Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How come there's never any competitions?

Options
  • 11-12-1999 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭

When bloodbath was held at CIT during rag week we raised money for charity. If some computer store like PCWorld of Gateway held one they would probably make a bit of money out of it and advertise their range at the same time.

If a cyber cafe held one they would make some money, and probably get extra bookings for practice sessions.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Why dont you ask a cyber cafe or PC company about it then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

Sounds wonderful but the truth is that there is no real orgainisational ability to get stuff going anymore now that Devore is gone. With the posible exception of MindPhuck ,still waiting on details of your Big Lan Eric smile.gif , no one is making any steps to organise the workers for the ultimate overthrow of capitalim... or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭DeV

Um, DeVore is most certainly not gone, but right now is not the time for it.

Maybe is I get more time... like in another life. Meanwhile, why dont you give it a go Blitz...

DeV.

You will notice I said Devore, you currently go under the name Dev. The difference is subtle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭SHADOW

Well I was keeping quiet on it but I've been trying to organise a big competition here @ Nethouse in the New Year.....

So I put it to the boards....If anyone has any useful suggestions..i.e stuff learned thru mistakes in other comps...etc
    I would be more than welcome to entertain them.....

Also What kind of lvl of interest would there be.....21 PC's dosen't have to be the limit.

[This message has been edited by SHADOW (edited 12-12-1999).]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Have enough power wink.gif

[Insert cool quote here]
    Play GLminesweeper!
    http://www.iol.ie/~adamj/dl/mineswp.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Just make sure the rules are clear about things like bringing your own mouse, what levels will be used, etc

What games / rules to be played in games should be put in advance. I'd love to see a q3 4v4 compo. If something like this was organised I would say it would go a LONG way towards the setting up of clans etc. as people would have something to work towards.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

If you get everyone there and sort out the cafe etc, I'll run UT and Q3 competitions.
    Maybe even some SC. I'll have a thunk... thats if you want me to smile.gif

DeVore.

I reckon all thats needed is a prize of some sort and things will start organising themselves...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 fugazilazarus

such as a weekend for two in crumlin , or a lifetimes membership for PEATWORLD in rathangan .
    heh heh.

nasa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Bunny

They're having a SNS allnighter i just read in some cybercafe in england...its not too serious.

16 people enter, yous all pay a tenner.
    You play ffa's, halfing the amount of players each time till there are two left, they duke it out and the winner gets the 160 quid (16 players x ten quid)
    Sounds alright to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Slosh

Dont reckon Presidente.. do summat about it..

It has been suggested to me that an all rounder comp might be a good idea?

For example..there would be three rounds
    Pnts wood be awarded for 1, 2, 3, 4th pos.
    People with the highest pnts would move on...etc.

Three games wood have to be played: UT, Q3 and a strat game....ie - SC or AOE2
    This wood make it more even 4 every1...
    E.G. - Someone good @ UT wood hav the same chance as someone good @ Q3 or AOE2.

@ this pt I'm only throwing out ideas people here hav cum up with....If u hav any critisisms make them constructive otherwise this will never get of the ground

DeV
    I'm not ready to totally hand this one over just yet.....however I would appreciate it if u mailed me to discuss it further.
    I'm @ Nomegas@Ireland.com

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Well I'll help on the day, beyond that please feel free to sort out all the other stuff... would be nice to just turn up and play for once smile.gif

Dev.

Mixing the games is ****e! No one has enough time to practice a number of different games. The team based solution of the UK PC games championship is ****e too. Everybody wants to play Q3 or UT, hardly anyone wants to play SC or AOE2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

i think you'll find more ppl wanting to play SC than UT..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Excelsior

El Pres, you could offer your TLC album collection as a prize, Rory is already offering a keyring, Phil is handing over his Iron Hammer coat- (A real Soviet relic) and you can have my 1988 Celtic jersey if you like. What more encouragement do you need??????

I dont know Kev, how about a free trip to Letrim.

• Advertisement

Not from where I'm sitting.

Almost everybody prefers a fps to a rts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Excelsior

You're alive!!! Excelsior. Good idea too. If we organise the competition for before 2000, you're prize can be an invite to the most exclusive and sexy millenium party- mine! It is being held in Adoon, a small estate in Gorvagh, a picturesque townland between Mohill and Cloone the most cosmopolitan of Leitrim's cities. the advantages of this party are clear:
    my house is cool, I have a lake and a river and fields and a forest and 486 DX2 down there. Aswell, i have no nearby neighbours so I can make lots of noise.
    Come on people, if you can't get enthusiastic about that- then check your pulse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

From where im sitting, i would think that everybody would prefer a good fps to a bad rts, but since rts' are easier to write, you end up with more <rappy ones. All the really bad fps' get directed to a console, where thay can be bad in style smile.gif
    UT and Q3A are brilliant for a while, but variation is important, and while I wouldnt encourage SC or C&C:TS, I think Dark Reign and AOE2 would go down well.

A

We could nip this arguement in the bud and just play q3?

[This message has been edited by El_Presidente (edited 13-12-1999).]

With the tripmines, satchel charges, gauss guns, etc. of a game like Half Life there is plenty of variation, especially multiplayer.

I agree with the stick with Q3 though I don't have it yet.

Arrgh noooooo!!! It's slipping down the pecking order!!! There'll never be a competition!!! I'm using too many exclamation marks!!!!

Well Blitz...
    Anyone who's shown any interest in the whole thing has been for quake...

So I guess that's what I'll hav to run with.

The game is was out yesterday...so there will be lots of time for everyone to practise. wink.gif

The Shadow

Advertisement