Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What video card do ye plan to get next?

Options
  • 09-12-1999 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭

ATM I have a 32meg TNT2u (CL 3D Blaster) I'm thinking about getting a GeForce 256 card preferably with DDR memory. I hear good things about the new offering from ATI "Rage Max"(or something like that) Are 3Dfx near to the VooDoo5(Nepham)? will it be as good/better than whats available now? Anyone got/know of someone who has a Matrox G400?

I'll probally make up my own mind regardless of what I read here but I'd like to know what the rest of ye are thinking of getting.

Jimmy...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Bunny

What?? are you serious?? anyone with half a brain is getting the XJG 5000 AKAIK9G dont tell me you havent heard of it yet??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

with new improved SFRAM!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

And go-fast stripes and speed holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Thanks for that info Shinji. I need a card though as my second system only has a Riva 128 so I think I'll get the GeForce DDR bad boy.

Jimmy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 fugazilazarus

de matrox G400 is the one for me . you may all disagree *more than likely* but ja$us it's fekkin' lovely .

And go fast stripes are for cars like the Ford XRZ Tiny Peni$ and the like.

My personal opinion anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

imho, if you have a TNT2u 32Mb, I wouldn't worry about upgrading your graphics for a while yet.... A GeForce would be nice, but pricey. The new 3DFX range won't see the light of day for a good while. And as to the others.... I'd give them a good 2 months after hitting the streets, to assess what the story is with drivers. NVIDIA and 3DFX are the only people who have shown themselves to be capable of producting consistently good driver sets... I was well impressed with NVIDIA recently when we put Quake3 on a machine here in the office with a Riva128 card on it, and it ran first time... and in acceptable resolution and speed!

Spend all that extra dosh on a nice new SBLive and surround speakers instead smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Fugaxilaourus is right, the trouble I had getting the tipex off my voodoo3.. I tell ya!

[Insert cool quote here]
    Play GLminesweeper!
    http://www.iol.ie/~adamj/dl/mineswp.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Steven

C'mon man, u can't be serious. The clear choice is the 3D annihalator from creative labs. It's the 1st 4th generation card (erm, follow that?)out so far. U have 2 get it man, it rocks with a PIII and is really good with a PII aswell.Excellent framerates in QW, Q2, Q3a demo, UT and HL. OK, back to my ATI 2D card smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Steven (edited 18-12-1999).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Old Ser

w8 till u can afford new voodoo

if u have tnt2u, no point spending money on the geforce, the difference isnt worth it....

w8 for voodoo

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Sonic

sb if u want image quality go for the g400, fps go for the geforce ddr , the voodoo5 will cost too much, if u have a tnt2 id wait for the a higher clocked geforce

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 WORDBeeech

The V4 or V5 would want to better than their current offerings.
    Have you seen the 3dfx message board for tech support ?
    That voodoo3 has tons of problems, I should know, I have one and its performance REEEKS sad.gif
    Hopefully nvdia will have a new one out by june to compete with v5(june releasei think)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

my v3 is perfectly fine thank you
    it runs everything i want it to
    and i dont really mind if i dont get 5millions frames per second coz imnot that sad

Advertisement