Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official status for Irish (press release)

Options
  • 05-12-2003 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭

STÁDAS NA GAEILGE SAN EORAIP

Ní bheidh an deis chéanna go deo arís ann chun stádas oifigiúil oibre a bhaint amach don Ghaeilge san Aontas Eorpach. Tá comhghuaillíocht láidir curtha le chéile faoi scáth na heagraíochta nua aonaidhme, STÁDAS, agus feachtas á thionscnamh a bhfuil sé mar chuspóir aige dul i bhfeidhm ar an Rialtas faoi seo. Tá ionadaithe ann ó Chonradh na Gaeilge, Comhdháil Náisiúnta na Gaeilge, Gaelscoileanna, Comhar na Múinteoirí Gaeilge, FIONTAR, Oideas Gael agus Comhaltas Ceoltóirí Éireann mar aon le hionadaithe ón earnáil dlí.(Beo, eagrán na Nollag) Bí páirteach san fheachtas seo, scríobh chuig agus labhair le do Theachta Dála agus chuirimis an éagóir seo ina ceart.

LANGUAGE STATUS IN EUROPE

The opportunity to obtain official status for the Irish language in Europe will never be as good again. A strong alliance has being formed under the auspices of the newly formed organisation STÁDAS, who are initiating a campaign with the objective of influencing the Government about this matter. It comprises of representatives from Conradh na Gaeilge, Comhdháil Náisiúnta na Gaeilge, Gaelscoileanna, Comhar na Múinteoirí Gaeilge, FIONTAR, Oideas Gael agus Comhaltas Ceoltóirí Éireann as well as representatives from the legal sector.(Beo, December edition). Be part of this campaign, write and speak to your local TD and this injustice can be put to rights.

TUILLEADH EOLAIS | MORE INFO:
    http://www.cnag.ie/
    http://www.beo.ie/2003-12/caint.asp
    Litir shamplach le fáil ag: http://www.cnag.ie/nuacht/litir.htm
    http://www.gaelport.com/nuachtnag/newsview.adp?article=500006668
    http://www.gaelport.com/nuachtnag/newsview.adp?article=500006667

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭Blackjack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Nior oibrigh sé domsa. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭Blackjack

D'Oibrigh sé dhomsa nuair a thriall mé é ag 6.25.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

Sinithe agam.

Signed by me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Me fein (ceapim me?)

• Advertisement

Tá sínithe agam anois. :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Sínigh mé é freisin, 3 uair.(seoladh difrúil)

Agus tá gach uile duine i mo chlann chun freisin! Níl fios acu fós ach nuair a faigheann siad an ríomhphoist uaim, beidh siad ag sínigh freisin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Sínigh mé é freisin!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Ceapaim féin gur smaoineamh maith é an fogra seo a chur suas ar mbord a geobhaigh níos mo ard. Tá sé cuirte suas agam ar trí príomh bord ar suiomhanna difruil, agus fuair mé go leor tacaíocht uaidh! Tá i bhfad níos mo seansanna le haghaidh sinithe a fháil.

Céard a ceapann sibh?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Panda

36475 anim a sínigh, atm.

sínigh mé é freisin....

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Panda
    36475 anim a sínigh, atm.

sínigh mé é freisin....

Ar m'anam! Ni raibh me ag súil le sin. Nach iontach an áis i an t-idirlion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

This is so stupid.

Why should Irish be an official language?

How will it NOT being an official language harm us in any way shape or form.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭ReefBreak

Originally posted by Dustaz
    This is so stupid.

Why should Irish be an official language?

How will it NOT being an official language harm us in any way shape or form.
    I'll repost what I said on the other forum, seeing as how you obviously don't seem to understand why the petition is pointless:

This is driving me ****ing nuts. I have received an email from about 4 different people asking me to "demand that the Irish language be declared an official working language of the European Union."

http://www.PetitionOnline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?gaedhilg

Crikey. There already over 34,000 saddos that have signed this, usually with some sort of MOPE invective attached.

Look, there are currently 11 "official working languages" in the EU: German (spoken by Germany, Austria and Belgium), English (UK and Ireland), Spanish, Danish, Finnish, French (France and Belgium), Dutch (Netherlands and Belgium), Greek, Italian, Portuguese and Swedish (Sweden and Finland). When the EU is expanded, this list will be increased to 20 to encompass the new entrants.

Catalan, Basque, Welsh, Irish, Flemish are just a few of the languages that are NOT considered Official Working Languages. In fact, Catalan would be the seventh most spoken language (10 million speakers) were it Official.

