 04-12-2003 3:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

I'm just trying to access my hotmail using netscape, but need some help!!

Should i select POP or IMAP, and how would i find out the name of my incoming and outgoing servers??

Any help would be appreciated...
    cheers,
    dalh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Afraid Microsoft/Hotmail dont allow you to POP the mail from the servers. You will have to login to the hotmail site to retrieve them.

Alternativly, you can use Microsoft Outlook Express or Microsoft Outlook [one from Office] to get them, there should be an option in the Email Accounts menu. It will depend on the version though, i think its only from about Office 2000 or XP [2002 version] that it can be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 dalh

thanks for that. saved me a lot of useless messing around!!
    dalh

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Outlook Express version 5/6 and Microsoft Outlook 2003 can access Hotmail accounts.

For those who really want to read Hotmail in a normal e-mail program like Mozilla Mail (we won't use that nasty netscape stuff :) ), there's an article here on how to do it. It's not for newbies though: http://2mod2.com/mohot/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Ok firstly download this program here then get the latest firebird e-mail client and unzip it somewhere set up your Hotmail a/c just like they say on the Popper site and VOILA!. You now have spam filtered e-mail(bayesian filter in thunderbird its somewhere in there) straight from the Hotmail servers on an excelent e-mail client.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 dalh

Well, i've finally got around to trying this!!

I'm not using the Popper referred to in the above msg, cause i have to pay for it!!!

So im using the stuff talked about 2 msg's up i.e.

http://2mod2.com/mohot/

So everythings going grand until i reach step 9, part iii, part c!!! where it says to enter "localhost" as the incoming server.

Well, i do as it says and types in "localhost" but when i click next i get a msg saying i have to enter a valid host name.

So do i have to enter something in the outgoing server box?? or what am i doing wrong??
    I'm probably asking very stupid questions here, but i plead ignorance!!

cheers,
    dalh

• Advertisement
Advertisement