Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup Draw

• 05-12-2003 2:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭

What time does the shindig kick off at anyway ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭radiospan

Aertel says half-four. I don't know if it's on anywhere. I'd say Sky Sports News might have it.

Eurosport are showing Mexico v Ireland live at the same time (ko 4.30pm).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i'd say Sky Sports News and Eurosport News will be the places to see it, 5 live for the radio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭DEG viper

The excitement is building up in me already

imagine if ireland had to play there away games in england and then drew in england in there group

would they then be facin two away games to england.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Well Landsdowne has being approved by FIFA for the qualifiers so that won't happen.

But I'd love to draw england and kick their ass, but I think there the same seed as us so that can't happen either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Strangely, its possible for a single group containing all of England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland to be drawn. That would be fantastic, yet highly unlikely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭radiospan

Because English clubs play more games than most other European clubs, England are guaranteed to be drawn in one of the six team groups (there will be three seven team groups), to ease fixture congestion.

(Despite that Ireland probably have more players playing in England than England do)

BTW, the draw will be "live" on fifaworldcup.com, too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

Originally posted by irish1
    Well Landsdowne has being approved by FIFA for the qualifiers so that won't happen.

But I'd love to draw england and kick their ass, but I think there the same seed as us so that can't happen either

England are in Pool A, Ireland are in Pool B

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

The Draw is at 4...........I think!!

Originally posted by James Melody
    England are in Pool A, Ireland are in Pool B

Excellent, lets hope we get them so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

i hope we draw england too so we can beat them from one end of the pitch to the other and win 1 nil

Originally posted by woosaysdan
    i hope we draw england too so we can beat them from one end of the pitch to the other and win 1 nil

1 nil, nah 4 or 5 would be more like it

Originally posted by NekkidBibleMan
    Strangely, its possible for a single group containing all of England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland to be drawn. That would be fantastic, yet highly unlikely.

4000/1 are the odds

Originally posted by plazz2000

BTW, the draw will be "live" on fifaworldcup.com, too.

any idea whereabouts on the site, I can't seem to see it anywhere??

1 nil, nah 4 or 5 would be more like it
    when have ireland scored 4 or 5 goals?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

any idea whereabouts on the site, I can't seem to see it anywhere??
    Here

and then press the big Green GO button!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Originally posted by woosaysdan
    when have ireland scored 4 or 5 goals?

I seem to recall 5 against Turkey way back in the early 90s, a score line I happened to predict the morning of said match. Very proud of my guess work I was...:D

So far we have Switzerland, Israel, Cyprus and Faroe Islands. One team to come from Pool A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Delboy79

France
    Ireland
    Swiss
    Israel
    Cyprus
    Faroes Is

Not a bad result - get revenge on the swiss

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Was hoping we'd get that group... until France came along. If they had done the top seeds in order we'd have gotten England :o

We'll beat Switzerland to 2nd place this time. Not looking forward to seeing Henry run at Gary Breen though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Second place is a realistic aim, no reason why we can't take maximum points off the four teams below us.

England, Wales and Northern Ireland in the same group. Pity Ireland weren't in there, eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Engerland get the Welsh and N. Ireland

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

yea not too bad top 2 go through

so we have to make the swiss games count. we could sneak a result or two against the french too(2 draws and id be happy)

was looking at the draw live and wanted to avoid group2 at all cost and hoping england would get it ah well hopefully wales will give them a game expect NI to roll over of course!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

not to bad theirs no way in hell we can lose to anyone but france and swiss

Seeing as the players couldn't bother their holes to fight for a win against Switzerland when we desperately needed it, the chances of us getting a result against the French is non-exsistent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

That looks an awful tough draw to me. We know about the Swiss and both Isreal and Cyprus are well capable of drawing with us at home.

The Faroes are the worst of the minnows to get they'll probably hold at least one of us or the Swiss at home. Knowing our cutting edge it'll be us.

Though at least it's not Group Two, that one looks likea dinger. England's group is looking interesting too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by jank
    yea not too bad top 2 go through
    the teams that come second have to play a playoff between each other so we should be playing to win the group.

I can't see France losing dropping any points against the minnows but Switzerland might and we will need them to. I can't see us getting 6 points off the Swizz.

I am delighted we didn't get group bloody 2:

Turkey - woudn't fancy playing over in Turkey again.
    Denmark - won their Euro Qualifying group
    Greece - won their group which contained Spain
    Ukraine - Shevshenko -v- Breen. Says it all.;)
    Georgia - They would be looking for revenge
    Albania - Deserved to beat us in Albania
    Kazakhstan - Wouldn't want to go to bloody their home matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

When is the next euro draw?

