Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

quakeworld..the death of all fps

Options
  • 10-12-1999 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭

i have to say that sfter reading another post about how brilliant quakeworld is, i think most ppl who are big into it and play it all the time are very unfortunate

i mean is it THAT good?
    the game is a couple a years old at this stage.
    it doesnt look all that good, even in gl mode.
    yis only seem to play the same boring levels, of which there are about 1 (dm3) over and over and over again.
    you compare all other games to it which is really a shame.
    can you not just open your mind and accept new games and ideas instead of saying 'well, quake he rockets are better' or 'iprefere the shaft in quake' etc etc etc.

this is not a post from the 'UT camp'. i dont really get to play much of anything these dys due to real life, but i have bought UT and its very good.
    its different to q2 in so many ways and i think its better. q2 will also be my first love, but i cant see my self switching on my pc to ply it in the near (or distant) future.

so, i mean, whats it all about?
    is there any chance you can get of the quakeworld buzz?
    its been the longest high i have ever seen and ive had my fair share.
    that doesnt mean you have to change for changes sake. then again, you shoul be able to open your mind to new ideas.

ive heard all the debates about q1 v q2 and now q3 v ut.
    all a bit boring.
    but when ppl still bring up quake against a completely new generation of games i think its a bit sad
    its like saying defender is better than r-type.
    this isnt a rant, nor am i putting the game down
    i think it is the most important game in net history. i just dont think its the best and i dont see what the point if still payng it. its dead. the wake is over.
    time to get on with life

oh, and i still enjoy a game of ca, so none of yer what would you know type posts
    just about time we had a bit of decent quake based discussion on the QUAKE boards

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

I think an important point here is that a lot of the big (and big-money, for that matter) tournaments are still played in Quake1... Although some are switching to Quake3 recently.

We live in hope that tournaments (international matches, duel compos with big prizes, whatever) will come around to the idea of running more recent games - and a more diverse selection of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

i still play qw when i get the chance. i still play alot of q2, and will do for quite awhile. i play some tfc. i've played and will play ut & q3a. why?

qw/quake1 = i like the speed of the thing and the stupidly powerful RL, it was the first fps game i ever played online, but i didn't play it that much as it was mostly on winquake ctf which was only playable over the net at around 3am in the morning smile.gif

quake2 = the first game i played alot of online, due to playing some online q1 before it, i was what i'd term a decent q2 player, as for alot of them, q2 was their first online fps game. i played more of it, i got better, i discovered the joy of the railgun, of teamplay in DM. the clan i run is counted as one of the better clans in the uk, we have "a rep", as i recently read on a wireplay messageboard posted from someone in a clan we never played, advising we were placed in Div1 of their league if we joined. getting to this point with a clan in a particular game, and restarting from scratch, is a sizable decision which some of our clan would be very resistant to. i can't see anytime in the next 12months when i wouldn't fancy jumping on a q2 server and pulling out a railgun. having said this, hopefully we can move on as a clan in a month or 2 cause i know i want a new challenge. i can fully understand the qw player who moans the loss of their beloved RL and keep going back for more.

UT - I didn't find a weapon in it that really did anything for me. I'm looking forward to trying the sniper rifle etc that was missing from the demo. My one gripe about UT is the number of diff weapons & fire modes. Not sure what way this'll pan out in the months ahead.

Q3a - I love the RL in it, it feels nice, sounds right and you will hit shag all with it unless you aim properly, spamming with it rarely works. However, no new weapons? I can't understand this, we should have had 1 or 2 new ones rather than a rehash of a number of oldies. However my gut feeling is that it will do better in the long run than UT.
    -

These are all different games, and I like them and play them for different reasons. but you can't stay in the same game, playing the same players, on the same levels for ever. variety is the spice of life, and its also much more fun smile.gif

Does anyone else find it amusing that some QW players, confronted with the same sort of posts that were made by them over and over for the past couple of years at people who played Q2, Tribes or whatever, now lose the head completely like Mickah just did?

Funny, that.

Hypocrites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

no

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

There's a patch out for milk v3 but it still hasn't got the feel of excitement that the original milk had.
    UT - couldn't sympathize with the characters. I think they were bots.
    Q3 - Bad acting all round and the story just dragged on.
    QW - The plotline about yer man getting shot and us not knowing who did it was a great idea but it's cast are looking a bit tired these days.

