Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

spammed?

Options
  • 04-12-2003 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭

Hi i think i've just been spammed on my phone. anyone else get anything like this? i've never got anything like it before

U won 2 rtn flights to Paris worth eur400! Txt FRANCE to 57080. T&Cs apply. euro2X4. Stay with us and we'll pay 4 ur flights! Unsub! txt DELETE sp Temple Promo.

WTF?

presumably this is some money making this like you've won 1000 in this envelope ring high price phone number etc..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

This looks like something that is on the increase!
    I wonder what the regulations (if any) are for stopping companies access to your ph. number? I imagine this would work on the same basis as email spam. Companies get a list of ph nums and send some sort of group txt? Happened my dad recently!

It might be working checking with your provider if your number can be given out to anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

grand stuff thanking you i may look into that, it probably due to me giving out my mobile number to sites on the internet though for registration purposes and stuff as i'm doing a lot of the xmas shopping online this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

"mobile number to sites on the internet"

Thats it mate! These fúckers don't care about you at all! Remember that! Your just a number to them!

grand stuff i'll nip that habit in the bud then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭Faltermyer

Its all too prevalent these days unfortunately.

A lot of the time, these companies simple generate random numbers and send out texts.

That particular number though probably did not.
    Did you order a ringtone or icon from somewhere recently?

Try the unsubscribe/delete text, or call Regtel(Government Body for Premium rate telephone services) on 1850 741 741 - they will either be able to give you contact details for the company involved, or else be able to give you the number for the department that will.

It will depend on your Network Provider and choices you made when you joined them as to whether your number is available to Directory Enquiries.

• Advertisement

nah i don't order ringtones or icons or any of that stuff thanks for that regtel number i also have the mobile number of the phone i got the text from

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

the company that owns the number ' 57080 ' is called Opera Telecom Ltd. (source: ComReg) If they are operating according to the best industry practice the should have included something like "S.P. Opera Tel: (XX) XXXXXXX" in the text.

It is very dubious practice to send out bulk SMS for premium rate competitions and promotions. It is definitely something RegTEl are getting more complaints about and are going to tighten the rules about. It is particularly bad form to say that you have won a competition (did you enter) and will cost you €8 to reclaim your prize!! I wonder how many other "winners" there was!

It would be interesting to know whether the original SMS originated from a long code (ordinary mobile number) or a premium shortcode (any shortcode 53XXX or 57XXX). Certain operators were spamming users with premium rate competitions and to unsubscribe you had to ring another premium number!

The phone number i get the text from was 0866060876

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

My father and my brother both got the exact same text. Obviously they knew it was a scam. Luckily I've never got a spam text, touch wood... Once though I got what looked like a personal ad, ie "male 25 looking for female 15-25 Wexford area". Seriously weird but a once-off.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Got the exact same text during the week too [about the free trip] I have to say. Was quite annoyed as I got it during a lecture, thankfully I had my SE on silent :D

Is there anything against getting unsolicited texts like this?

• Advertisement

I would contact RegTel. You can get their details at www.regtel.ie They will ask you for the text of the message so don't delete it! Regtel is the Independent Regulator of the content and promotion of Premium Rate Telecommunications Services.

You could also complain to O2 (assuming that they have not ported the number) about the mis-use of their network for spamming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭Faltermyer

Originally posted by Faltermyer
    =call Regtel(Government Body for Premium rate telephone services) on 1850 741 741

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Got this on the Open list today.... useful link which tells you who is behind a SPAM text message:

http://www.comreg.ie/numbering/num_sms_search.asp

- Dave.

TmB - I must pull you up on your posting. The link you posted is not a directory of spammers as you suggest, rather it is a directory of who SMS short codes are allocated to. These short codes range from free text numbers to adult premium numbers and are used responsibly by a wide range of providers from charities to information and entertainment providers (ringtones, logos TV voting etc). It is irresponsible to suggest that this is a directory of "spammers". Furthermore, the spam did not originate from the short code quaoted in the text message but from a standard 086 long code.

Of course some service providers may use premium short codes in an irresponsible manner. Due to the expense of operating short codes it is quite common for a wide range of services to use the same short code with key words being used to distinguish each service. For example, a promoter may approach a service provider with a competition to be operated on their short code but the service provider may not be aware of how the competitition was being promoted.

A representation needs to be made to RegTel, Opera Telecom (to whom ComReg says the short code has been allocated to) and O2 to register a complaint and identify the promoter behind the project.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

erm... didn't read like he was suggesting it was a list of spammers

more that if someone got a SPAM SMS they could look up the list linked to and try to find out who was behind it

hope anyone who feels they were spammed by this message contacts RegTel, from the thread here and on Open a lot of people got it who didn't want it...

BrianG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

i got one on sunday
    "u won 2 flights to new york worth EUR1050!Keep or give 2 a friend! Txt USA to 57502. T&Cs apply. eur 2x4. SP: Mountwilson. Unsub? Txt DELETE OR CALL 017995618
    SENDER:353868090700"

Didnt reply obviously different to Dataisgod more expensive but the same really.
    gonk

• Registered Users Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭oneweb

03/12/03
    U won 2 rtn flights to Paris worth Eur 400! Txt FRANCE to 57080. T&Cs apply. euro2x4. Stay with us & we'll pay 4 ur flights! Unsub? txt DELETE sp Temple Promo
    As if I'm gonna waste €8 on a scam like this! (Why tf do they put the €8 as 2x4? Waaaaay dodge!

It is what it's.

The short code in the USA competition belongs to Puca Technologies. I'm surprised that these guys are involved in this type of thing as they are quite an innovative company.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

The short code in the USA competition belongs to Puca Technologies. I'm surprised that these guys are involved in this type of thing as they are quite an innovative company.

You mean i really did win:D where is my phone?:)
    gonk

Advertisement