Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving without insurance

Options
  • 04-12-2003 10:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Have agreed to drive a friends car to drop them to the bus. I only have a provisional licence and wont be insured on the car. Am I crazy, how much trouble could i get into

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Korg

More risk than it's worth. If you do have an accident & put someone in a wheelchair or something the hassle they have trying to get any money to cover hospital costs after being hit by an uninsured driver. There's rarely any excuse for driving without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Doing the unaccompanied provisional licence thing (while it's still wrong) is one thing but driving without insurance is very risky and very illegal and very wrong. Get stopped for any reason at all (and the cops are doing quite a few spot checks on tax discs and licences this time of year) and you'll have 5 points (AFAIR) on your licence before you can say oops. Hit someone and you're screwed.

If you drive without insurance you're very very stupid. It's also part of the reason why insurance costs in this country are so high - people thinking "ah sure and it won't matter just the once"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Unstable

you immature ignorant prick. If you hit me, I'd knock the f*cking head off you.... I hope you get caught and punished. I pay over 4 grand for insurance because of people like you

• Registered Users Posts: 65,355 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by Unstable
    you immature ignorant prick. If you hit me, I'd knock the f*cking head off you.... I hope you get caught and punished. I pay over 4 grand for insurance because of people like you

Now, now there is no need for that. Eimeard is smart enough to check here first before actually doing it
    Originally posted by Korg
    More risk than it's worth. If you do have an accident & put someone in a wheelchair or something the hassle they have trying to get any money to cover hospital costs after being hit by an uninsured driver. There's rarely any excuse for driving without it.

Oh no, it is way worse than that. Sure those people would have to wait for the money. Thing is that their settlement will have to be paid by you, Eimeard. You will be sued (either by the victims or by the insurance fund that pays out in no-insurance cases) and you will be paying towards this until the day you die...

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Wavey

Have to agree with the rest. It generally a bad idea. Unless we're talking less than a mile. But the financial risks are fcukin huge. People have lost houses doing it.(If you crash)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭ColinM

Originally posted by eimeard
    Have agreed to drive a friends car to drop them to the bus. I only have a provisional licence and wont be insured on the car. Am I crazy, how much trouble could i get into
    To the bus??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Richieh

I'd suggest your friends get a taxi. It's not worth it. The fact that you're on a prov. licence would suggest to me that you may not be a very experienced driver and therefore potentially more likely to involved in an accident. That aside, if you get caught, it'll be a long time before you can drive anyone anywhere again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

with the amount of cops out and about at the moment I'd seriously advise against it, speaking of which I got nabbed last night.. my insurance was out by a week.. have to drop down the details to the station tomorrow or monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by Kali
    speaking of which I got nabbed last night.. my insurance was out by a week..

5 points ???

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by Kali
    with the amount of cops out and about at the moment I'd seriously advise against it, speaking of which I got nabbed last night.. my insurance was out by a week.. have to drop down the details to the station tomorrow or monday.
    You have 10 days of grace thanks to Mary Harney...no?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭an_taoiseach

Congrats eimeard,

Your first postie and its a wind up

Do you know about :

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?forumid=22 ?

Thats the place for a joke

Provos caught doing that sort of solo run get to stay provos

An T

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

dont do it mate - not worth it..

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Originally posted by Wavey
    Unless we're talking less than a mile.
    WTF :confused:
    does driving close to home lessen the chance of an accident?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Become a named driver! :rolleyes:
    Originally posted by kbannon
    does driving close to home lessen the chance of an accident?
    No it increases it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

thats a myth

Most accidents happen close to home.

That doesnt mean there is a higher risk of accident per mile driven close to home. It means that most people do most of their driving close to home, hence most of the accidents follow that pattern also.

I would guess that the accident rate per mile driven close to home would be less than the accident rate per mile on unfamiliar roads (for obvious reasons) however i would be unable to back this up with statistics as i don't know the distribution of driver miles compared with the distribution of accidents - would need general insurance actuaries with access to raw data (inlcuding e.g. Traksure records) to prove for sure.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I don't care where they happen - I am surprised at Wavey who thought you would be fine driving close to home without insurance. You are not fine driving anywhere without insurance (and this includes off road)!

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭logistic

Was in kindof the same situation as you before and take it from me its not worth taking the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭DukeDredd

Dunno if this law is in yet but the Cops are to get new powers that will allow them to seize your car and impound it if they find you are driving with no insurance. With any luck they won't give it back to the arsewipes that were driving the cars.

Advertisement