M

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Von

There won't be any more big QW lan events cept maybe in Germany cos it has a huge player base or unless someone pays Mirage's new zealand team to come over here, heh. But nowadays if anyone, who've been playing loses, like SK did to Zetor in the Villains league, they just say "well we didn't practice cos we've been playing q3" or "we hardly play QW anymore". Same thing at Rapture from some players. So there's no point playing them.

Blokey is one of the best Q2 players in England but lately he's been playing a bit more QW to get used to speed and shafting which is required in Q3. Q3 is dominated by QWers so far for that reason.

As for the RL being stupidly powerful in QW, it's not. Shaft rules.

[This message has been edited by Von (edited 10-12-1999).]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

Q3 is dominated by QWers so far for that reason.

its good to know that the mightly qw players can dominate in a game that, btw, isn't even out yet smile.gif

yes, thats the power of qw players.

"so far" ie. Frag3, CPL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭H_K

yah what vorosha said.
    Chess is played on the same board and has been for many hundreds of years, but players dont wanna go puttin multi colours and fully rendered video on it, nor do they slag fancy ass ludo players.
    i dont slag other fps games but id play it if i liked it, and btw your argument seems identical to a QWer sayin 'i dont wanna play UT', ur sayin 'cmon ye MUSt play it'

I say just chill :/

and like von, the rl isnt silly, its a crap weapon if youre a crap player

pat

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Mickah

Shinji u're a twat.I never posted ****e like that.

Eric shoulda beat the f*ck outta you.

Mick

• Advertisement

Shinji where are these "big money" QW tournaments?

HK, after 3 years playing, shaft is better than RL, easy, unless you are STILL rubbish. Hakeem won frag3 cos he just went about shafting americans who thought like you that RL rules. Yessssss.

[This message has been edited by Von (edited 10-12-1999).]

Mick, take a fuking chill pill. I never said you in particular did, I'm pointing out that there are a pile of QWers who spent years hurling abuse at anyone who played any other game, and now that people are finally getting sick of them mastubating all over their tired old brown game in public, they can't take the heat in reverse.

I'm not even gonna comment on your second remark, other than to tell you to grow the fuk up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

I still pull my wire every night and plan to do so for many happy years to come....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 fugazilazarus

quakeworld was good at the time , but is ****e now , as you are all aware of . but T.F. is still a classic to play online .

however if you really want high octane gameplay and frighteningly realistic graphics , puzzle bobble is the ONLY way to go .
    and i totally agree with what everyone else said coz yiz'd whip my **** in q2 .

i'll get me coat. smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭DeV

I just cant wait till Kasparov grows up and starts playing 3D chess.. I mean, who da fuk plays 2d games anymore...

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Koopa

eamo you have only played quakeworld clan arena on DM3(probably on modem) and then you are comparing it to quake2 duels (or DEATHMATCH) , obviously there is a lot more prediction and skill displayed in duels than in a big mosh where you just keep fire pressed

quake2 is the same, i played quake2 free for all on modem and i hated it, but then i played lan duels in quake2 and i thought it was cool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Koopa

oh yes, a lot of quake players played (for ages) using d_mipcap at maximum and a small viewsize to improve their performance at the game, i dont think they care what a game looks like so long as it plays well

its the same reason as why almost everyone in QW uses "v_kicktime 0" and turns off "cl_bob" , and bobup, and all that stuff... its even the same reason that they use FOV.. people in general are competitive as ****, they just dont like to admit it.. the people who play the game for just pretty pictures are the ones who never get any good at it because thats not what they like about the game

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Koopa(Sarah) is dead right.

Jimmy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 WORDBeeech

Does the QW,Q3,UT,Q2,etc argument matter anymore?
    Neither of the above mentioned and argued games are going to last much longer.
    Since the videocard battle seems to occuring every 2-3 months now , that means programmers now will try to exploit the full potential of these cards thus newer games especially in the first person perspective shooter and racing genre will appear.
    UT and Quake 3 were always destined to simply exploit the current range of voodoo3s and TNT2s but thats all. Theyre just for showcase as is the case with most games these days.
    With Voodoo 4 and 5 cards only a few months away as well as no doubt many other more powerful cards, SuperGlQuake clones will appear and at some stage someone is going to get the balance right. At the mo all the above games CANT be THAT good if there is a split opinion on their quality.

