Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Support for those quitting smoking

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭opelmanta

hi all.
    this is my first time tryin to quit...way harder than i thought. i quit on monday night(26th) out of the blue and did really well until last night when i had a few pints and bought a pack. smoked three of them las night but didnt smoke any today but am in really bad form and the patches are doin nothin for me.
    aaargh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Hey

Gave up on Monday after getting the all clear from a biopsy result..

I wouldnt smoke that much maybe 10 a day but I am like a lunatic today. I want to start trying for a baby again after xmas, I have all the motivation and I amn't atually craving the cigarette itself, It is more the feeling I get from it.

Doe this make sense?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

It's certain receptors in your brain looking for the nicotene. Or so I'm told.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭mox54

gave up Aug 04, not a fag since but used tipped cigars at first to kick the habit, would have one when cravings got real bad, say for first 6 weeks or so would smoke 4 a week and also when out drinking have maybe 3 or so, they tasted foul and were awful but got rid of the cravings and were a good subsitute, also ate loads of wrigleys extra for first 6 months, gave cigars and gum up after 6 months and haven't looked back since, can now go out and drink my head off and not even want a fag!, best move I ever made and they are a stupid habit, I pity smokers now!!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Still off them, feeling good, Not in bad mood first thing in the morning the last 3 days. I even lasted a night out on the piss!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Fony Tenton

Gave up at 11 o clock yesterday morning. I read most of the allen carr book before(about 2 years ago) and gave it back before I finished it because I realised I actually didnt want to quit.
    Well now I do. I work driving around a lot so I listened to the book again in audio book form,finished it at about 11 o clock yesterday,had my last smoke and threw away the remaining 16 or so in the box. Had a bit of a craving earlier after I hate a bite to eat,but it soon went. I'd recommend the aller carr method to anyone trying,it makes you want to try harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Nimi85

Hey everyone... day three and so far so good... kind of..

Im sitting my finals for my degree next week and I really WANT to do this but I need a little convincing that i CAN! I normally do everything with a cigarette in hand, but I've made it this far... Surely if I can get through my exams without a smoke I'll never look back??... Sorry, having a bit of a moment here.... anyone got a marlboro?? JOKE

Of course you can do it.
    You've made it through the toughest part.
    Just remember that it will be a lot easier next week, when you are actually sitting the exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Nimi85

thanx .. im gonna try my may west... im a stubborn bitch so i shud be fine

:p

good luck everyone else... YOU CAN DO IT!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 hugs

Hi all,

This is my 2nd day of the fags, so far so good. I am using the patches. This is my 6 time trying to do this. Really want to quit cause can't afford them anymore. I am getting married this year at the end of December so one of the girls in the office decided to caulate how much I would spend in a year on fags. If I smoke 20 fags a day for 365 is will cost me 2, 737.50 euro that a hell of a lot of money. My other half didn't think I was giving them up until he came home yesterday evening and saw that I had left my fags behind me. He then got them and put them into the fire and the same with his own he then when to the shop and got chewing gum. I know we are both going to really bad form for the next couple of weeks. But can you imagine if I spend 2,737.50 on myself on fags & he spends the same that 5,475.00 on fags alone in one year. That would be some honeymoon. We have just moved in to your new house in April and everybody said are ye going to smoke in your new house and we ask of course in is our house. But the smell of smoking in the sitting room would make you vomit. Plus told the other half can you imagine how much fitter we would be . All help on staying of these fags would be great I think the more support you get the better. Best of luck to all.

• Advertisement

dooit3ht.gif

Do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 hugs

Thanks
    Terry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Orlee

I picked Cold Turkey and Other

3 years and 1 month off them so far, A woo hoo :D
    (although a sneaky one was had on New Years Eve but that just made me feel so ill and I remembered why I gave them up in the first place)

I went Cold Turkey but I did so with a lot of help as I had a partner in crime.

My boyfriend was in hospital having his tonsils removed and physically couldn't smoke for 2 weeks so he decided to keep on with it and see if he could kick it alto her. After about a week, I noticed I wasn't smoking as much since I'd no smoking buddy to accompany me out into the cold night for a ciggie, so I decided to give it a go myself.

