Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SSF AMD boxes

Options
  • 05-12-2003 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for SSF boxes that take an AMD cpu instead of the (it seems) inevitable Intel one, I've only thought about this right now so there may be lots out there I dont really know. This thought came about when looking at the new Slicxs(sp??) computers from creative with an AMD cpu they could be real cheap nice PCs;).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

You can't have looked too hard. Theres ton of AMD shuttles. Lots of places have a good selection of them.

www.ultim8pc.co.uk
    www.overclockers.co.uk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

I have shuttle sn41g2 works like a charm as long as you dont have too many add in cards.

Built in Gfx and sound and everything else - and if you're a gamer just add a decent GFX and away ya go.

I have an XP2500 clocked to almost a 3200 (3100 and a bit) - cant quite get to 400Mhz fsb on these coz the V1 Nforce2 boards are unstable at 400.

I currently have a SN62 (I think it is) on order for a mate - basically the same except an Nforce2 Ultra board with no GFX in it. Should get slightly better overclock ;).

Cooling is well thought out and engineered - if a bit on the noisy side - @3200 with a Radeon 9800se + dvd burner anyhows!!!! (compared to new big cases anyway - the noise level is about the same as my celery 300a@450 mini tower that sits in the corner ;)

And there's also a perverse part of me that likes that silver and orange SFF pc that looks like a cheap dixons hifi. Think its an MSI???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

You can't have looked too hard. Theres ton of AMD shuttles. Lots of places have a good selection of them.

I didn't :p
    I've only thought about this right now

It just struck me as a nice little box to get my sis for x-mas but was a little worried about getting one cause I've heard that they are not really up to the job and basically are really not something you would want to splash out on:D. Then again my sis will hardly be using it 4 anything more strenous then Generals/RA2/Enemy-Territory/Sven-Coop/GTA:VC and those games run at an acceptable rate on my old 1900+ so it should be fine, now of to the matriarch for financing, should be easy:D.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Yeah, that's the MSI mega pc.

cant quite get to 400Mhz fsb on these coz the V1 Nforce2 boards are unstable at 400.

How can you get it to OC that much! surely it wouls be VERY unstable my 1900 collapses if I OC from 133Mhz to 145Mhz. I think my problem is the fact my PCI bus is unlocked its 145/36 so the PCI cards bring the lot down:(. Still that is some impressive OCing I know though that the 2500 is brill for that, it really seems to have an awful lot of legs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

The barton XP2500 is built on the same wafers as the higher clock speed bartons including the XP3200 and all the XP3200 is a 2500 running at 400mhz fsb instead of 33 the cpu multiplier doesnt even need changing. AMD have really good yields on the bartons so the chances are that most low spec bartons will be rebadged high spec ones.

The original Nforce2 boards were designed for max 400mhz - indeed they were advertised as usuable at that speed. I was most miffed when I found mine (and everybody elses from the forums I have seen wouldnt hit 400mhz.
    Having said that mine will hit 397mhz with no voltage change. Thus the Nforce2 Ultra boards appeared pretty swiftly grrrrr. I expect they just bunged a couple more capacitors on or something.

The shuttle PCI and AGP buses can be fixed at 33 and 66 mhz thus removing any instability arising from overclocked cards.

So basically Xp2500 + PC3200 ddr + nforce2/ultra = xp3200 and the easiest overclock I've ever done. Just a note of warning tho - my shuttle doesnt have multiplier unlocking build into it so you are restricted to FSB changes only. All the usual caveats about overclocking also apply ;)

Well 140Mhz seems to be all I can get out of this pile of silicon:( and that is with my VCore up to 1.9V!, at least since I have PC2700 RAM I can change the latency from 2.5 to 2.0 and suffer no instability....but still thats a pretty useless OC.

Ohh and the multiplier is stuck at 12 if I could at least move it to 12.5 I'd get something extra, but no it's locked:(.

Advertisement