Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need your advice-Pc ugrade

• 05-12-2003 3:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭

hey,
    my brother has decided he wants a pc upgrade for christmas so i've looked at what i think is decent but i just need your advice to make sure i'm doin it right.
    We've a gateway 2000 athlon 600mhz, 128ram, tnt2 etc...
    I've looked at these for an upgrade,

Asus A7N8X-X mainboard for Socket A
    - nForce2 400/MCP,ATX,ATA133,USB2.0,LAN

Sapphire Radeon 9600 Atlantis PRO 128MB
    - AGP, ATI 9600PRO, VIVO, DVI-I, Retail

TwinMOS PC3200 DDR-DIMM 512MB CL2.5
    - Memory184-P (for DDR-PC400MHz)

AMD Athlon XP2800+ 2.083 GHz 333 MHz bus
    - Socket A (Barton) processor OEM

GlacialTech CPU-Fan Socket A Temp ctrl
    - RetaiI Diamond 2100 GOLD for XP3200+

Chieftec PSU ATX 360W (P-4)
    - Power Supply for P4/AMD CPUs w/PFC

I'm just need to know that these will work fine and that i don't need any extra bits?i don't know much about fans but i'm assuming that glacial tech will be grand and it has everything i need to install it etc.
    One other thing, would 2 sticks of 256 ram be better considering the board supports only single channel

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Check the case you're brother has. Gateway and Dell use non standard power supplies, motherboards and cases which dont work with anything else! He may need to buy a new atx case.

Ram should be fine there is sod all/ if any difference in using 1 or 2 sticks.

Get at least 2 chasis fans, you will be looking for 80mm fans with a low noise rating as possible: 25 db or less is pos.

Consider spending 40 euro extra on the mother board and get:
    ASUS A7N8X Deluxe Gold:

offers SATA, Raid, dual channel ram slots, dual lan, fire wire and better on board sound(uses nvida storm 5.1 dolby chip the A7N8x-x uses an onboard Realtek ALC650 audio which aint as good and will take up cpu cycles)

40 euro is worth all that def and future proofing never hurt anyone.

The komplett claims the deluxe has a max 333mhz bus but if you go to the ASUS site they claim anything above biso ver 1.6 will go to 400. The board is ment to ship at bios ver 2.0( the a7vx-x claims 400mhz max as standard)

If he has the money get a new hard drive 120/160 gig is cheap theses days and there is no point in scrimping on space!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭davidclayton

i'd also recommend the aero 7 lite.
    cheap.
    efficient.
    quiet.
    looks cool.

dave

Advertisement