Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you use"hibernate"?

• 05-12-2003 5:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭

I just realise that not a lot of people I know does not use "hibernate" function.
    Do you use it?
    What is the longest time you left you laptop in hibernate?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

I used to use it in Windows 2000 Pro on my desktop for quick "booting" when it was powered up and when I knew the system was stable, but XP Pro is very fast at real booting so it's not really necessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,813 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

same, back when booting up took ages, hibernate would have been deadly, but did not work properly at the time. Now that it does work well, boot up time is so fast it doesn't make a difference either way. Only really useful on laptops these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

can be useful if it comes on automatically after certain amount of time, when you decide not to come back to your work for some reason or another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Originally posted by str8_away

What is the longest time you left you laptop in hibernate?

I use it all the time at work when going from desk to meetings and the like. I also hibernate before I go home at night.

The longest I have left it is probably over a long weekend, not a bother to my IBM T40 with XP Pro.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Originally posted by Captain Trips
    , but XP Pro is very fast at real booting so it's not really necessary.

Someone once told me about a program that makes XP boot up in 30 seconds, mine takes quite a while right now, anyone know a program to speed it up?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭bla

i use hibernate all the time currently my laptop is at 4 days and 19 hours but i have had it on for well over a week maybe even 2 weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭oneweb

I don't manually use hibernate in general, unless I'm right in the middle of a lot of tasks and closing and re-opening them all would be awkward. I also have it set to hibernate automatically after about an hour (PC).

It is what it's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

had a bad experience with hibernating

my nephew unplugged the keyboard and mouse from my sisters winme machine while it was running, i plugged them back in, but pc didn't recognise them, so tried to reboot pc by pressing the power button on the case, pc hibernated, and when i powered it back on it resumed where it left off, ie no keyboard or mouse.
    case had no reset button, pc would hibernate in about 5 seconds after pressing the power button, so i couldn't hold it press to force the pc to turn off, had to unplug the pc while it was running, pc booted fine, and i switched off hibernate support.

easy to fix really, but imagine some novice trying to sort it out if you weren't there, there'd be bits of pc everywhere.

actually its not a problem with 2k or xp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

i use it all the time in xp. this pc is a noisy beehatch at the best of times.
    sticking it in hibernate is a handy way to keep it quiet whilst idling, without having to close all the crap that you're working on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

no, never used it, the deepest i ever go on my desktop is turn off the monitor, i used to standby but couple of times the computer fell into coma and i couldn't wake it up and lost all the info, since then, only turn off the monitor, and besides, i can't go standby when i'm downloading

almost the same on laptop, when it's on DC it's only on turn off the monitor, when on batteries sometimes standby

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

Originally posted by Zascar
    Someone once told me about a program that makes XP boot up in 30 seconds, mine takes quite a while right now, anyone know a program to speed it up?

Yeah, the program is called bootvis.exe if I remember correctly. I used it on XP Pro Final Release in Mar '02 I think.

However, even though my system was very stable (and stopping me need Linux as well due to it might I add), I did a slipstream SP1 clean install using the original XP Pro and it's as fast I think as it was with old RTM XP Pro and bootvis.

Also, there are plenty of tutorials on the net on the services. There are loads, and most people don't need most of them. E.g., online gaming, net, etc., doesn't need have the crap that XP will launch anyway. Read the tutorials though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭str8_away

Thanks everyone for posting.

I have my laptop setting at
    10 minutes to stand by
    15 minutes to hibernate

I have not reboot my laptop in days and using it like PDA.

Captain Trips: can you post some of thoes links, thanks

Advertisement