Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

for hardcore tekken fans, some facts

Options
  • 04-12-2003 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭

Tekken, the first of the series was released on November 8, 1995 for $49.99 ($5 cheaper than Tekken 2 and the same price as Tekken 3) .

Tekken 2 was released on August 28, one year after Tekken (1996) for the price of $54.99. Tekken 2 is the most expensive Tekken game of the series.

The PlayStation version of Tekken 3 was released in Japan on March 26, 1998. Tekken 3 was released in the United States on April 29, 1998 for $49.99, ($6 cheaper than Tekken 2)

Tekken Tag Tournament was released for the same price as Tekken 2.

The character Bryan Fury was named after Brian "Fury" Schorr, the Localization Coordinator, Manual Developer and Q.A. Manager of Tekken 3.

The character Gon was not originally created in the Tekken series. He was originally in a comic book series in Japan before he was created as a spinning little dino in Tekken. He is only featured in Tekken 3.

Most of the Tekken characters have names that mean something in Japanese or Chinese (where ever the character is from). The names usually come in two parts; the prefix and the suffix, both of which have meanings. When you put the two together, you get a phrase. Here is an example submitted by Victar.

Nearly all Chinese names are made up of real words in the Chinese language, as far as I know. It's traditional.

"Lei" is his last names, and translates to "Thunder.""Wulong" is his first name. "Wu" roughly translates to "warrior" or "military." "long" translates to "dragon." So all told, an approximate translation of Lei Wulong's name is "Thunder Warrior Dragon."

Other names include:
    Mokujin; Man of a Wooden Block
    Tetsunjin; Iron Man
    Jun; excellence, genious
    Kunimitsu; Kuni=country; Warrior of the Country
    Yoshimitsu; Warrior with a cause.

The stages of Tekken take place in real places around the world.
    King George Island (Anna Williams) is located in Antartica. Anchor Wat (Kunimitsu) is located in Cambodia. Chicago (Lee Chaolan) is located in the United States.Akropolis (Kuma) is in Greece and Venezia is located in Italy.

The word "Zaibatsu" often referring to Heihachi Mishima's empire is, in fact, a real word. The "zaibatsu" were holding companies established in the nineteenth century to develop the Japanese economy. They were the combination of manufacturers and banks that assisted each other.

In the background of the Tekken 2 Introduction music and during Nina Williams' ending video, you can hear a female singer's voice saying "Winter night sky...Nothing can give you that sense of harmony". That is where the introduction music title comes from!

NAMCO re-used the character voices from Tekken 2 in Tekken Tag Tournament. Angel now has Nina Williams' old voice and Unknown has Anna Williams' old voice.

Jin Kazama and the character Unknown have the same tattoo on their arm. It took up to three weeks to re-create a character in Tekken Tag Tournament- that included enhancing graphics, adding new moves and programming. Tekken Tag and Tekken 4 were created with a computer graphics program called Maya.
    The Tekken Tag intro was changed in the US. Lee and Paul's scenes were switched around (it shows Lee in the streets and Paul driving).
    Tekken 3 was the first Tekken game to feature 3-D backgrounds.
    Tekken 4: The music in the statue stage is taken from Tekken 2.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Throw away your glorified button mashers (tekken series) and start playing Soul Calibre 1+2 or SF2.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

i have never heard of soul calibre, but i know soul calibur, and i don't like it! mainly because it includes fight with weapons which i don't like at all!

what is SF2?

i think tekken is still the best fighting game out there

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If you like fighting games without weapons then Virtua Fighter 4 is infinitely superior to the tekken series.

I hate the tekken series because it is so unbalanced. Most of the characters are useless and then there are far too many overly powerful characters that have >100% damage combos which is just ridiculous. VF4 is far more refined with characters that are all good if you know how to use them.

SF2 is of course street fighter 2 the daddy of fighting games and in my opinion yet to be bettered.
    i have never heard of soul calibre, but i know soul calibur,

Spot the spelling mistook on this page.

