Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas Line C1 to Point Depot

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Does this mean the line is open or is it just a taste teaser?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Nope, take a look at it.

Just means that they are showing the plans for the extension to the Point Depot with the stupid turnaround at Connolly.

Thats next Thurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Opps, didn't see that link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭an_taoiseach

Turntable at the end of the line ?

That will make someone in the RPA happy

Wouldnt it be easier just to buy them the biggest Hornby set there ever was ?

All the dosh saved could be spent on buses ( so adaptable, so flexible ) and a few bio diesel plants

Would also give some of the farmers something to do.

How many (motor)Cycle accidents should we expect to be attributed to the Luas tramlines ?

An T

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by an_taoiseach
    How many (motor)Cycle accidents should we expect to be attributed to the Luas tramlines ?
    Relatively few. First, the trams will be large vehicles on a predictable path, not a constant stream of vehicles. Second motorcycles (and everyone else) aren't meant to use tramways except at specific crossing / access points. One area of risk for motorcycles is slipping on the tracks, especially in icy conditions, however this is perfectly avoidable.

• Advertisement

As you say this is Line C1 not Line C (thread title fixed).

Speaking to Frank Allen (chief of RPA) a few weeks ago, they have progressed the design to a point where they have basic bridge (canal) and engineering designs done. I doubt there will be a turntable - the loop is merely indicative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭an_taoiseach

"One area of rick for motorcycles is slipping on the tracks, especially in icy conditions, however this is perfectly avoidable."!

Thats more what I was thinking in terms of so far as cycle accidents are concerned ( rather than trams being run into ).

I hope that you are right that they are perfectly avoidable.

It was not the case when there were trams in town before. - Far From It -

The issue is one of wheels getting 'caught' in the tramline. There is no need for it to be icy for this to be a problem. Anyone on top of just two thin wheels that approachs a rail at an oblique angle is at risk. I would suspect that the rails at the turn at the top of Inchicore Road ( Davitt Road ? ) will claim a few. :(

Heres hoping I'm wrong ( even if it is "Relatively few" :eek: )

An T

P.S. Victor, any views on Trams Vs Buses :)

It was not the case when there were trams in town before. - Far From It -
    Dublin was a city of cyclists and one opinion I've heard about back then (yes he is that old) was accidents were relatively few because people were aware of the tracks and avoided them.
    The issue is one of wheels getting 'caught' in the tramline.
    Largely yes, but with a 42mm groove, no motorbike is going to get caught in it.
    Anyone on top of just two thin wheels that approachs a rail at an oblique angle is at risk.
    Thsi makes it a cycling issue not a motorbiking issue.
    P.S. Victor, any views on Trams Vs Buses :)
    Not getting into that one. :) But, yes buses should be provided to the docklands to build public transport in advance of Luas being operational in the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭sligoliner

Should be more than feedng more punters into the Point.

To be welcomed, but...

http://www.platform11.org/luas_docklands.html

The Point Depot car car is expected to become a district centre (comparable in retail scale to say Rathmines). It's not necessarily a good idea to do this (Tyneside found serious ineficiencies in capacity by teminating at shopping centres).

Once it connects up to (a) any possible Spencer Dock station (b) is extended beyond the point to either the south quays or the East Wall and (c) integrates with existing and proposed routes.

• Advertisement

This is on today.

I went along yesterday.

They have three current proposals.

(a) as shown on the diagram. Stops at Connolly, Georges Dock, Custom House Square (NCI), Spencer Dock and Point Depot. Trams would stop at the existing (well under construction) stop at Connolly and then reverse out.

(b) looping around onto Sheriff Street at Connolly Station (i.e. Connolly Luas would get two move platform, but part of the line would be single track). Stops at Connolly, Sheriff St, Custom House Square (NCI), Spencer Dock and Point Depot.

(c) much as b, but providing single platform (one-way) services at Georges Dock and Sheriff St.

In each case the eastern end of the line is the same, with a 3-platform stop (where the dotted oval is shown). There is the possibility of extending this to East Point / Clontarf DART station or the Ferry Port (would suffer from very tidal usage with high usage as ferries came and went and little in between). There may be the potential for a stop between Spencer Dock and the Point Depot if the area develops sufficiently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Andrew Duffy

Why not option a, but with a stop on the main line as well as the spur? Then you could have short workings to and from Connolly and direct trams with just a short walk to the station.
    I missed the open day, unfortunately.

The problem with option a is it increases travel time by 30-60 seconds "unnecessarily".

I think they really just shot themsevles in the foot creating the Conolly Station part of this line. The idea of having it actually come into conolly and stop was just stupid.
    Conolly should have been just another stop that the Luas passes through. Spencer Dock should have been the end of line / turn around [extended into Dublin Port Ferry Terminal at a later date though]. Too late for them to do much about it though.

Option B nearly seems like the one they will choose.

Originally posted by Winters
    extended into Dublin Port Ferry Terminal at a later date though
    They are thinking of this, but the economics of this are questionable given the sudden surges in demand intermixed with long quiet periods as ferries come and go.

Given there is a broad gauge tramway on Alexandra Road, a diesel railcar service could be implemented relatively easily, just needing signal upgrades and platforms.

Originally posted by Victor
    a diesel railcar service could be implemented relatively easily, just needing signal upgrades and platforms.

Yes but i do believe such a small shuttle service would be a waste. It would be best to actually extend the luas and make it a terminal there. But they arnt that smart or willing to extend the luas. If they dont ever extend the luas it wil show how much a failing this city is for public transport.

Yes but i do believe such a small shuttle service would be a waste.
    It would provide a similar service to any Luas extension, but use existing stock and track and would only need a platform to be installed at the ferry port. No need to dig up a further 3km of road, lay new track and fit overhead power and substations. The Alexandra Road tramway is only about 300m from the ferry port.
    But they arnt that smart or willing to extend the luas.
    actually the opposite, I understand line B1 (Sandyford-Cherrywood) is more advanced than C1 and could start 2004-2005 assuming it gets past the public inquiry. They are also setting aside initial money to spend on the Metro, so there is commitment to expand, stymied only by political intransigence. No doubt, the miniature will want to make an announcement for expansion as the first trams start running the week before the local elections.

Advertisement