Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Svchost.exe and Zonealarm

Options
  • 05-12-2003 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭

Hi,

I read the other posts about svchost.exe. Quite interesting. Now, I have up-to-date Virus Protection etc and things are fine with my XP computer.

However, Just a quick query.. I run Zonealarm Firewall, and all the programs I want to access the net when I am on DSL are configured to run properly with Zonealarm.

However, I keep getting messages now and again from Zonealarm, asking me if I would like Svchost.exe to access the internet...

Now is it ok if I let Svchost access the net like all my other web based programs?

I know Svchost.exe is Svchost.exe is a generic host process name for services that run from dynamic-link libraries (DLLs).

Should I or shouldn't I allow it access to the net? I would really like to get an opinion on this as I think I might be disallowing some important file access the net..

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

A better approach would be to configure net access by ports...so only open the ports in your firewall that your net enabled apps are going to use.

So, these ports may include 80, 21, 19, 443 etc for the various protocols.

This will give you much more granular control of the firewall, and even better, you'll know exactly what ports you have open.

That's the way I've got mine setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Jokah

Ok,

I like that Idea a lot ColmOT. Can I modify access through ports in Zonealarm? or is there some other way.

I would prefer ports. Zonealarm I trust but this sounds much better....

Any ideas? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

I'm not sure about ZoneAlarm, but I found their manual

http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/media/pdf/za_client_User_Manual.pdf

The built in FireWall in Windows XP allows 'per port' opening and is very effective.

Check this article out for more info:
    http://www.microsoft.com/WINDOWSXP/expertzone/columns/bowman/november12.asp

Hope this helps.

Champion Dude,

I look foward to mulling over it when I get home tonight from work....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

XPThink dont use WinXPs built-in firewall it's not a very good one ( especially considering it comes from MS;) ) if Zone Alarm will not let you open ports then get Kerio they have a personal firewall which should do the job.

• Advertisement

Ok guys,

I'll try both of them now and see which I prefer.

Thanks for you help..

Advertisement