Tekken unbalanced? now that is funny man! Tekken is the balance every character is has strong and weak points, if you know how to use them the game is awesome!

i can't disagree with VF4 i don't know about it, but from the clips i saw fighters when knocked down are falling too slow! and it has many other things i don't like about it

but look they wouldn't play Tekken at the world championship level if it was unbalanced, although i have to say there are cheap characters in it i.e. Heihachi, Hwoarang

Well i'm not going to change your mind about tekken but you should pick up VF4 especially since it's very cheap second hand in gamestop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

Tekken is quite a balanced game, probably the most balanced fighter out there which would tie in with the fact its got championships worldwide and is practically a religion in korea.
    Never liked virtua fighter, its cheap, its always been cheap, it'll be cheap forever.
    As for SC, the first one was fun....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

I never really saw why people made such a big deal of the tekken games and had the cheek ignored tobal no.1, it was such an amazing game, it was proper 3d, had a great cast, an adventure mode, and it wasn't afraid of having an ugly female character........only in a perfect world would people realise what fighting games owe to this masterpiece.....but no-they play tekken

Thanks for reminding me about tobal no. 1

Fantastic game.

yeah! everyone forgot Tobal! truly amazing game, great grappling system too, Tekken copied lots of tobal's stuff

gonna try VF4!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

quick facts for u cyberghost

-VF first proper 3d fighting game made by AM2 of Sega.

-The first 3d fighter to use 3d backgrounds was Last Bronx by AM2 (or 3)

-The first 3d fighter to use armour was Fighting Vipers again by AM2 (or3, i really should recheck?)

-VF3 was the first 3d fighter to have uneven terrain again by AM2

Blitz comments:

I like Tekken and i like Virtua Fighter but Virtua Fighter is alot more "formal" (rite word?) in the case that button mashing never works unless u put it on extreme easy and lowest hp for comp. It moves slower but is more about how u fight. (gotta think ahead) Admittably though i have not played VF4 only VF1-3 so i'm not the best person to ask. On Tekken though i've played 2-4 and i like it, its great fun and becoems more fun with the more moves u learn.

By Bugs
    Never liked virtua fighter, its cheap, its always been cheap, it'll be cheap forever.

Uhmm i think i've just proven that VF is not cheap in fact its the oldest and most well crafted 3d fighting series out there.

U can spot this with all of orginals cause of the "Virtua" in their names

Virtua Racing -first 3d racing game (By AM1)
    Virtua Cop -first 3d on rails shooter (By Am2) much older then time crisis
    and so on.

Th AM 1-4 departments are a well crafted and experianced group and calling anything they make cheap deserves a slap.

Other games by the AM departments: Daytona USA 1-2 Sega Rally 1-2 House of the Dead 1-3 Virtual On 1-2 (classic)

i think they sega bass fishing too...

anyway the end

• Advertisement

thanks blitz!

but still, i think Namco achieved more, i prefer tekken's engine for me is much better, but that's just my own opinion, and everyone has different, i don't say virtua fighter is bad, it's just i don't like it, and there are many reasons for it

1 VF -.when you hit someone with a knockdown strike, they kind of fly into the air a little, and they have a feel of paper or something light, you can't feel the mass of the fighter, and they take too much time(it's only seconds-milliseconds but it's a fighting game, every millisecond counts ) to fall

2. Tekken's striking system is sweet! when you hit someone you can really feel it, tekken has many ways to knock your opponent down, to stun your opponent, when you hit someone and they fly off, their trajectory is correct, can't say that about VF, maybe the trajectory is right but, you can't feel that hit!

as for graphics, in 3D VF is superior to Tekken, But! the character detalization is better in Tekken!

now to characters - Tekken has the most beautiful characters that any game has ever had, Jin, Bryan even Orge(not true ogre) they are awesome!

Tekken's response times - better
    Tekken's grappling system - better
    Tekken's control system - better

maybe AM2 invented 3D fighting, but 3D is far from being the most important part of the fighting game, Namco beat everyone with their engine

I never really played any of the VF games to any degree, they always rubbed me up the wrong way. The gravity of jumps, the speed the game ran.

Despite all that, the reason i think its cheap is that i've watched movies and ppl who are from very good to stupidly good and most of the fights boil down to basic strategies which are god awful to even watch. Worse still is watching games in the arcade, where the better players get hockey'd by morons who come in and mash the buttons, which i've never seen happen in a game of tekken between a good player and a dummy.