Have a bad feeling about our world cup chances. France would be a safe bet to go through leaving 1 place for the others teams and on recent performances I wouldn,t be optimistic of finishing ahead of the Swiss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

I bet we will find it hard to beat the little tems then beat the Swiss and get hoped by the French

Originally posted by kif
    Not looking forward to seeing Henry run at Gary Breen though.

i cringe at the thought of it :eek: :eek:

Eh have faith lads......more than likely said this when we got holland and co last time.Dont worry about it where playing for second place france is irrelavent we can beat the swiss if our team plays for a win ! the other 3 shouldnt really be a massive problum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

Ah sure, we'll stick John O'Shea on Henry. Cunningham, Finnan and Carr will clean up whatever else the French forwards have - Given will have no work to do. A centre-midfield trio of Liam Miller, Andy Reid and Graham Kavanagh (giving Zidane a good boot up the arse) will pass the French off the pitch. Willo Flood will dazzle down the right and Duff will take the piss out of the ageing Vincent Candela. Up front Robbie Keane won't have to do anything but tap the ball into the net.

Cobie Kuhn's lads are in for some beating. The Chapuisat-less Swiss will be pummeled to bits and they'll be throwing water bottles onto the pitch in frustration after Robbie Keane does his war dance. Once we're far enough ahead, Gary Breen will come off the bench to finish his work on the Swiss goalkeeper.

Yes, I'm looking forward to this.

Er i said have faith i didnt say go get high then reply to this post :D:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Ichiro

I feel we have a chance a good chance.
    By the time comes around we may have some young blood ( praying )

And the team know they need results

So i think we should look at the group positivly

And F*UK Up the Swiss for real this time

Beating France is not impossible - Senegal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

what me need is for some1 to either kill hakin yakin or just have him kidnapped for all of the qualifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

<sob sob sob sob sob>

:(

I am scared!

<decides to remain optimistic>

Maybe a second place......

But only if we can do the Swiss!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

not gonna be ease is it? but as discussed in another thread france migt force the issue on croker...

we've no right to assume we'll beat the swiss, after the euro qual.

But I disagree with lawrenson who said this morning that we had no players coming through the ranks...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

Yeah, Lawrenson was talking sh*te. There are more players coming through now than there have been in ages. Liam Miller, John O'Shea, Steven Reid, Andy Reid, John Thompson, Willo Flood and Stephen Elliott all have the potential to play regular internationals.

Back in 95-98 when the youth system was recovering from years of Charlton mismanagement was when he had nothing. We were relying on Cascarino and Quinn up front with an aged Ray Houghton attempting to run the midfield and Ian Harte playing centre back. I prefer the way things are now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

I can't stand Mark Lawrenson, the guy hasn't a bluddy clue about football. I don't know how he ever got a job as a pundit. I have also more than once heard him refer to England as 'we' and 'us'. Ever since I heard him say that I've never liked the man. So listen up Mark, go back to supporting the England team. You know nothing about Irish football and we don't want to hear your uneducated views on us.

• Advertisement

I was just about to ask what do we do about getting tickets for the matches but I forgot there is still no decision on the stadium.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭lili

well, you might go through, but be care about swissland, they are hard to beat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

I reckon we'll beat the Swiss once at least and get a draw away in Switzerland. As for the French I think that when we are the underdogs we play better. I fancy a 1-1 draw at home in that game and then to get trounced 3-0 away :)

well, frankly, in the stade de france, i doubt we can be beatten. not with the actual french squad, they impress me match after match.
    if santini choose giuly to play along with zidane, with henry and trézéguet ahead, it will be hard to stop them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Sherlock

Is it just me who finds it strange that the same commentators who lashed McCarthy for going into the World cup not believing we could win the competition are now saying we're playing for second place in this group.
    Matt Cooper wrote an article recently having a go at both our rugby world cup team and last years soccer team for not having the belief they can win World cups but in last weeks Last Word he was agreeing that the group was a fight for second place between ourselves and the swiss.In other words we should accept second place in just or our group but if we qualify we should expect to win the World cup?:confused:

Originally posted by lili
    well, frankly, in the stade de france, i doubt we can be beatten. not with the actual french squad, they impress me match after match.
    if santini choose giuly to play along with zidane, with henry and trézéguet ahead, it will be hard to stop them.
    i was goin to say 9 man defence and keane on the half way line but ireland barely have 5 anyway good defenders never mind 9!!!:)

haha;)
    you know what?
    i hope you will qualief, because i like irish people:)
    and you shown good play in the last wc at the opposite of us.

odds for group 4 with paddy powers at 9-2 not a bad bet

i like the one of faroe island, 5000 - 1:eek:

i wonder are these odds for the team to go through or to top the group? if they are the odds to go through scotland in group 5 at 18-1 would be a great bet

• Advertisement
Advertisement