Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I replace the XP Pro product key?

Options
  • 05-12-2003 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭

I had to load XP Pro on my machine in an emergency rebuild and 'borrowed' a product key. I now have the product key I should've used and want to substitute it. Please tell me I don't have to reload the OS to do this.
    Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    Regards, iwb.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The SYSPREP utility on the CD or the site (can't remember) will "reseal" XP, so you have to reenter the S/N again.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭iwb

Thanks for the help. I followed the instructions on the volume licensing thing but it didn't work. It won't take the new product key. I guess the key I 'borrowed' is a volume licensing key. The XP Pro that I bought is a retail one. Will this procedure work in that case?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

ok

start > run > "oobe/msoobe /a"

activate by phone, change key yada yada yada

I did all that. It won't accept the new key. What I want to know is if it is because the key I want to use is retail and the software I used is based on volume licensing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

Do a search on Google for "windows xp product key changer".

There's a good guide here:
    http://ryan.ript.net/xppid/

Thanks for all your help guys. I found out that having used a disk for volume licensing, I can't now replace the product key with one from the retail version. I guess I have to reload XP with the disk.
    Thanks again, iwb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

IWB, you can make your reinstall somewhat easier on you if you use the migration wizard and back up your current configuration.

When you reinstall the new Win XP, you can reapply your settings that you backed up....

Advertisement