A working language means that all "EU treaties and regulations are published in them. As they are working languages, all internal and procedural documents are published in them and official meetings must take place with simultaneous translation." *

So in the case of Irish, EVERY official EU document and and EVERY official EU meeting would have to be translated into Irish. It was be a pointless waste of time and money. In fact there might not even be any native Irish speakers left in Ireland - they'd all be working in Brussels. :-)

This petition is the most pointless, nit-picky, pathetic, waste of time ever. Don't sign it - it's another Internet poll that makes us look bunch of sad and repressed gobsheens.

* Quote from here

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Reefbreak, I agree with you, i was questioning the original petition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭ReefBreak

Originally posted by Dustaz
    Reefbreak, I agree with you, i was questioning the original petition.
    Please accept my apologies, I didn't read your post correctly. I hang my head in shame...etc, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

This letter from Monday’s Irish Times is a bit more balanced than ReefBreak’s rant:
    Madam –

It now seems likely that, from next May the EU will have twenty official languages and Irish, the oldest, and , some would say the richest of all European languages will not be included. In May, EU law will be amended to ~ insert Estonian, Latvian, Lithuanian, Polish, Czech, Slovak, Hungarian, Slovene and Maltese, which has circa 380,000 speakers, something similar to Irish.

This means that from May next, all official documents will be translated only into the twenty official languages and will not be available in Irish in Ireland.

Furthermore, whenever job opportunities arise within the EU they will be open to EU citizens who can speak two or more official languages, thereby putting Irish citizens ata disadvantage as, Irish will be disregarded.

For each new official language the EU will employ 110 new translators and 40 new interpreters. If Irish were included, such opportunities would also be open to, Irish people.

The funding for all this will come from. the EU translation, budget, which currently costs €2 per person and to which Ireland will be contributing in any event.

The EU is based on diversity of different cultures, which makes multi-lingualism essential to the European project. As the influence of the EU in our everyday lives grows, any language excluded from EU business will come under great pressure. and its future will be in doubt. It can be both realistic and practical to have Irish as an official EU language as EU institutions may stipulate in their rules of procedure which official languages are to be used in specific cases. In practice, the normal day-to-day working languages used, for example, in the European Commission are English, French and increasingly German.

Relay languages are used in the translation of languages of, small nations, for example Maltese is translated into English, and then to Slovene and vice-versa. Such an arrangement would, address the practical difficulties of translation for Irish.

Next month the Taoiseach, Mr Ahern, takes over the role of EU President. It is vital that he now considers the future role of the Irish language in Europe. - Yours, etc.,

MATT NOLAN
    Ballagh
    Mullingar
    Co. Westmeath

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Sinithe agam freisin

An scéal is déanaí:
    Campaign for Irish language to be given EU status

19:06 A representative of Irish language campaign group STÁDAS today addressed the National Forum on Europe and called for the recognition of Irish as an official EU language.

Ó shuíomh an Irish Times

Ní féidir an chuid eile de a léamh muna bhfuil síntiús agat.:-(

Bh cúpla scéal faoi ar an raidió chomh maith. An grúpa nua é STÁDAS?

There were a couple of stories about it on the radio too. Is STÁDAS a new grouping?

Is brú-ghrúpa é chun go ndeanfaí teanga oifigiúil den Ghaeilge san AE ach níl a fhios agam caithin a bunaíodh é.

It's a pressure group to make Irish an official language of the EU but I don't know when it was founded.

• Advertisement

Dé Céadaoin an 5ú la Feabhra ritheadh rún trí Chomhairle an Aontais, Aontas na Mac Léinn, NUI Má Nuad, a thug cead do Oifigeach na Gaeilge litir gearáin a sheoladh chuig an rialtas ar son na mac léinn go léir, maidir le neamh-stádas na Gaeilge mar theanga oifigiúil san Aontas Eorpach.

On Wednesday the 5th of February the Union Council of NUI Maynooth Students' Union passed a motion permitting the Irish Officer to send a letter of complaint on behalf of all the students to the government regarding the non-status of Irish as an official EU language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭Gleanndún

personally, i think its absoutely retarded for irish to be excluded--and that goes for many of those other languages too. how can they justify excluding catalan when there are 13 other official languages with less speakers? doesnt half of belgium speak flemmish? how can you deny the officiality of a language when its name is derived from the countries name (i.e. ireland->irish; luxembourg->luxembourgish). doesnt a country's own decision on official language have nething 2 do with it? i was ready a law passed by the irish government the other day, and if i understand correctly, a person has the right to a court hearing in irish and english, or irish alone. english alone is mysteriously absent. and it was my impression that the same was true for official documents as well. how can that not be important?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭TrickyRicky

