Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB to parallel adaptor

• 05-12-2003 5:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭

Hi all,
    A friend of mine is trying to connect an USB printer to a parallel port of a windows 95 PC via usb to parallel convertor. Anyway its not working. In my opinion it won't work, and that the adaptor is for connecting old parallel devices to usb ports, is this correct?
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

as you boot the machine go to the BIOS

There are three types of parallel port , the BIOS allows you to set them

AT (aka Bi Directional) is the 'old ' setting

the newer ones are

EPP
    ECP

Try each in turn, windows will 'find' new hardware after each change.

Maybe reboot once for luck after windows finds it and try then

finally there is a property setting (device manager, find the port, right click ) for Parallel ports in Windows which is 'try not to use IRQ' , you may have to tell windows to use an IRQ so there are a few more permutations there.

Should do it.

M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭theshadow

Tried all of your suggestions but no luck, thanks anyway. I still believe this adaptor only works from a USB port to a parallel device and not the other way. For example, when I plug it into the usb port on my PC a little power LED comes on. When I plug it into my friends parallel port no LED.
    BTW, has anybody seen this to work? i.e. connecting a USB to Windows 95 machine via its parallel port.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

No it can't be done.

1. the drivers for the printer would almost certainly require 98
    2. the converter you have is to attach a parallel device to a USB enabled PC.

Only common Paralell port Printers nowadays are the epson c62 and c82.
    Both still require 98 though.

Try find a HP 3820 - it's only recent common printer that works with 95, it is out of production though.

tribble

Advertisement