Since we weren't smoking around each other, it made the initial shock a lot easier to take and we just took it one day at a time. The only thing was, we found ourselves eating a hell of a lot more to compensate I think so I had to watch that too. Carrots became my best friend, I had something to do with my hands and it stopped me eating everything in sight (sad I know but it worked for me)

the main thing I did was try not to make a big deal out of it - I kind of tricked myself into thinking that I was taking a holiday from them as the thought of NEVER EVER having another one frightened the life out of me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

Off them since three weeks ago, went cold turkey. I was a smoker for the last three years, and was on ten a day, so I suppose I wasn't that addicted. Cigarettes are being replaced by coffee at the moment though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Cato

I smoked for years, the best way to give up imo to see/feel the effects of years of smoking have done to your body and the best way find out is to do a few laps of a pitch, you will realise that you cannot run any reasonable distance without gasping for breath. More importantly you have to want to give as well, i gave up for fitness reasons and once i started training i realised i just could noot keep on smoking and expect to be areboicaly fit in order to run 3+ miles so i just quit and havent gone back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭carpainter

I'll be celebrating 9 years of freedom from tobacco addiction next week and am I glad. Cold turkey and a very supportive partner did it for me; I used to smoke the (very) odd cigar since quitting cigarettes, but I haven't bothered with those either in well over a year. I chanelled my time and money into a hobby I loved instead and every time I get pleasure from that hobby I'm reminded why I gave up in the first place and why I'll never go back. I think the advent of the smoking ban has made it a lot easier for smokers who want to quit, there is no greater incentive than these cold days! Best of luck to all those who are trying to get free of the weed, it can be done and life is so much better without it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭AsianDub

Terry wrote: »
    It's certain receptors in your brain looking for the nicotene. Or so I'm told.

Get prescription for Champix from your doctor. It blocks the receptors. Been using it now a week and feel fine after giving up smoking 20 day for 10 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Chunky Monkey

Careful man that stuff can cause depression (it is messing with your brain after all).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭AsianDub

Yeah guess you're right, consult a doctor first. As with all medicine there are side effects and different ones depending on the person. I just thought I'd be depressed anyway from giving up the smokes. To be honest I haven't felt any depression, just tiredness but that won't be the same for everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 meko

Off them four months. Read allen carr book & wrote down all reasons for giving up such as money, health, kids giving out to me. Bought the patches for emergency but stayed cold turkey so far. It is as easy or as hard as you make it. I had my down days but as soon as you realise your giving the longing for a fag too much thought you will snap out of it. What allen carr says is true, fags do not cure boredom. You think better without them, feel better and certainly look better. My only worry is four months is small compared to some of you and when some one tells me your now a non smoker! I feel it better to say i,m trying to be and its working so far.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Saint Alan Carr (he should get the "Saint" title!)

Tried cold turkey numerous occasions, the longest stretch being 4 of the longest, most torturous months of my life!!. Off them just over 2 weeks now and no desire to start smoking again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭blaze1

thanks for the info on the champix, have been on them this week, forgot to take one yesterday which was harsh but other than that. Have started a bit of a fitness regime as well which is helping, Do champix really mess your head bigtime????

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 fixernixer

Howyas? I registered tonight just to throw up this post, the thing is I am quitting smoking at the mo. I am 2 days with out a smoke but I dont have much experience giving up. I have been a pretty happy smoker for the last 13 years or so, but lately I decided enough was enough for all the reasons you know ourselves.
    I am going cold turkey, no patches or champix or books or anything but I never smoked in my house which makes it easier. From what I have been told the third day is a milestone, everybody ya talk to seems to be an expert in giving up but few of them have actually done it. Maybe thats why i am here.

Anyway thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 mikey08

If you rub your tummy while you smoke then you won't get lung cancer.FACT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭ali.c

mikey08 wrote: »
    If you rub your tummy while you smoke then you won't get lung cancer.FACT.

Is that like the way you cant get pregant if you have sex standing up????

@fixernixer i dont think anyone is claiming to be an expert its more what has worked / not worked for them more so than anything else!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Cato

cold turkey is the best way if ya can hack it, you shouldent really bother, thats my motto

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 krissie

i slipped for a couple of days last week... then quit again. day 3 again, and it was one of the best weekends i've had in ages. without ciggies :D i feel like bragging to the world!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 krissie

it should be Allen Carr, not Alan Carr..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Predhead

fixernixer wrote: »
    Howyas? I registered tonight just to throw up this post, the thing is I am quitting smoking at the mo. I am 2 days with out a smoke but I dont have much experience giving up. I have been a pretty happy smoker for the last 13 years or so, but lately I decided enough was enough for all the reasons you know ourselves.
    I am going cold turkey, no patches or champix or books or anything but I never smoked in my house which makes it easier. From what I have been told the third day is a milestone, everybody ya talk to seems to be an expert in giving up but few of them have actually done it. Maybe thats why i am here.

Anyway thanks :)

Hey, I just reg'd myself this evening.

Anyway here goes:

I gave up at new years after smoking on & off for the last 12 years or so. I did try before to give up but was unsuccessful. I think the thing that worked most for me was the way I've appraoched it - I look at it as giving myself every chance for a longer, healthier life rather than looking at it as though I'm denying myself of something I want. But I think you can only give up if you really want to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Chunky Monkey

Fair play to those of you going cold turkey. I've tried it, didn't work. Guess my heart wasn't in it though.

Here's an interesting article on the Champix:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7115696.stm

Here's another one:

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/100005109.html

How much are they on average here?

Advertisement