Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 95 GUI won't start

Options
  • 04-12-2003 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

Hi there,
    A friend asked me to have a look at his PC, Compaq Presario 5520. He was getting the following error:
    Invalid system disk
    Replace the disk, then press any key
    I located a windows 95 startup disk and checked the c: drive which looked fine so I copied over the system files using "a:\sys c:"
    Now the machine boots but only to c:\ prompt. The windows 95 screen flashs briefly before returning to the c:\ prompt. Any way of fixing this without re-installing OS?
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

What happens if you type

win

at the c prompt?

(I'm not offering this as a solution, just an aid to diagnosis)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

You may need to edit the autoexec.bat file to tell it to load win.com.

Windows 95 was a long time ago, and I can't really remember much about Win 9x in general :-(

See if this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Hold it!! do you work for the Evil Empire Colm?, I mean Microsoft - sorry slip of the tounge, well do you?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

Yeah - I do...

I figured, I might as well help people since I'm in the development side of things in Microsoft...

No harm in free support!! :-)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

You'll need to check the msdos.sys file

in C:
    dir msdos.sys /as
    if it is 6 bytes long then it's one from a floppy and won't work - it has paths to windows etc .
    you can copy one from a windows 98 pc - it's just a text file.

attrib msdos.sys -r -a -s -h
    quickest way to copy it form a win98/5 PC is to
    xcopy msdos.sys a: /h
    xcopy amsdos.sys c: /h

if you press F8 on startup and then choose step x step you should see how far it gets now..

The splash screen is only a bmp image (in IO.sys) so you can have it displayed on a boot floppy. .. (the bar at the bottom is just a pallete changing loop - no processing is used..)

I take it you have already typed in WIN to get it working..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭theshadow

Cheers all. Actually I found the solution late last night on microsoft support site, it was the msdos.sys all right.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;149110&
    Thanks again.

Advertisement