Just never really liked VF, i play practically any other beat em up, just not that and not dead or alive which is like a vf rip off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

Originally posted by CyberGhost

i think Namco achieved more
    Through marketing, not through making a better game

Tekken's response times - better
    play smash bro's-now THATS response time

Tekken's grappling system - better
    Tekken's control system - better
    The grappling system-and indeed the control scheme of tekken ruined fighting games, there are too many 1 or 2 button combos that simply do too much, tekken turned fighting fans into pussies, although namco redeemed with the perfect control system for soul calibur

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

1 VF -.when you hit someone with a knockdown strike, they kind of fly into the air a little, and they have a feel of paper or something light, you can't feel the mass of the fighter, and they take too much time(it's only seconds-milliseconds but it's a fighting game, every millisecond counts ) to fall

Play as law and you will see how badly wrong this is, you can keep them in the air for about 12-13 hits if you get it right.

And the long moves make you think before you use them, and some of the moves in VF fighter make even the 10hit throw combo's by king (all of which I can do, because their easy a p*ss), if you can perform the Stun Palm of Doom by Akira, regularly in a fight, you deserve a medal, if you can reliably get the somersault kick counter to work, you deserve a medal, infact any counters in VF1 are nigh on impossable, but the damage they do can really turn a fight.

VF series relies more on actually knowing the game, and less on just general button mashing, anyone can pick up Tekken, and if they have a backround of 3D fighting games, do pretty well on their first go, try that with VF.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

tekken3 because i seriously fookin pwned back in the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Wolf

Originally posted by Retr0gamer
    Throw away your glorified button mashers (tekken series) and start playing Soul Calibre 1+2 or SF2.

Yet again he has it wrong :p In soul Calibare I can beat most people by general guess work while Tekken takes at least a few months to master.

Also get real I remeber playin VF 1 in the arcade loads and I loved it...... cause it was so dam easy. Its ture that if you play someone poor at Tekken you might beat them but try playin someone decent they will mash the random button presser everytime.

the beauty of the tekken is that you can just get it and start playing without problems and make nice moves but! there are loads and loads of more which you have to master in order to be a good gamer, and try setting tekken on hard and give it to the button masher i'm pretty sure he won't be able to finish it, tekken looks easy but there are loads of secrets and tactics in it, that's the whole beauty of the game, it's as easy for the beginner as hard for the advanced player

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Tekken, Virtua Fighter and Soul Calibur are rarely played properly by your average gamer. For them Namco games are the obvious choice. They're just much more appealing for a button mash.

But for the people who play them versus with friends on a regular basis and actually attempt to learn them things are different. Playing Tekken at a casual standard and playing it at the pro standard is a massive jump because the series is so reliant on memorisation. Learning to defend the massive combos for every character is just the start. There's no underlying system for how the moves connect so you have to learn all the priorities off.

Virtua Fighter isn't a very appealing series to begin with but one that alot of people learn to love when they stick with it. The emphasis isn't on insane combo's. It's about making the right decisions and timing them correctly. The floaty jump, the thow counters and the dodging are all part of a very simple and highly balanced system. Something thats consistant so you can learn as you go along.

I think Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution is an immensly satisfying game in the long term. The problem is you need two proper arcade sticks (the game really isn't designed for a pad) and those don't come cheap as they're aren't any proper ones for sale in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Another fact not many people know...i have the same tattoo as Jin Kazama :D

Each game has its good points and bad, I.E VF4 can be intimidating with its techyness at times, but is hugely rewarding when you severely trounce someone with reversals, counters etc.
    Tekken can be a bit easy, and sometimes you might get killed by a button mashing n00b, but its easy to pik up and play, and it makes you look really good at fighting games *L*
    I love both of em, cant pick a favourite

Originally posted by Pugsley

And the long moves make you think before you use them, and some of the moves in VF fighter make even the 10hit throw combo's by king (all of which I can do, because their easy a p*ss)

If you are using combination throws or ten strings in tekken, you aren't playing the game properly, all are escapable, most of the time with practically no effort whatsoever. The ten strings leave you with no option to deviate from what you're doing and if you're playing someone with a brain they'll just counter it.

• Advertisement

got to agree with that, 10 hit strings are never used on pro level

maybe when you juggle your opponent then you can use some part of it

Advertisement