Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salt on eveything?

• 04-12-2003 10:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭

was having an argument with a fellow boards user.

she said that salt makes anything taste good [if you like salt that is].
    the only quick thing that i could argue this was that it would never taste nice on chocolate, but then she pointed out that chocolate minstriles with salted popcorn is quite the tasty snack.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Chocolate is massively underseasoned when using it in cooking. According to Jamie Oliver anyways. I reckon salt on most things can be good but not on ice cream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Tell her to put salt on creamed rice pudding or apple pie

And chocolate minstrels tasting nice with salted popcorn doesn't count. It's like saying that salt goes with wine just because you put it on your dinner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

Salt and chocolate do work.

The Fat Duck in London is one of the best restaraunts in the UK. They are renowned for some of the most creative dishes possible.

One item they do which is fantastic is Sevruga Caviar covered in white chocolate. As you all no doubt know Sevruga caviar is one of the saltiest items edible by man.

They also do a fantastic smoket bacon ice cream....I know it sounds terrible, but it really works...

But I don't dig this attitude of throwing salt on everything, in fact I think nothing shows as little respect for food as adding salt before even tasting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Have to agree with Melody, salt on everything without even tasting it first is a bit silly.
    why not just eat the salt on it's own!?
    Plus, it's bad for your heart which is why I'm trying to cut down on it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Personally I *never* add salt. I use it in cooking, sure, couldn't cook without it, but would never add it at the table.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

Being an Atkins convert/failure/convert/failure etc, I've tried to make my own ice cream (using the wonderful Splenda) but it goes rock hard. Someone suggested using some salt so that it wouldn't freeze like a rock. Is that true ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

i use salt on pretty much everything even without tasting it most of the time. i wouldn't use it on sweet things though like, jam, chocolate biscuits, cakes etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

Originally posted by Mumha
    Being an Atkins convert/failure/convert/failure etc, I've tried to make my own ice cream (using the wonderful Splenda) but it goes rock hard. Someone suggested using some salt so that it wouldn't freeze like a rock. Is that true ?
    The ice cream goes hard cause there's either not enough air bubbles in it or it's freezing too slowly and the air bubble escapes. Salt will probably help as it should make the thing freeze at a higher temp and so it'll freeze quicker. Worth a try I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

Will give it a try thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

Salt will probably help as it should make the thing freeze at a higher temp and so it'll freeze quicker. Worth a try I guess

emmmmm, no.

Salt makes things freeze at a lower temp.
    Thats why they use it on the roads to stop them freeze/ de-ice them.

I have no idea how it will affect icecream making, though commercial icecream does contain salt.

It's also a powerful oxidizing agent in aqueous solution so really f's up the underside if your car.

tribble

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

tbh, you'd be hard pushed to find anything with no salt in it at all, including lots of sweets and cakes.

btw, does anyone find it scary that salt is made up of two toxic elements?

sodium = lethal
    chlorine = lethal
    sodium chloride = salt (tasty)

always makes me think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭ColinM

Originally posted by vibe666
    btw, does anyone find it scary that salt is made up of two toxic elements?

sodium = lethal
    chlorine = lethal
    sodium chloride = salt (tasty)

always makes me think.
    Do you also get worried that water is made from two highly flammable elements?
    Take two parts of one combustible gas, one of another, and you're bound to end up with something that's sure to set your throat on fire!

(Strictly speaking though, oxygen supports combustion but does not itself combust)

PS Jimeatsmenu - tell your "friend" (heh heh heh) that salt is great for rubbing into wounds, and is great for refreshing your eyes in the morning. That'll learn her. Hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

Originally posted by tribble
    emmmmm, no.

Salt makes things freeze at a lower temp.
    Thats why they use it on the roads to stop them freeze/ de-ice them.

I have no idea how it will affect icecream making, though commercial icecream does contain salt.

It's also a powerful oxidizing agent in aqueous solution so really f's up the underside if your car.

tribble
    ooops, you're right. Always thought that's why you could freeze a string to an ice cube ;) But the ice cream thing does work according to this site http://www.tomsvariety.com/ice_cream_freezers.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

About 3 years ago I went for a checkup and it was found my blood pressure had risen slightly to a level that being
    diabetic was considered "borderline" bad. I was advised to cut down so from that moment I stopped using table salt on meals (I had been using low-salt at this time anyway).

I thought I was going to miss it.

I did'nt for a second which suprised me to say the least
    (when young I liked rather alot of it). Since then I have lamented the amount of salt thats routinely added to processed food.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

salt adds flavour to most things but i wouldnt be putting the stuff on my cornflakes!!!

Advertisement