Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Meteor Down Again (Again)?

• 04-12-2003 9:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭

Anyone else having trouble with Meteor tonight?

I can't make calls, send texts or *#100# for the last half an hour or so.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 820 ✭✭✭qBot

Nope, i'm in limerick and my connection is fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭Faltermyer

Yes, Im told there are problems.

Its varying from complete loss of access to the network(i.e. no signal), to SMS failing to send and calls producing the "High-Low-High" tone. They know about it since approx 7:40pm and are working on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭taby

I am seriously considering throwin my phone out the window at this point.

:-(

I love Meteor free txts to other meteor customers cos i save on a lot of money txting my boyfriend but the network goin loopy every so often is driving me up wall.

Can more people join meteor plz so they can improve their network?

:-)

I hope its resolved soon...

yes i kno i'm addicted :-p

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

The problem is the amount of people they have. They claim to have the greatest amount of excess call capacity of any network. However, since FMNP was introduced, they have had three outages. They have added something like 55,000 customer in the past 9 months supposedly. With all these people availing of free sms, i bet ya its the SMSC thats buckling under the pressure. That always seems to be the first component to go down before an outage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

went down at 9pm over this way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

This is a complete joke that the network has gone down for the 4th time in 2 months.

As always Meteor choose not to mention the outage on their website or choose to communicate with their customers in any way about the outage (waiting 45 minutes on the phone with no answer is not good enough).

It is a pitty that Meteor can't get both pricing and customer service right at the same time.

This is a case for their director of communications (call 01-40307000 and ask to be connected), Comreg and the media.

I am well pissed
    :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 wiggum

As I said in the last time the network went down this is exactly why I left this sorry excuse for a network.

The network is covered in holes inside "covered areas", still has crap rural coverage and keeps going down.

My brother got on to Meteor after a half an hour on the phone. He asked to speak to someone senior and the Meteor rep said, "you can but there is no guarantee that they will listen". Just about sumes up Meteors attitude towards their customer.

Fungus, Go phone their DOC ... If I was still a customer I would be giving them hell. As someone who has travelled across the world I have never used network as bad as Meteor.

Related Threads inside the last 2 months:
    Outage 1:
    Network down for 2-3 days
    Outage 2: Overnight
    Outage 3: Down for most of the weekend

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    The problem is the amount of people they have.

With all these people availing of free sms, i bet ya its the SMSC thats buckling under the pressure. That always seems to be the first component to go down before an outage.
    It is not a capacity issue with their SMSC.

Originally posted by Fungus
    This is a case for their director of communications (call 01-40307000 and ask to be connected), Comreg and the media.
    Thats 4307000.
    But you will not get put through to the DOC.

Your better off lodging a complaint with Comreg, much more constructive use of your time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭radiospan

Now I actually have no reception at all here at home.

This is the first time this has happened, including during the previous outages. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭APM

Same here in North Dublin, gone down completly and has been down for over an hour now, same for friends in the city center.

The last time there was an outage got a very snotty customer service rep in the meteor shop on Henry street so I wouldn't even bother complaining this time.

One word pretty much sums them up.

USELESS

Originally posted by wiggum
    He asked to speak to someone senior and the Meteor rep said, "you can but there is no guarantee that they will listen". Just about sumes up Meteors attitude towards their customer.
    IMHO, any employee who comes out with such a statement should be fired, despite how frustrating it is for a Customer Care Rep during this sort of issue.

Originally posted by Faltermyer
    That’s 4307000.
    But you will not get put through to the DOC.

Your better off lodging a complaint with Comreg, much more constructive use of your time.

Thanks for correct Meteor HQ number. I think speaking internally can help. Does anyone have a name of someone very senior that is likely to speak to a customer?

I am off next week so I am going to I am going to get together a registered letter to Comreg.
    very snotty customer service rep in the meteor shop on Henry street so I wouldn't even bother complaining this time

That store is full of snotty reps that just tell you to call 1905 "cause it is not their problem".

The Network is STILL down and CC has just told me that they have no idea when it will be fixed. This beggars belief. Can you imagine if o2 or Vodafone did this ... it would be all over the papers the next day. Meteor just get away their sh*t service ...I urge every one that has been a Meteor customer through this to warn everyone never ever to go near this company .

Originally posted by Fungus
    I am off next week so I am going to I am going to get together a registered letter to Comreg.
    That is the best use of your time if you wish to see things change.

Trying to get to speak to someone senior in the company in order to initiate change, is simply as waste of time as companies do not work that way.

Think about it - if an average customer rang whatever company you work for, would they get put through to the MD or CEO do you think?

I doubt it, and even less likely if its a largish company like Meteor.

Comreg is the place to direct your energy.

Though while your at it, it may also be worth mentioning to them the constant inordinate amount of downtime with Vodafone and O2's Number Porting(Moving) Systems which has and is delaying so many people from moving network and thus defeating the whole purpose of Full Mobile Number Portability which was to encourage competition.

Though before anyone says it, it is not being done to stop people leaving - because each Network gets fined by the government when its Porting systems are down, the more downtime, the larger the fine!

Originally posted by Faltermyer
    It is not a capacity issue with their SMSC.

Twas simply a guess. I was making the point that for each outage, SMS has been the first service to go down. The reason I though it may have been a capacity issue at first was that I was in the City Centre and couldnt make a call..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭radiospan

Meteor service came back for me at about 8 or 9am this morning.

I started to get messages that people sent last night at about 4 this morning...

Anyone else feel like writing a letter into one of the newspapers and complaining about this? If enough people did it than meteor would have to fix problems bcause otherwise theyw ould lose business.

Hit them where it hurts *evil smile*

I am guessing but I honestly think the problems are being caused by the swelling of customer numbers over the past 6 months or so. You will no doubt remember back in the day of Digifone and Eircell on Christmas day. The networks basically folded due to the amount of people being added to the networks. This does not happen anymore as they have had plenty of time to fix such issues. I think the same is happeing with Meteor. One of their recent outages were attributed to upgrade work so this back my guess up..

Finally back working propery ...

Meteor are not getting away this .. We should all phone 1905 and ask for compensation for these 4 outages.

• Advertisement

Hmmm isn't there like a goverment department that deals with services and how bad they ie ombudsman ( or person ;-) ) shudn't they be contacted cos Meteor agree to provide a service and how often do they not provide this service?

I dunno....If it happens again i'm gonna go do sumthin but i'm giving them one last chance * shakes fist at Meteor* u hear that?! :-p

If it happens again i'm considering switching service to O2 or sumthin.

I do like the free txts tho :-(

Originally posted by taby
    Hmmm isn't there like a goverment department that deals with services and how bad they ie ombudsman ( or person ;-) ) shudn't they be contacted cos Meteor agree to provide a service and how often do they not provide this service?
    Exactly!

Its called COMREG! They provide the Network Licenses and regulate the industry.

They are the people to contact if you want to see something done, not ringing 1905 and eating the head off some Rep, then maybe getting to speak to a supervisor a while later and possibly(though unlikely) getting €10 or €20 free credit which at the end of the day is no good to you if the service keeps breaking down and will not do anything to improve things!

And I say again, this is not a capacity issue on Meteors systems.

As it happens, I am told that the problem last night was not even directly their fault, but actually that of another company upon whose systems a lot of Meteor's systems rely.

Advertisement