[This message has been edited by WORDBeeech (edited 10-12-1999).]

But defender IS better then R-type...

Fair point all the same. I like to think I have moved on from QW (Although I still play it, just not at the same level) Q3 does the job for me these days (although I have nothing against UT, if thats your bag)

I reckon over the next few months we will see a rebirth in FPS games as leauges for Q3 start coming on-line (I'm looking at you Jedi)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Too right Defender is better than R-Type!! Defender is arguably the greatest videogame ever written, along with Robotron, and I'm talking about design and gameplay in an era (1980/81) when Space Invaders clones were being churned out all over the place.

All hail Eugene Jarvis!!! (designer of the aforementioned games). I met him in Stephens Green about three years ago, I was only about the fourth person that had ever recognised him in the street, apparently smile.gif

As for QW, well said Eamo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Vorosha

It isn't a fair point. It's incredibly hypocritical. If QW is better than Q2,Q3,UT in some peoples opinion than that's that. They can express this opinion. It isn't 'sad' or 'unfortunate'. The same way you can say that Q3 is better than QW or even that you think it's 'time to move on'.

As far as I can see, like Shinji pointed out, QW is still the most competitive game out there and competing is fun especially on an international level.

I like milk, if they bring out milk v.2 and it tastes like **** I'm not going to drink it. Everyone else might drink it but it'd taste disgusting to me. Then they bring out milk v.3, I put it in a glass and drink it, guess what? It tastes like a mixture of **** and ****. I'll stick to my original milk. Maybe drink it with some cookies (QW+CA(whatever)). Nobody should force me to drink disgusting milk nor should they look down on me for being disgusted by it.

Believe you me, if someone actually brings out an amazingly entertaining game which is actually better than QW, no argument. They'll move on. I don't see any of these QW-Clones being too far ahead or behind the original. Why should they move on?

[This message has been edited by Vorosha (edited 10-12-1999).]

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Mickah

Jesus christ lads, get over it already.

SOME PPL LIKE PLAYING Q2, Q3, or UT

SOME PPL STILL WANT TO PLAY QW

repeat that to yerself 100 times,
    and for f*ck sake shut up about it

Mick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

mmmmmmmm milk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭FurY

Nahm that aint true, just cause theres a graphic card war on every 3 months dont mean that uber games are gonna be written. Only reason i'd be buyin 1 of these cards is to get better fps in q3 or qw. Look at the amount of fps games that were released after qw. When quake was released, we were all still using s/w. Then came along the TNTs, Voodoos etc. yet only a couple of these "superglquake clones" made it. Namely Q2 and possibly Tribes and tfc, nowhere near the extent of qw r q2 tho. Yeah, i know games like Kingpin and halflife made lotta money, but they have shallow multiplayer experiences. Unlike qw r q2 and now q3 and ut(god knows y?? smile.gif) which have that multiplayer experience that makes u come baq for more. Hence i've been playin qw since i had a p60. Bout 3 years now. And i can c my self playin more qw again along with q3.
    F
    As for qwR's dominating the q3 scene, it has to be said its true. Hakeem, Sujoy, Clan 9, SK all are making the headlines. Try railing r rl'ing some1 with a lg in ur face.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

I think the video card and the games development industry have different product cycle times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

SICKBOY-
    on that sarah/koopa thing.
    I dueled sarah a week or 2 ago and had a bit of a floor wiping session (no offence S)
    Do u really think koopa disguised would let me beat him?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭SickBoy

I think most if not all the people on these boards know that Koopa isn't Sarah. I only said it to stir up some muck. I don't mean any harm and I certinly don't mean to offend anyone ALRIGHT Sarah!!!

I love you Koopa smile.gif

Jimmy...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

My cats breath smells of dog food

• Advertisement

Maybe your just crap Paladin

[This message has been edited by El_Presidente (edited 11-12-1999).]

Advertisement