Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dive accidents 2003

• 05-12-2003 12:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭

This year I remember hearing about several dive incidents particularly during the summer months. Does anybody know where I can find out about the circumstances irish dive incidents?

I think this info should be published, 'learn from the mistakes of others' type of thing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭Mick L

The only agencies/organisations I can think of that may have the information would be the coast guard or RNLI. DAN might have info on divers with bends or suspected bends but I don't know if they would share that information.

You might try CFT as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

The 2003 Incidents report prepared by BSAC Diving Incident and Safety Officer Brian Cumming showed a decline in the number of incidents being reported. 392 incidents were reported in 2003, compared with 432 in 2000 and 458 in 2001. The largest source of incident reporting is from BSAC membership, which accounted for over half of the reports; the other sources were the Coastguard, the RNLI, and newspaper reports. Inland sites such as Stoney Cove also submit reports of any incidents to BSAC for analysis.

In common with 2002, the largest category was decompression incidents which accounted for 122 of the reports, and involved 132 divers. The role of dehydration in DCI incidents was highlighted.

The BSAC report discounts the possibility that fewer of the incidents taking place are being reported, preferring to put the drop down to fewer dives having taken place and, possibly, an improvement in diver safety.

Disturbed by the claim that UK diving may be in decline, Divernet contacted a number of diving centres around the country to ask whether they thought that 2003 was better or worse than previous years in terms of the numbers of dives taking place.

Lastly, we contacted PADI, the training organisation responsible for qualifying the largest number of divers in the UK. Are numbers for 2003 down on 2002? "No," said PADI UK's Deborah Sutton, "numbers are on an upward trend year by year. We certainly haven't detected any drop."

So the only drop taking place appears to be in the membership of traditional, single agency dive clubs. This appears to have led to a situation where most UK divers are now unaware of the incident reporting procedure.

An incident is any diving accident - from tripping over on the boat and twisting your ankle, to losing your weightbelt underwater or running out of gas and having to use your buddy's octopus. Most diving incidents are safely dealt with by the divers involved, without recourse to the emergency services. Sharing information about these experiences is extremely valuable because the analysis of diving incidents provides important lessons for diver safety, giving a snapshot of the kinds of difficulties that divers today are encountering.

You don't have to be a BSAC member to report an incident. Incidents are reported with complete anonymity, nobody will judge you, and the information submitted will not be used for any other purpose.

The above article appeared on divernet - http://www.divernet.com/news/stories/incidents031203.shtml .

If you bothered to read it , and the offenders know who i'm talking about ;), then you'd have spotted "The largest source of incident reporting is from BSAC membership".....just another way of saying BSAC divers are crap divers, IMO ;).

Also dehydration is a bit player in diving incidents so no more boozing the night before a dive session. I have to say i've streched this rule once or twice but 2 beers is my absolute maximum the night before a dive.

Now you may flame me.

If anyone can spot the line with the complete bull**** then post it up and you win a prize.*

*ALL PRIZES WILL BE HONOURED¹.

¹Prizes are ipods

Originally posted by Peace
    2 beers is my absolute maximum the night before a dive.
    Bull***t reading is off the scale right here

Also, if you wanted to find out about BRITISH incidents then yeah , sure ask BSAC. Don't know how many Irish clubs are affiliated with BSAC or would report incidents to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭ka

Hi!

I would try ringing the chambers in Galway, and Craigavon and perhaps the naval one in Cork they may be able to give you stats - expecially as they treat most Irish cases - and also offer local hospitals advice when a suspected case is brought in.

HTH

Ka:-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Peace.

I want my prize.

• Advertisement

*ALL PRIZES WILL BE HONOURED¹.
    ;)

¹Prizes are ipods

;)

Ahem....

If no prizes are forthcoming I think a banning should be dished out.

Such abuse of power i have never seen.:eek:

Dave you dragging yourself out of bogger land to attend the xmas beers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

Thanks for your feedback

• Advertisement

Such abuse of power i have never seen.:eek:

Dave you dragging yourself out of bogger land to attend the xmas beers?

Boggerland? BOGGERLAND? You mean Galway? LoL

TBH very doubtful I'll be up in Dublin. However if any of you are gracing your presence in Galway.....

Also whats the point in having the power if you can't abuse it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

So wheres our fecken ipods then?

Originally posted by Evil Phil
    So wheres our fecken ipods then?

Well mick was the winner - he got there first. So the IPod's in the mail mick.

So the IPod's in the mail mick.

The bull***t reading is once again too high to get an accurate reading, does this mean I get 2 Ipods?

Phil, Dave, keep up the good work :cool:

Originally posted by Mick L
    The bull***t reading is once again too high to get an accurate reading, does this mean I get 2 Ipods?

Phil, Dave, keep up the good work :cool:

Mick let us know if he doesn't pay up. This thread constites a legal binding contract so we will contact our boards solicitor to ensure payment is recieved.

Thanks,
    The management.

Advertisement