A chara,

Tar éis mhéadú na Bealtaine, beidh 20 teanga oifigiúil ag an Aontas
    Eorpach. Ní áireofar Gaeilge. Leasófar dlí an AE (Rialachán Comhairle
    1/1958) chun Eastóinis, Laitvis, Liotuáinis, Polainnis, Seicis,
    Slóvacais,
    Ungáiris, Slóivéinis agus Máltais (a bhfuil c.380,000 cainteoirí aici
    ar
    nós na Gaeilge) a chur isteach.
    1. Aistreofar dlíthe an Aontais agus doiciméid oifigiúla isteach
    sna
    teangacha oifigiúla nua. Ní foláir dlíthe a achtaíonn an tOireachtas a
    chur
    amach i nGaeilge agus i mBéarla. Cé go gcuirtear dlíthe an AE i
    bhfeidhm go
    díreach in Éirinn, ní chaithfear iad (seachas conarthaí) a chur amach
    as
    Gaeilge.
    2. Bíonn postanna in institiúidí an AE oscailte do shaoránaigh an
    Aontais a bhfuil 2 cheann (nó níos mó) de theangacha oifigiúla an AE
    acu.
    Fágtar an tÉireannach faoi mhíbhuntáiste mar ní thugtar Gaeilge san
    áireamh.

3. Fostóidh an tAontas 110 aistreoirí breise agus 40 teangairí
    breise i
    gcomhair gach teanga oifigiúla nua. Dá mbeadh Gaeilge san áireamh,
    bheadh
    deiseanna fostaíochta ann dá réir do Éireannaigh.

íocfadh ciste aistriúcháin an AE (a chosnaíonn €2 an
    duine
    faoi láthair) as an gcúram sin agus ní foláir Éirinn íoc
    isteach
    sa chiste sin pé scéal é.
    Tá an tAontas bunaithe ar éagsúlacht cultúir, rud a fhágann an
    t-ilteangachas ag croí-lár an Tionscnaimh Eorpaigh. Agus tionchar an
    Aontais ar ár saol laethúil ag méadú, is teanga faoi bhrú aon teanga a
    bheas dúnta amach ó ghnóthaí an AE agus ní féidir dul i mbannaí ar a
    bhfuil
    i ndán di.

Níor ghá gach uile cháipéis a aistriú go Gaeilge: Féadfaidh institiúidí

an
    AE a leagan síos ina gcuid rialacha féin cé acu teangacha oifigiúla a
    mbainfear leas astu i gcásanna áirithe(Rialachán Comhairle 1/1958,
    Airteagal 6). Ó lá go chéile, is iad gnáth-theangacha oibre Choimisiúin
    na
    hEorpa, m.sh., ná Béarla, Fraincis agus úsáid na Gearmáinise ag méadú
    léi
    freisin.
    Freisin, baintear leas as teangacha "droichid" chun teangacha na
    náisiún
    beag a aistriú; m.sh. aistrítear Mailtis go Béarla agus ansin go
    Slóivéinis
    agus vice versa. Bheadh a leithéid de leagan amach oiriúnach don
    Ghaeilge.

Ní gá don Rialtas ach a iarraidh go mbeadh an Ghaeilge ina teanga
    oifigiúil
    den AE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭TrickyRicky

Following the accession in May, the EU shall have 20 official
    languages.
    Irish will not be included. EU law (Council Regulation 1/1958) shall be

amended to insert Estonian, Latvian, Lithuanian, Polish, Czech, Slovak,

Hungarian, Slovene and Maltese (which similar to Irish has c.380,000
    speakers).

1. EU laws and official documents shall be translated into the new
    official EU languages. Laws enacted by the Oireachtas must be issued in

Irish and English. Although EU law is directly enforceable in Ireland,
    the
    EU is not obliged to issue European laws (except treaties) in Irish.

2. Whenever job opportunities with EU institutions arise, these are
    open to EU citizens who can speak 2 (or more) official EU languages.
    Irish
    citizens applying for such jobs are disadvantaged as Irish is
    disregarded.

3. For each new official language, the EU shall engage 110 new
    translators and 40 new interpreters. Were Irish also included, such
    employment opportunities would present for Irish people.

The funding for all this would come from the EU translation budget
    (which
    currently costs €2 per person) and to which Ireland shall
    contribute
    in any event.

The EU is based on a diversity of different cultures, which makes
    multilingualism essential to the European Project. As the influence of
    the
    EU in our everyday lives grows, any language excluded from EU business
    will
    come under great pressure and its future will be in doubt.

Not every single document would need to be translated into Irish: EU
    institutions may stipulate in their rules of procedure which official
    languages are to be used in specific cases (Council Regulation 1/1958,
    Article 6). In practice, the normal day-to-day working languages used,
    for
    example, in the European Commission, are English, French and
    increasingly,
    German.

Also, relay languages are used in the translation of languages of small
    nations; e.g.: Maltese is translated into English and then to Slovene
    and
    vice versa. Such an arrangement would address the practical modalities